Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 16:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

2012 Enzo replacement blasts in. F70.

It’s being hailed as the ultimate, most advanced road car Ferrari has ever made. Aiming to leave exotic rivals including the Lamborghini Reventón and Bugatti Veyron trailing, the ferocious flagship will break from the norm in more ways than one. And our stunning illustrations show how such a model could look.

It will be not only quicker and more focused than the Enzo, but smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, too. In addition, the latest rumours suggest a twin-turbo V8 will provide the power. It will be the first use of turbos in a production Ferrari since the 1987 F40, making this the spiritual successor to that definitive hypercar.

Internally codenamed the F70, the newcomer will use knowledge gathered from the FXX scheme. This invited customers to buy a pumped-up and stripped-out version of the Enzo for £1.5million, but allowed them to drive their purchases only on approved track days. Afterwards, they briefed Ferrari on possible improvements.

The philosophy behind this new downsized and lightweight hypercar is derived from 2007’s Millechilli concept. Although little more than a fibreglass model, it demonstrated Ferrari’s aim to increase the performance of future models by shedding weight, not by hiking power. Millechilli means 1,000kg in Italian. It’s an ambitious target for the F70’s kerbweight – a full 365kg less than the Enzo – but Ferrari is ready to apply every weight-saving measure possible.

Rival McLaren is leading the way in lightweight construction, with an F1-style carbon fibre tub forming the basis of its MP4-12C supercar, so Ferrari wants to regain the initiative in this area. An overhauled and shrunken tub, carbon fibre body panels – plus carbon-ceramic brakes and a no-frills cabin – should keep weight to a minimum. Ferrari already heads efforts to reduce CO2, having slashed output by 10 per cent in 2009. It promises further cuts from its current 387g/km average by 2012.

But reducing body mass alone won’t be enough to achieve this. To slash CO2 significantly, the engine also needs an advanced design. The Enzo’s V12 will make way for a new direct-injection twin-turbo V8 – the same layout as in the legendary F40. Output is likely to be on a par with the Enzo’s 660bhp, but that lower weight should put performance on another level. Expect a three-second 0-60mph time and top speed in excess of 230mph.

A twin-turbo V6 is also under consideration, to replace the 458 Italia and California’s V8s. Yet before either unit is signed off, engineers are keen to eliminate turbo lag. The F40 was famous for the delay between throttle inputs and the arrival of a savage wave of torque. But Ferrari claims it won’t resort to turbos again until it’s perfected the technology to give the instant response for which its naturally aspirated cars are renowned.

One option is electric or hybrid chargers. These use a small electric motor to spool the turbos up to operating speeds much faster than in a normal set-up, where exhaust gas has to be recirculated. The result is a virtual elimination of turbo lag and a linear power delivery that will be familiar to owners of current Ferraris.
Just like the Enzo, the F70 will be strictly limited to a production run of 399 examples, adhering to Ferrari’s philosophy of always building one less car than you think you can sell. But not just anyone will be able to put their name on the waiting list. Buyers will need to be personally invited by Ferrari to stump up the expected million (£600,000) asking price when the car goes on sale in 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Enzo replacement blasts in. F70.-phpthumb_generated_thumbnailjp.jpg  

2012 Enzo replacement blasts in. F70.-phpthumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg  

Old 25th January 2010, 16:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why do they have to go and say "it will leave the Veyron trailing" when it does 100 in 3 secs and top speed of over 230mph (they don't even have the confidence of saying over 253mph).

Quote:
But Ferrari claims it won’t resort to turbos again until it’s perfected the technology to give the instant response for which its naturally aspirated cars are renowned.
Moreover, this is a NA build which means that it wont have the kind of torque required to acc the car as quickly as the Veyron, as the speeds get higher (even though it has 660bhp/ton).

Shan2nu
Old 25th January 2010, 16:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! That's the closest thing to a F1 looking car that one can buy to use. Just 1 word for it. Awesome!!
Old 25th January 2010, 16:57   #4
BHPian

This basically explains why I am scuderiamaniac!

@Shan2nu
with all due respect, it is not all about 0-100 figures and top speed. It is the character they carry. I guess most will agree on the fact the Ferraris boast of character so strong, the Veyron can only dream of matching it some day.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Why do they have to go and say "it will leave the Veyron trailing" when it does 100 in 3 secs and top speed of over 230mph (they don't even have the confidence of saying over 253mph).

Moreover, this is a NA build which means that it wont have the kind of torque required to acc the car as quickly as the Veyron, as the speeds get higher (even though it has 660bhp/ton).

Shan2nu
Even i dint get that part. But i guess it will be much faster on a track than any of its competitors. Im sure they wouldnt be able to match the torque figures or in gear accelerations of the veyron.
But you never know . Aero tt is a v8 twin turbo charged engine and eats the veyron.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But you never know . Aero tt is a v8 twin turbo charged engine and eats the veyron.
Thats coz its twin turbo. But Ferrari seems to be more inclined towards a NA setup at the moment.

Shan2nu
Old 25th January 2010, 17:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari are actually looking for a similar set up the f40 a twin turbo v8 with no lag at all , so that it gives the pleasure of driving a naturally aspirated car.
But the power band must definitely be small compared to the enzo and the other ferraris .
Old 25th January 2010, 18:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

Shan2nu
+1 to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
@Shan2nu
with all due respect, it is not all about 0-100 figures and top speed. It is the character they carry. I guess most will agree on the fact the Ferraris boast of character so strong, the Veyron can only dream of matching it some day.
It's not always about the acceleration figures and top speed. But what's this character that you're talking about? IMO most modern Ferraris lack that certain special 'character' and 'flavour' that people boast about.

