Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Toyota to launch new braking system

Given the recent mega call up of cars by Toyota, plus the depreciation (!) of its brand image, here is what I came across at the BBC website.

BBC News - Toyota to launch new brake system

Please offer your thoughts, not only on the new braking system, but on the Toyota, its image, loyality, and how it may affect you directly or indirectly.

Embattled Japanese carmaker Toyota has said that it will add a brake-override system to all new vehicles as it seeks to recover from a global car recall.
President Akio Toyoda told reporters in Tokyo that the new system would cut engine power when the accelerator and brakes are applied at the same time.
Toyota also said it would create a new global quality committee.
The news comes as the US car safety watchdog ordered Toyota to hand over documents relating to its recalls.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said on Tuesday it wanted to find out if Toyota conducted the recent recalls "in a timely manner".
Toyota said it would "co-operate to provide all the information they have requested" on the US probe.
Mr Toyoda said that he would not be attending a US Congressional hearing into the recalls set for 24 February.
Instead, Toyota's US executives will go, as Mr Toyoda focuses on the firm's quality issues.
The newly-announced Special Committee for Global Quality - where each region will have its own quality executive - will hold its first meeting on 30 March.
US investigation
On Wednesday, the carmaker took out full-page adverts in major Japanese newspapers to apologise for the recalls.
Toyota is continuing to recall 8.5 million vehicles worldwide because of problems linked to faulty accelerator pedals, accelerator pedals getting stuck in floor mats, and braking systems.
The saga began in the US with reports that accelerator pedals were getting caught under the floor mats.
The Japanese car giant began taking back vehicles potentially affected by that problem in October last year and Toyota redesigned the mats.
The floor mat issue affected a number of vehicles in the US, but not the UK.
Later, separate acceleration problems were found to be caused by the pedal sticking.
The NHTSA said was "requiring Toyota to provide documents showing when and how it learned of the defects affecting approximately six million vehicles in the US alone".
It said federal law required all carmakers to notify it within five days of discovering a safety recall, and to conduct a recall promptly.
Responding to the NHTSA, Toyota said it took responsibility for vehicle safety seriously and also recognised its responsibility to alert government officials of any safety issue "in a timely manner".
Toyota announced on 26 January that was suspending sales and production of eight models in the US, as it sought to resolve its problems.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:35   #2
BHPian

Why they are not doing recalls here for Camry.Are they thinking that Indian won't care and can be cheated.
Now I was a headline with corolla to be recalled in NDTV.
Old 17th February 2010, 18:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Why they are not doing recalls here for Camry.Are they thinking that Indian won't care and can be cheated.
Cars in Asia with the exception of China are not affected by the recall caused by faulty electronic accelerator pedals. Also, the Camry sold here is a CBU made in Japan.

The issue with the 2009-10 Corolla's EPS is still being debated and based on driver feedback. They havent announced a recall yet. I dont think anybody in India (me included) has faced an issue with the Corolla's EPS. If you ask me, it is great for city driving and whilst parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Please offer your thoughts, not only on the new braking system, but on the Toyota, its image, loyality, and how it may affect you directly or indirectly.
Please see this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...models-us.html
Old 18th February 2010, 12:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
President Akio Toyoda told reporters in Tokyo that the new system would cut engine power when the accelerator and brakes are applied at the same time.
Aw, there goes all chances of heel-and-toe! Expect professional tuners to disable this system in stage one itself.

On a serious note, why can't Toyota just ensure that crucial controls such as the accelerator, brake and steering function just as they should. I mean, what's the % of vehicles (barring those recently recalled) that have had a problem with jammed accelerators? This is more like creating another complication, instead of attacking the real problem. I have never heard of a Mercedes running a recall for stuck accelerators, they made them right in the first place!! And have managed just as well in the last 100+ years.

NOTE : Main recall thread can be found here.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2010 at 12:44.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Toyota faces new probe on Corolla steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Just now saw this info on the the net

"""US regulators launched a preliminary investigation into reported steering problems on the Corolla sedan on Wednesday as Toyota Motor Corp faced questions from US lawmakers on whether it had ignored red flags on safety before a wave of vehicle recalls. """

Source :: Toyota faces new probe on Corolla steering- International Business-News-The Economic Times
Old 20th February 2010, 13:09   #6
BHPian

Recent news in numerous websites say Toyota is facing a serious brand image and customer loyalty breakdown. Some even call it the 'Fall of Toyota' which I think is overly exaggeration. Toyota's built up a rep which took is decades, and people trust the brand, they'll be back soon up in no time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks