Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2004, 16:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Found this Link while searching the net. Nice short write up covering the 911 Turbo being driven on the Nordschleife.

Here are some interesting extracts:

with a collection of evil cambers for each corner and high kerbs that require the utmost respect, deviate from the line and a small moment can turn into a massive accident in a heartbeat.

This car could just impose authority on, for instance, a highly modified Golf that decided to have a go at about 120mph. He disappeared in the rear view mirror within a matter of seconds as the speedo crept up to 180mph on a derestricted stretch of road.

If it wasn’t for the traffic flying back to meet the car at video game speeds, it would actually feel slow.

Coming into the banked Karrussel bend, perhaps the Nordschleife’s most famous bend, I was forced to launch down the inside of a double decker bus,

LOL

Can't wait to get there!

Rt
Old 3rd November 2004, 16:58   #2
F50
Senior - BHPian

Great Find Rtech.
That track seems to be so much fun,challenging and fast as well.
157 corners ohhhh man sure it takes time to learn those in one day.
12 bucks per lap seems nominal as well might not be if converted into Indian rupees but anything for getting one experience of that track.
I must say choice of taking a Porsche on that track was a smart one, so balanced and technically correct and powerful ....
911 S turbo (996) is my favourite Porsche ...

Im searching for a sketch or pic of that track so I can have an idea how it looks and what those 157 corners are like ... If any one has it please post
Old 3rd November 2004, 17:28   #3
F50
Senior - BHPian

Doing some research on this track will post its pic soon ...

Some more info :
There's a M5 Ringtaxi Service over there which costs 130 Euros per lap and maximum of 3 people.
Old 3rd November 2004, 17:50   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Here's the pic
Old 3rd November 2004, 18:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey F50,

For all the info on the old and new Nurburgring, check out the official website - http://www.nuerburgring.de

Great stuff!

BTW, I've heard that this track is technically a public road and you could infact be caught speeding or for noise pollution!! Crazy Germans!

Rt
Old 3rd November 2004, 22:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey F50

Yup that is the M5 ringtaxi. And the driver, Sabine, a wonderful female will be featured in this season's Top Gear. Can't wait to watch that now.

P.S. I had posted pics of the new E-60 M5 ringtaxi somewhere here. Could anyone help me find and post that link. Thanx.

Revv
Old 3rd November 2004, 23:40   #7
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Nov. 03 2004,15:56)]Great stuff!

BTW, I've heard that this track is technically a public road and you could infact be caught speeding or for noise pollution!! Crazy Germans!

Rt
Yeah somewhere I found The Do's And Dont's of Nordschleife there it was written its a public road and watch out while you overtake a slower vehicle, give proper signals and much more ...

Thanks Rtech im checking the site now ... Man falling in love with this track love to visit it once .
Old 3rd November 2004, 23:47   #8
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Nov. 03 2004,20:21)]Hey F50

Yup that is the M5 ringtaxi. And the driver, Sabine, a wonderful female will be featured in this season's Top Gear. Can't wait to watch that now.

P.S. I had posted pics of the new E-60 M5 ringtaxi somewhere here. Could anyone help me find and post that link. Thanx.

Revv
Yeah Revv her name Sabine Schmitz ... but I was unaware about her Top Gear connection.
M5 and a wonderful lady ohhh
I also came across some site which says this Service is always full but we can arrange it for you call this number.
Old 4th November 2004, 00:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice find Rtech. Fantastic track that i have fantasized about driving on for i don't know how many years. And Porsche fanatics can thank the Nordschleife for the machines that they are treated to year after year. As Walter Rohrl would say, ' On the Nordschleife it's not important to remember where the corners are, but where the bumps are.' Someday...
Old 5th November 2004, 13:10   #10
Team-BHP Support

The best site I've found for the Nurburgring - http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Just read this guys stories of his track days...keeps you hooked! And those pictures...awesome!

A few Ring-Taxi facts.
- The tyres are changed after 10 laps.
- The brakes are changed after 20 laps,
and the car gets a full inspection at the same time (this is the reason it can only do 20 laps a day).
- The running costs (excluding the cost of the car itself) are €300-400 a lap, so after the €160 charge it runs at a considerable loss, but of course this is made up for by the huge PR value.
- At the end of the season, the cars are sent to the BMW lab for analysis, and then are crushed. (OMG)

Rt

Most Viewed