Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 09:58   #181
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Hearings: President Akio Toyoda Blames Recalls on Confused Priorities

WASHINGTON — In a dramatic display of political theatre, Toyota's elusive president appeared before a U.S. congressional committee on Wednesday and endured hours of humiliation from angry lawmakers. Akio Toyoda, the grandson of the founder and president of Toyota Motor Corporation, explained that the automaker's massive recalls were triggered because of "too quick" growth, leading to a situation where "priorities became confused."

Another top executive, Yoshimi Inaba, the president and CEO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., said that "SWAT teams" were being put in place to respond to complaints of unintended acceleration within 24 hours of being reported.
The anger of U.S. lawmakers was fully on display, leading Rep. Mark Souder (R-Indiana) to comment that "we're having a hanging before the trial."
"(But) I'm not saying you're not guilty," he added.
The unprecedented dressing-down of the head of a foreign auto manufacturer on Capitol Hill was met with deference, remorse and politeness on the parts of Toyoda and Inaba, who sometimes begged off answering questions, saying they didn't understand the language.
Toyoda read his opening statement in English, saying he took "full responsibility" for the recalls and pledged: "You have my personal commitment that Toyota will work vigorously and unceasingly to restore the trust of our customers." But he answered lawmakers' questions in Japanese, which was translated by an interpreter seated next to him.
"This is indeed a very embarrassing day for NHTSA," said Rep. John Mica (R-Florida). "It's equally a very embarrassing day for Toyota to have the grandson of the founder to come before the United States Congress. I'm embarrassed for you, sir."
Mica also blasted Inaba for a July 6, 2009 internal Toyota memo with Inaba's name on it that bragged about saving $100 million by negotiating a limited vehicle recall. "I think you've done a great injustice, sir," Mica said. "This discredits everyone." Inaba insisted that he didn't write the memo and that it was given to him as part of "orientation material" from the automaker's Washington office.
Lawmakers clearly were in a punitive mood. "I hope you recognize what kind of payment for the injuries and the damages suffered by innocent American citizens (you will pay)," said Rep. Paul Kanjorski (D-Pennsylvania). "We had a great deal of faith for something stamped 'Made in Japan.' You injured that thought process in the American public and you will be called upon to pay compensation for that."
Few lawmakers defended Toyota. Rep. Geoff Davis (R-Kentucky), whose state is the site of Toyota's largest U.S. plant, railed against his fellow lawmakers, warning "careless words and unfounded allegation can do irreparable harm to job creation in Kentucky and the United States. The jobs created by Toyota are more important than ever."
Toyota builds the Camry and other models in Georgetown, Kentucky, outside Lexington.
For their part, Inaba and Toyoda defended the recalls and their reaction to them, although Toyoda insisted he only learned about problems with sudden acceleration in December 2009. "You weren't aware of serious acceleration problems until December 2009?" asked an incredulous Rep. Gerald Connolly (D-Virginia). "If it is correct, given your position in the company, that would constitute extraordinary compartmentalization." Some lawmakers traced the first reports of the problem to as early as 2001.
Toyoda insisted that the automaker has not been able to reproduce cases of unintended acceleration. Inaba said he has a "100 percent confidence level" in Toyota's electronic throttle control systems, which some critics have speculated may be at the heart of sudden acceleration.
Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) asked Toyoda if he had ever been advised not to discuss any defects in the electronic throttle control systems in Toyotas because "this would create a devastating financial liability."
"That has never happened," Toyoda responded.
One lawmaker, Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-District of Columbia), said she owns a Toyota Camry Hybrid and asked Toyoda: "Is there any chance that the Camry Hybrid will be recalled for any reason?"
Toyoda seemed to hedge his answer. "Right now, it is completely safe," he said. "Every day, as customers continue to use those vehicles, they may come up with new findings. Right now, it is 100 percent safe — at the moment."
She also took aim at Toyoda's official statement to Congress, which laid out priorities such as safety, quality and volume. "The fourth priority is secrecy," said Norton.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:16   #182
Senior - BHPian

Is it now season for recalling of cars which were already sold in the market?

Besided Toyota-

Maruti recalling 1 Lakh AStar's from the market !

Hyundai to recall sedans (sonata) in U.S. and S.Korea (reported in the Hindu daily)!

and who is the next one in the list?
Old 25th February 2010, 13:41   #183
Senior - BHPian

What next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
To each his own, however, as long as you are dreaming, maybe dreaming bigger won't hurt .
Almost all the auto-cos are having a recalls... Suzuki & Hyundai the latest ones. It only the magnitude of the sales that are being reflected in the quantum of cars recalled.

Toyota grew too big to be managed properly by the Toyoda clan (remember studying about Prof. Mgmnt YRS Family Managed business) in MBA.

Further, cost cutting measures like use of plastic insert in Accelerator assembly instead to metal one (the one that is used in India), lead to their downfall.

It seems that 2010 is bad year for auto companies, expecially in US.

Wondering it could be the Obama Govt. tactics to divert media attention from their own failings (Black/White/Yellow or Male/Female President does not matter... Good Governance does).