The classic Fezzas like the 365GT4 Berlinetta Boxer, the 328 GTS/GTB, the Testarossa, the Ferrari 248 Dino, the F40, the Daytona and the 355 are Ferraris with character. They look great and have Ferrari written all over them. And from what I've read, they feel more Ferrari than the newer 'Tech-laden' Fezzas.

Agreed. The Manettino dial, the launch control and the superfast F1 'box is great! But it just takes away the true essence and character of a Ferrari and makes it more of a track focused race car for the road, rather than something with emotion and passion.

No offense meant to anyone! I come in peace!
Old 25th January 2010, 20:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's not always about the acceleration figures and top speed. But what's this character that you're talking about? IMO most modern Ferraris lack that certain special 'character' and 'flavour' that people boast about.
I'm not surprised that this is coming from a Porsche fan Italian supercars are born with that special factor. And the Germans can never match that. Although i'm a Lamborghini fan, IMO Ferrari builds the most technologically advanced supercars on the planet. From controlling the traction to the diff and suspensions etc, Ferrari gives the driver the liberty to drive the way he wants and not what the car wants. Decades of Ferrari F1 experience is now showing in their road cars. Driving a Ferrari now is not very different from driving an F1 car on road.
Old 25th January 2010, 20:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I'm not surprised that this is coming from a Porsche fan Italian supercars are born with that special factor. And the Germans can never match that. Although i'm a Lamborghini fan, IMO Ferrari builds the most technologically advanced supercars on the planet. From controlling the traction to the diff and suspensions etc, Ferrari gives the driver the liberty to drive the way he wants and not what the car wants. Decades of Ferrari F1 experience is now showing in their road cars. Driving a Ferrari now is not very different from driving an F1 car on road.
That's exactly what I'm saying! Keep all the technology aside for a minute and concentrate on making the car 'special' like the way they used to! I'm not saying that the tech is bad. But that's the only thing Ferrari is concentrating on IMO!

I must tell you that I disagree a bit!

Porsches are very tech laden as well. The 911 is available with PASM which is frankly one of the best components out there! And so is PCCB! And now, Porsche have introduced PDK/DSG with paddles (Something that they've been working on since the 959's days)! Despite all this, the true essence of a 911 has never been lost!

I don't know about other German cars, but a Porsche can and will match any Italian supercar in terms of 'that special factor'!

P.S. Sorry for veering off-topic!

This 'new' Enzo just doesn't cut it for me. And I'm sure that it wouldn't for several classic Ferrari lovers as well! (Yes, I do like Ferraris too )
Old 25th January 2010, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

IF we talking about character I think the Veyron has more character then any recent Ferrari. The F430 , 599, california and the 458 italia are all absolutely amazing pieces of engineering but i think they all lack character.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was having a discussion with Shan2nu in the shifting gears section about whether or not Italian cars have a "soul" and are mostly very nice to look at.

He pointed out (and I agreed) that Ferrari's are not exactly good to look at. This car too looks like an over-styled piece of kit; others too are making fast cars that have to conform more to the windtunnel's verdict than just about any other thing, but all of them look better than the cars Ferrari are churning out.

In fact, slowly I have started to develop a distinct liking to Lamborghini, Maserati (I know Ferrari provides the engineering, but they look better) and Ferrari is lot helping by releasing these engineering masterpieces with bat **** ugly styling(maybe I went too far, but you know what I mean).
Old 26th January 2010, 09:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree Amartya and bigron.
Ferrari slowly but almost surely following the Mercedes way to downhill drive.
Old 26th January 2010, 10:56   #14
BHPian

To be clear with one thing, todays generation cars (be it of any type, sports or daily use) are made with the best possible technology so as to achieve perfection in all departments.

The very reason the cars of yesteryears had a "character" was due to the manufacturers not having the knowhow to counter the problems that eventually became part of the character.

For e.g. turbo lag was a massive issue in those days, so the effect was profound in the F40, WRC cars as well as the Turbo F1 cars. Today things like Anti Lag or VGT have helped manufacturers reduce the lag to negligible levels.

In those days owners loved the character which these cars had, but ask yourself today would you like to drive a supercar which whacks its tail on every prod of the throttle or have a much more driveable car? Well its these needs that has made the cars more perfect, hence loss of character.

We as enthusiasts adore cars which had character, but in the real world scenario one would want all the Traction Control's, ABS', Anti Yaw control's, PSM's etc. in their cars.

Car manufacturers make cars to earn profits, so they will make cars as per customer requirements, and todays customer demands perfection. For e.g. recently everyone wanted to enter the horsepower, so cars like the Veyron emerged, but people understood that ultimately that car's power and speed is of no use, as it is slower around a track than a lighter car with less power (read Aero TT), Jenson Button said in the recent Top Gear show that the fastest he has driven the Veyron is 77mph and plus the car is not everyday driveable as compared to a Porsche 911 or a Gallardo or a 458 Italia.

So ultimately we won't be seeing cars with character in the near future atleast.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

NOS Power --- Very well said! It was the flaws and imperfections in older cars which gave them character. Even Top Gear subscribes to this funda. They say Alfas have soul. How? Because they keep breaking down. A super-reliable car like the Toyotas and Hondas are considered boring.

And guys, please dont comment on the looks. This is just an artist's impression. The car is two fukll years away from launch. It is absolute stupidity for you to see that one pic and then comment on how bad or good it looks!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks