Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 22:37   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yes NinadJoshi, I agree that people who own Subaru are never ready to let it go. Like I said I had an amazing experience driving it in the Rockies last summer.
The whole discussion I'm having is for a friend of mine who is looking to buy. US car market is vast that he comes up with a new option everyday based on his discussion with other folks around!!!
I have a Forester, a 2009 model. I love a lot of things about the car, but if I were to pick things that I don't like, that would be the 4 speed auto tranny and the trashy engine. Other than that, it is great value for money, I used to live in New England and now in Chicago, and for the bad weather days, it is a very dependable car. My wife drives it mostly and finds the visibility out of it extremely good. The car is very practical, the second row is spacious and you have good room behind the second row for carrying stuff. The panoramic sunroof is nice. Interiors are typical subaru fare, simple, not much of style but more of function. If the prospective buyer is in California, then I would not see why they should get a Subaru, unless they drive up and down the mountains to lake tahoe and up every other day .. In that scenario, the turbo engine is a better option because it gives you less loss of performance in high altitudes. PM me if you want more details.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:21   #1502
BHPian

I have a 2011 Subaru Legacy done 15000 miles. My wife drives it mostly. Things that we dont like are not many and we knew them before we bought the car. The engine is thrashy at high RPMs as everybody already mentioned.
The interiors are functional but not flashy,I am not a big fan of CVT that my car has.
The positives are many but the most important thing is it is an honest car, its not a Korean which is trying to be a Jap or a jap which is trying to be European.
AWD is certainly the best in business, the space is quite good both rear seat and boot.
I plan to keep the car for a long time, this coming from some one who has changed his other car thrice in last year, says alot about Subaru.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 09:11   #1503
naj
BHPian

Hi!!

A quick update-
Today got my Illinois driving license. Got it the first time. The driving test was comprehensive. The instructor made me drive around atleast half of the city.
The whole thing was a piece of cake compared to India . And dint have to pay the agent

A good experience.

Naj
Old 29th November 2012, 18:32   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

A quick update-
Today got my Illinois driving license. Got it the first time. The driving test was comprehensive. The instructor made me drive around atleast half of the city.
The whole thing was a piece of cake compared to India . And dint have to pay the agent

A good experience.

Naj
Good for you! Wish you many a happy mile ahead.

Was it you who emailed me a long time ago with a few questions around your proposed migration to the US?

<<And dint have to pay the agent>> A simple remark that shows the gap in the system, the mentality and the process, doesn't it.

Just a passing tip, do not try to bribe the cop if you get pulled over. It will get you in a bigger mess Have fun driving!
Old 29th November 2012, 19:18   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
The interiors are functional but not flashy,I am not a big fan of CVT that my car has.
I have come across this before too that CVTs are extremely boring to drive. But sadly, every manufacturer seems to be going towards CVTs.

Quote:
Hi!!

A quick update-
Today got my Illinois driving license.Naj
Congratulations!
When i got my NH license, it felt good because it was the first time i was getting a driver's license based on actual tests!
Old 29th November 2012, 19:42   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I know this is totally OT but does anyone know of any good short term furnished accomodations in Toronto? I need it for a couple of weeks starting this weekend.
I don't know of any but try looking on www.kijiji.ca - I'm sure you will find something!
majorpayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 19:49   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
I don't know of any but try looking on www.kijiji.ca - I'm sure you will find something!
Yes did that and found tons of them!! Spoilt for choice but the one that i have shortlisted has hardly any reviews.
Trying to decide between BetterService (http://www.better-service.net/home.html), Royal Stays (http://royalstays.ca/site/) and Whitehall (http://www.whitehallsuites.com/about_us.php)
Old 29th November 2012, 20:40   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!

A quick update-

A good experience.

Naj
Where in IL are you at? I have an IL license, but the only driving test I have ever given was in CT. The license has just always been transferred - to TX, to RI and now to IL.
Old 29th November 2012, 21:54   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Yes did that and found tons of them!! Spoilt for choice but the one that i have shortlisted has hardly any reviews.
Trying to decide between BetterService (http://www.better-service.net/home.html), Royal Stays (http://royalstays.ca/site/) and Whitehall (http://www.whitehallsuites.com/about_us.php)
All these places are around the same area. I'm sure they're all quite good. I'm guessing you are looking only in the Mississauga area?
Old 29th November 2012, 22:09   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
All these places are around the same area. I'm sure they're all quite good. I'm guessing you are looking only in the Mississauga area?
I am not very picky about area. Would have preferred Toronto Downtown but obviously that is somewhat beyond my budget. Missisauga looks like a good tradeoff. And its not as if its a village either!!
Old 29th November 2012, 22:16   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
I am not very picky about area. Would have preferred Toronto Downtown but obviously that is somewhat beyond my budget. Missisauga looks like a good tradeoff. And its not as if its a village either!!
No its a good location for sure...
Old 30th November 2012, 06:51   #1512
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Good for you! Wish you many a happy mile ahead.

Was it you who emailed me a long time ago with a few questions around your proposed migration to the US?

<<And dint have to pay the agent>> A simple remark that shows the gap in the system, the mentality and the process, doesn't it.

Just a passing tip, do not try to bribe the cop if you get pulled over. It will get you in a bigger mess Have fun driving!
Thanks Ninad Joshi!! It was indeed me who had written to you. So finally moved at last.

Quote:
\Congratulations!
When i got my NH license, it felt good because it was the first time i was getting a driver's license based on actual tests!
I was a little scared as in a previous post one of our members did not make it the first time. As I see now not every one drives to rule. Out of 10, I have found about 3 to 4 drivers who are very aggressive.Some Others follow so close that you get some how feel pressurized mentally ,even when you are adhering to speed limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Where in IL are you at? I have an IL license, but the only driving test I have ever given was in CT. The license has just always been transferred - to TX, to RI and now to IL.
I am at Decatur IL, which is close to Bloomington. Its a small rural city, but ok.

Thanks- naj

Last edited by naj : 30th November 2012 at 06:53.
naj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 07:11   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was a little scared as in a previous post one of our members did not make it the first time. As I see now not every one drives to rule. Out of 10, I have found about 3 to 4 drivers who are very aggressive.Some Others follow so close that you get some how feel pressurized mentally ,even when you are adhering to speed limits.
Hehe. Here in New Hampshire, no one adheres to the speed limit. Even if you are driving 20 above, you will find people driving faster than you. Important thing is to find the middle ground, and the middle lane!
As for tailgaters, the rules are pretty clear about what to do with such people. Move over! Or even take an exit if that does not work.
Old 30th November 2012, 07:29   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!
Believe it or not, I got my Indian license after a driving test & NJ license after just an online test
Old 30th November 2012, 07:33   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
I was in the same boat. I was scared too for my driving test. But like you, I too passed in the first go with flying colors. The officer wrote "Nice Job" with a smiley on the marksheet . I made only one minor mistake where I made an unnecessary stop.

But I can see how this elaborate driving test can be problem for people who are not used to driving defensively and according to rules in India. That's why most people don't make it the first time. Actually a friend of mine did so bad in the test that they suspended his temporary license and gave him instruction permit.

I practically learnt driving in the US back in 2007, so the test turned out a cake walk in the end.

Last edited by Gandhi : 30th November 2012 at 07:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks