Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 17:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

A Crisis made in Japan : WSJ

The halo seems to be falling.

Quote:
pharmaceutical companies that kept selling tainted blood products to hemophiliacs that left many of them infected with HIV in the 1980s. The government was aware of the issue and failed to stop this avoidable public health crisis. After years of denial, the current finance minister, Naoto Kan, who was health minister in 1994, revealed documents showing that the government allowed the companies to continue selling the bad blood so that they would not lose market share to foreign companies selling safe blood products. In doing so he paved the way for a relatively generous settlement and an abject apology by drug company executives
Quote:
crisis management in Japan is grossly undeveloped. The pattern is all too familiar, typically involving slow initial response, minimizing the problem, foot dragging on the product recall, poor communication with the public about the problem and too little compassion and concern for consumers adversely affected by the product. Whether it's exploding televisions, fire-prone appliances, tainted milk or false labeling....
Quote:
Japanese firms often seek to cover up or fudge the facts and the people communicating with the media and public often do not have the information they need to do their job.
To the Prius brake problems, the story adds:

Quote:
In Japan, the media has taken something of a minimalist approach to this story. Here on its home turf, Toyota seems to have been much more successful in managing the news than it has been in the U.S. and both the media and government have been more circumspect. Yet unlike his American counterparts, he has not authorized an inquiry into the safety defects.
Quote:
Toyota is trying to avoid a safety recall in Japan and is lobbying the government to permit a voluntary repair program that involves less stigma and cost.
Quote:
Initially, the safety defects were portrayed as a made-in-America problem, but now the design defects have hit home, raising new questions about Toyota's famous quality control circles. Had this story not come out in the U.S. it is doubtful whether Toyota would have even considered a recall at home.
Old 7th February 2010, 00:34   #122
Senior - BHPian

Wikipedia Definition for Toyota

Toyota - A manufacturer of automobiles with brakes that wont brake when needed and accelerators that accelerate own its own...
Old 7th February 2010, 06:01   #123
Senior - BHPian

It makes for interesting reading how Toyota has been in the habit of brushing problems under the carpet.

Toyota Has Pattern of Slow Response on Safety Issues - NYTimes.com
Old 7th February 2010, 19:49   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
It makes for interesting reading how Toyota has been in the habit of brushing problems under the carpet.

Toyota Has Pattern of Slow Response on Safety Issues - NYTimes.com
I think you can put it down to Japanese corporate culture where the company's and its leadership's honour and esteem are to be protected at all costs. I can bet this crisis will shake things up big time at TMC Japan. And about time too.

Cheers!
Old 8th February 2010, 14:27   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

TKM Leadership Response

Guys,

Here's what the MD of Toyota Kirloskar Motors had to say:

Toyota India chief says global recalls not to hit India sales- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Cheers!
Old 8th February 2010, 14:39   #126
BHPian

I don't understand why they launched prius in India that too at a high price. when they knew that a brake problem is present.
Toyota seems to be collapse if they don't take correct step forward.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:58   #127
JVH
Senior - BHPian

It would be interesting to see what is Jefferey Liker's take on the current Toyota fiasco. He was a staunch supporter of Toyota Production System (TPS) and also contributed to Toyota Quality Management (TQM) publishing several books on them.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:50   #128
Senior - BHPian

Toyota India MD's response is on expected lines. No matter what happens anywhere in the world, Indian models are never affected.

But I trust the Toyota India boss as I am sure CTS Coporation is not supplying gas pedals to Toyota India .

BUT, the Prius is only made in Japan. Are Indian Prius's also defect free?

It would be better if Indian buyers ensure that the Prius they are buying here is manufactured from January.

Last edited by amit : 8th February 2010 at 15:51.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:36   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Can Ford Reclaim Toyota's Throne?

Can Ford Reclaim Toyota's Throne? | Polls | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

Though not directly related to the recall episode. How true is the above article? I mean, 90% of all statistics are all cooked up

But it's good news that the Americans are racing ahead in Quality.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:48   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Toyota India MD's response is on expected lines. No matter what happens anywhere in the world, Indian models are never affected.

But I trust the Toyota India boss as I am sure CTS Coporation is not supplying gas pedals to Toyota India .

BUT, the Prius is only made in Japan. Are Indian Prius's also defect free?

It would be better if Indian buyers ensure that the Prius they are buying here is manufactured from January.
The pedal used here is made by Denso which has been defect free (so far, thank God). Verified that in my car.

Of course the Toyota MD would claim all are defect free anyway. So while in a sense it is reassuring, I am in a dilemna. This crisis has jarred my faith and it is all thanks to the attempted cover up and trying to brush things under the carpet that blew up in their faces.

This is a MUST read - TTAC’s Complete Guide To Toyota’s Gas Pedals: Teardown, Pictures, Toyota’s Fix, Analysis, Commentary | The Truth About Cars

The are differences between the Denso pedals used in the US and the ones fitted in the Indian Altis. The pedal 'stalk' on which the non slip rubber sleeve/pad is fitted is made of metal. While the US ones are plastic. Better or worse? I dont know.

Cheers!

PS - Something tells me the Indian Prius is affected. These cars are brought in from Japan and sold just like the Camry.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2010 at 20:50. Reason: Added Prius comment
Old 9th February 2010, 10:01   #131
Senior - BHPian

jammed accelarator problem in toyotas

here is an interesting article and comments that follow.

BBC News - How do you stop a car with a jammed accelerator?

my first advice, know your car and how it works. there are many types of cars, many types of drives, brakes, hand brakes, hydraulic brakes etc. knowledge and ability to use it is the best weapon against such eventuality.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:17   #132
Senior - BHPian

IMO, most cars in US (not sure on EU) are automatic & this article talks about manual transmission, anyway, is it possible to shift to "N" when someone is in "D" gear at 70MPH in a AT car?

In a MT car, what would happen if the gears are shifted down from top to say 3 or 2 instead of simply applying the clutch when the brakes fail? Will that not slow down the car considerably?

Last edited by aargee : 9th February 2010 at 10:18. Reason: Add more contents
Old 9th February 2010, 10:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Tough time for Toyota ahead again.. it is recalling all Prius Hybrid in Japan for possible brake failure when driven on rough roads... As all Prius are made in Japan, it is anticipated that there will be a world-wide recall following suit in few days!!!

Last edited by iTNerd : 9th February 2010 at 10:35.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

19 lives were lost due to the jammed accelerator in US, TOYOTA.

1 infant life was lost in the fire due the power window switch, HONDA.

And some people think TATA has worst Quality control here, Ironic.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
19 lives were lost due to the jammed accelerator in US, TOYOTA.
1 infant life was lost in the fire due the power window switch, HONDA.
And some people think TATA has worst Quality control here, Ironic.
What is the point here?

19 lives because they care for every human life in US. In India, multiples of 19 lives are taken every other day in road accidents, several of them probably due to manufacturing defects in cars. And, number of just Toyotas plying on US roads outnumber cars running on Indian roads.

Unlike US, no one cares to carefully identify root cause in each case, forget about consolidating the data further and tracking it. Holding a manufacturer responsible for these defects and forcing recall is a far cry. Just look around on T-BHP. There are ample of stories about "lemons", which don't have just one or two but several defects together. Several of them can be indeed life threatening. Haven't you ever read about trucks/buses/cars going berserk due to brake failures?

Though I am personally more biased towards European cars, I don't think comparing Tata and Toyota in the same breath means anything. If you have ever worked with a Japanese company, you would know how much quality conscious they are. It is not for nothing that "Made in Japan" is probably still one of the most sought-after tag on consumer goods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks