Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 20:35   #1
BANNED

Fiat introduced second gen 1.3 multijet

Now this is going to be interesting. A rocket to drive. Fiat has introduced its second gen 1.3 multijet engine with 95 bhp and 200 nm of torque for FIAT 500 in Berlin.I wish we see this engine soon in punto.

Source : Fiat Introduces Second Gen 1.3 Multijet and a new color for 500 by Diesel | Autoholiks
Old 26th January 2010, 21:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

95 bhp and 200 nm from a 1.3 diesel sounds really nice!
I dont think we are gonna see it in India since I am pretty sure it uses the ultra low sulphur diesel.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

200nm is available at real low 1500RPM, This new version engine seems to have got ride of the very much prominent turbo lag in the earlier version of the Multijet Engine. And its Euro-5 complaint as well.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:49   #4
BHPian

I think fiat might bring it to India to move their game forward with this Multijet,because all other manufactures have only the first generation engine,if Fiat can bring this and fit it only in fiat car,it can boost its sale.
Old 26th January 2010, 23:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki and Tata would definitely jump at the prospect of a new MJD! The current MJD helped double, if not, triple the sales of the Swift which was already a hot seller!
Old 27th January 2010, 01:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

With Suzuki already in ties with VW, I dont think they will ever get their hands on this engine. But Tata - they may pounce on it, and put it in a new variant of Vista, or a Marina based-Marina

Btw, does this new engine have a FGT or a VGT? If it is FGT, then what can happen with a VGT is interesting. If it comes with a VGT, then I'd say it lacks luster
Old 27th January 2010, 08:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I think fiat might bring it to India to move their game forward with this Multijet,because all other manufactures have only the first generation engine,if Fiat can bring this and fit it only in fiat car,it can boost its sale.

Thats an interesting point. It will certainly boost Fiat's reputation in India for the common man to be driving a fast and frugal diesel over and above what the competition has to offer, although whether the new engine alone will boost sales needs to be seen.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Tata too will get it or maybe a new Linea by last quarter of 2010 with this new engine and Manza will use the current engine. Emm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
With Suzuki already in ties with VW, I dont think they will ever get their hands on this engine. But Tata - they may pounce on it, and put it in a new variant of Vista, or a Marina based-Marina

Btw, does this new engine have a FGT or a VGT? If it is FGT, then what can happen with a VGT is interesting. If it comes with a VGT, then I'd say it lacks luster
Should be VGT. Swift etc gets FGT.

VW actually bought 20% of share in Suzuki and not the other way. This is supposed to help VW in Asian market where small cars sell more.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

NOw this is the engine that a sporty swift must have. Would love to see this engine on a swift. Anyways I think this will take a long time to come to india. And also the engine has no turbo lag whatso ever because 200nm at 1500. With a little work around the gear and i think it should be all ready.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if it would be able to run on our fuel? I think it needs low sulphur diesel.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Any idea if it would be able to run on our fuel? I think it needs low sulphur diesel.
You are right. From the little I know, Multijet II needs ULSD and DPF to meet Euro V norms. In addition, Euro V compliant diesel has sulfur content of 10ppm.

BS-IV norms equalling Euro IV norms come into effect in select Indian cities from April 2010. BS-IV diesel will have sulfur content of 50ppm.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Don't think this will come cheap. So maybe only in the linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
But Tata - they may pounce on it, and put it in a new variant of Vista, or a Marina based-Marina
you meant the manza based marina, right ?
Old 27th January 2010, 12:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

This will not come here any time soon. BS4 is just around the corner and BS5 norm diesel with such a low sulphur content will take quite some time to get here.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:42   #14
BHPian

Fiat has also launched a facelifted Punto Evo which looks promising with the same set of multijet 2 engines.

2010 Fiat Punto Evo — Autoblog
Old 7th April 2010, 10:39   #15
BHPian

would anyone even hazard a guess, when Euro 5 is coming to India or possibly when Evo or this particular MJD engine is coming to India ?

Most Viewed