My 2-cents for Toyota even after all this fiasco, because of the following:

1. I would always hold the steering when driving unlike Americans who do everytinh while driving except looking at the road (remember one American car for which the adline goes like "... half of America was born at the beck seat..."
2. I would always apply breaks with my feet (normal reaction to stop the car as I do for the past 5.5 years to stop my Santro) rather than wait for the system (software) to apply breaks for me.
3. I have the presence of mind in case of unintended acceleration to move to side of rods, bring the car to neutral & stop the engine
4. At least my fuel would not leak on the highway, or the tank would not blast in case of being rear-ended (Suzuki, Ford).
5. My tyres would not fly off at 60kmph (VW).
6. My electricals would nat act as if possessed by Ghosts (all the the European Cars)
7. My ownership costs will be reasonable (not as compared to Suzuki, who piggy-backed the GoI & set up a vast service network & then sold outdated products with rattles & questionalbe build-quality to ignorant Indians) (P.S.- Please ignore Esteem/Baleno/SX4 from the above, those are good ones... the product managers are bad in India)
8. I would have peace of mind when I own Toyota or Honda over Amrerican or European cars.

Dreaming big does not hurt... it only expands your horizon.
Remember one (Sir) SRT doing the so called impossible in near history... 200 in ODI (1st in world to do so) & batting all 50 overs in an innings. In a couple of of years I would be in position to decide between Toyota Etios or Honda City, why not dream for Camary then!?

Honda or Toyota both make dull cars (as the Europeans call their cars), but they last long than any RRs, Bentleys, Astons, Jags, Audis, BMWs, MBs, etc, with the middle calss owners (if they can get 2nd hand European cars at down-to earth prices) & ride much better than any American (Ford is coming good these days admitted).

And I have not shame in saying "Camry is my dream car to own" & I will try my best to own it.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:08   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Is it now season for recalling of cars which were already sold in the market?

Besided Toyota-

Maruti recalling 1 Lakh AStar's from the market !

Hyundai to recall sedans (sonata) in U.S. and S.Korea (reported in the Hindu daily)!

and who is the next one in the list?
Next in line is the Ford Fiesta

TV
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 14:26   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Next in line is the Ford Fiesta

TV
There is already a thread that is running for Ford fiesta AC thermostat replacement in the International automotive section. I also saw the news and created a thread but MODs told me there is one already. Then I see your post mentioning the same. Good one.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:37   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
There is already a thread that is running for Ford fiesta AC thermostat replacement in the International automotive section. I also saw the news and created a thread but MODs told me there is one already. Then I see your post mentioning the same. Good one.
This is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...program-2.html

The thermostat in some Fiestas manufactured in the last two weeks of Jan '10 is being replaced. Apparently this was done to make the AC cooling better. From what heard, less than a 1000 cars were affected.

Last edited by Gilead : 25th February 2010 at 14:40.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:58   #187
Senior - BHPian

Toyota pledges to take safety `to the next level'

Source :: Toyota pledges to take safety `to the next level'- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 27th February 2010, 12:51   #188
Senior - BHPian

Toyota withheld crash lawsuit evidence: Lawmaker

Toyota has hidden the testing details and documents.

Source: Toyota withheld crash lawsuit evidence: Lawmaker- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 1st March 2010, 10:07   #189
Senior - BHPian

NHTSA will test runaway Toyota vehicle

Quote:
"NHTSA will thoroughly examine the Smiths' car as we work to get to the bottom of possible causes for sudden acceleration," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Friday
Source:: Detroit news :: NHTSA will test runaway Toyota vehicle | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Old 1st March 2010, 16:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Toyoda apologises to Chinese consumers for recalls

Quote:
Toyota Motor Corp President Akio Toyoda on Monday offered a sincere apology to Chinese consumers over its massive global recall, which has had limited impact in the Chinese market
Source :: Toyoda apologises to Chinese consumers for recalls- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:00   #191
Senior - BHPian

Toyota to announce March incentives in US
Source :: Toyota to announce March incentives in US- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Toyota apologizes to European consumers
Source :: Toyota apologizes to European consumers- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:01   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai feeds on Toyota woes

Hyundai is seeing huge rise in sales due to Toyota woes

Source :: Hyundai feeds on Toyota woes; GM joins recalls- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:04   #193
Senior - BHPian

Toyota: No electronic defects

Source :: Toyota: No electronic defects | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:10   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, Toyota has goofed up, and that's serious. But how long can we afford to remain frowning, when the cartoonists out there are having a field day? Take a look:
Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_05_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_30_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toons_34_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_06_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_20_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_23_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_21_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_27_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_28_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_29_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_31_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_32_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_33_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_36_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_37_ss_full.jpg

Toyota announces major recall in the US (Sudden Unintended Acceleration)-toyotatoons_35_ss_full.jpg

More here: Cartoons: Toyota takes a fall - Picture Stories- msnbc.com
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:27   #195
Senior - BHPian

Those cartoons are actually pretty funny!

Most Viewed