Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 14:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari P540 Superfast Aperta

Ferrari revealed the P540 which is the second car from the Ferrari Special Projects Program, the first one being P4/5. This entirely unique Ferrari was commissioned and partly developed by Edward Walson, whose claim to fame is that his dad invented cable TV.
The donor car is a Ferrari 599 and much of the development work went into strengthening the car after the roof was removed. It's pretty, it's road legal and it's the only in existence. It's got a 6.0 V12 engine that churns out 456KW(611bhp) engine with a max torque of 608Nm!
And IMO it looks ugly!

PRESS RELEASE

The first shake-down has been held at Fiorano of a very special one-off, the P540 Superfast Aperta, built for an American client. The car, the second in a new Special Projects programme created by Ferrari to meet requests from the most discerning clients and collectors to create truly unique models, is based on the 599 GTB Fiorano and was inspired by a Carrozzeria Fantuzzi-designed Ferrari built specifically for the 1968 Fellini film, Toby Dammit, itself inspired by one of the tales of Edgar Allan Poe.
The P540 Superfast Aperta's proud new owner, Edward Walson, son of John Walson, the inventor of cable TV, approached Ferrari in 2008 to produce a modern reinterpretation of the gold-coloured car in the film. "I had always dreamed of designing sports cars," Walson explains, "and when I saw this film the decision came of its own accord: one day I would have 'my' Ferrari."
In accordance with the Special Project's approach to producing such individual one-offs, the P540 Superfast Aperta respects all existing international safety and homologation requirements and is thus road legal. The car was designed by Pininfarina and built in Maranello, and the client was directly involved in each stage of its development. As the 599 GTB Fiorano donor car is a coupé, considerable effort went into strengthening the chassis by using finite element analysis in development and the increase in weight was kept down to just 20 kg by employing carbon-fibre extensively. From the initial sketches to the final, road-legal car took just 14 months.
As the client took delivery of the car at Fiorano his excitement was understandable: "This is the most special Christmas present of my life."
Attached Thumbnails
Ferrari P540 Superfast Aperta-090072car.jpg  

Ferrari P540 Superfast Aperta-090073car.jpg  

Ferrari P540 Superfast Aperta-090074car.jpg  

Old 12th December 2009, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Now this is a complete cocktail. Although it's based on the 599, I see 612 Scag, California, Corvette, McMerc SLR and what not. This car has a major identity crisis. It's a car. Never expected this from Pininfarina.
Old 12th December 2009, 19:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I wont blame pininfarina for this. They gave what the customer wanted.

It's ugly and the colour is even worse!
Old 12th December 2009, 21:15   #4
BHPian

Like the time they made a station wagon for the Sultan of Brunei.

Looks butt ugly in that colour. Maybe would look better in red/black.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

This car is definitely not ugly! It has classic lines which are ruined by the profile and those fussy air-vents.
Old 12th December 2009, 22:52   #6
BHPian

looks great IMO, the colour is not that bad too
Old 12th December 2009, 23:36   #7
BHPian

this show how different is taste of Americans in terms of cars
Old 13th December 2009, 00:25   #8
BHPian

I agree that this car is ugly and unlike any ferrari I have ever seen. It looks like there are more vents on this car than the total no. which ferrari has put on all its previous cars!!
Old 13th December 2009, 22:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Well.. It's not particularly ugly but not good looking either. Most modern Ferraris are not lookers anyway IMO.

This car sort of reminds me of the Spyker C8!
Old 14th December 2009, 10:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its a car made as per the wishes of that particular client. If he likes it and has the money to pay for it then who are we to pass judgment on it.

This is what makes it a one off car.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder with the deepest pockets !
Old 14th December 2009, 14:59   #11
BHPian

I think this car can be put in our wacky thread for having too many air vent and that at the tail of the car.
What a different taste the owner has !!
Old 14th December 2009, 15:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Alright, let's not blame Pininfarina, they were just catering to a client's demands.
But what was the client thinking?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Its a car made as per the wishes of that particular client. If he likes it and has the money to pay for it then who are we to pass judgment on it.

This is what makes it a one off car.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder with the deepest pockets !
Dude, do you mean to say that our beloved & priceless weird and wacky mod jobs thread should cease to exist?!
It's our daily dose of humor.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 14th December 2009 at 15:43.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:20   #13
BHPian

It looks bad, Alright !!! But on the other side I would like to ask all the people above who have stated it Ugly, given a chance to be in it. Would they say NO???
Old 14th December 2009, 19:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
It looks bad, Alright !!! But on the other side I would like to ask all the people above who have stated it Ugly, given a chance to be in it. Would they say NO???
Waise toh once you are inside any car you wouldn't care about it's looks 'coz people outside are at the receiving end of the eyesore. You would be reveling in the luxe interiors and ripping the car apart.
Does that mean you can still ignore the ghastly exterior?!
Some would go to the extent of commenting "I wouldn't be found dead in that! lol
Old 14th December 2009, 19:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Alright, let's not blame Pininfarina, they were just catering to a client's demands.
But what was the client thinking?!

Dude, do you mean to say that our beloved & priceless weird and wacky mod jobs thread should cease to exist?!
It's our daily dose of humor.

Its the clients will and wish I guess. If you have the money they give you the honey

I am not aware that I had recommended closure of that weird and wacky mod job thread anywhere.

Where can it be found by the way. I thought this was the International Auto Scene thread ??

Most Viewed