Team-BHP - US Army requires more capability than the HUMMERs!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   US Army requires more capability than the HUMMERs! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/7245-us-army-requires-more-capability-than-hummers.html)

Among other things:

? More protection for troops. Congressional pressure forced the military to add armor to all older Humvees and buy more models with factory-installed armor. But even Humvees with the latest armor are still vulnerable to the powerful bombs insurgents use.

? A beefier suspension that can handle the weight of the armor. The extra armor has led to increased maintenance problems for the Humvee, which wasn't designed to handle so much weight. The extra weight also makes the vehicle more prone to rolling over and getting bogged down in sand. That has cost the Humvee much of its legendary off-road capability.

? Lower fuel consumption, to reduce the need for supply convoys that have been targets of insurgents.

? Improved onboard power generation to handle the expanding array of electronics that troops take into battle today compared with the simple radios of 30 years ago. Hybrid-electric drivetrains, which are gaining popularity in passenger vehicles and are already being tested in current Humvee prototypes, are being considered to save fuel and generate power.

GTO

Source : USA Today Article

Its time for the Humvee's succesor finally........I never thought this day would come.......cant wait to see the next king of all vehicles. ( ok not king but surely the toughest)

...all the better to invade new lands!

But what will replace the HUMVEE? I actually cannot think of any other SUV currently in the world that can defy the worst terrains!! Nothin more powerful. May be my craziness for the Hummer is speaking that.

Not the US army,but the texas law enforcement agencies seem to have one souped up humvee - [article dated may 11 2006]

An unnamed Texas sheriff commissioned GeigerCars based in Europe to build the black-and-white beast. It's powered by a 7.0L supercharged V8 making the aforementioned Texas-sized allotment of 700 horses. You can see that the suspension's been lowered and tightened up to handle the extra power and larger eight-pot stoppers have been installed. The bigger brakes will be put to the test trying to arrest the motion of those one-piece chrome 28-inch rims after they've reached the H2's terminal velocity of 155 electronically-limited miles per hour.

GeigerCars Builds WorldÂ’s Fastest Police HUMMER
+
Texas law enforcement issued 700 HP Hummer - Autoblog

What about the Jeep Hurricane with 11.4 combined litres of engine or engines should i say? If they make that beast a bit more spacious to fit in a coupla more soldiers and more cover for the passengers i don't see any reason y it wont take h1's spot...there s power in it...style...uniqueness in more than one way.....needs bit more development to make it reality from concept world....other wise we always have our mahindra commanders on standby whenevr they want as many they want.....

7.0L V8??
Isnt that from the 'vette?

This Texas thing is weird. I don't see a county name anywhere on the Hummer. And I doubt taxpayers would be happy with this sort of thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 112052)
Among other things:

? More protection for troops. Congressional pressure forced the military to add armor to all older Humvees and buy more models with factory-installed armor. But even Humvees with the latest armor are still vulnerable to the powerful bombs insurgents use.

? A beefier suspension that can handle the weight of the armor. The extra armor has led to increased maintenance problems for the Humvee, which wasn't designed to handle so much weight. The extra weight also makes the vehicle more prone to rolling over and getting bogged down in sand. That has cost the Humvee much of its legendary off-road capability.

? Lower fuel consumption, to reduce the need for supply convoys that have been targets of insurgents.

? Improved onboard power generation to handle the expanding array of electronics that troops take into battle today compared with the simple radios of 30 years ago. Hybrid-electric drivetrains, which are gaining popularity in passenger vehicles and are already being tested in current Humvee prototypes, are being considered to save fuel and generate power.

GTO

Source : USA Today Article

And they still expect it to carry troops or weapons? And go through rough terrain?

Once you lose your mobility you've lost all tactical advantage. You may be armed to the proverbial gills, but what use it it if you cant move around?

The HumVee wasnt a very powerful vehicle anyway - all this extra weight is only going to make it even more of a sloth. A sitting duck - what's the point of all that armour?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 381726)
The HumVee wasnt a very powerful vehicle anyway - all this extra weight is only going to make it even more of a sloth. A sitting duck - what's the point of all that armour?

For city fighting. A lot of American casualties in Iraq have been the result of being hit by road side bombs. In assault mode, yes, what you say is right.

A nice page for anyone interested:

War in the Desert & the 6.2/6.5 HMMWV

Also the hybrid hummer:

The HUMVEE Goes Hybrid