Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 23:54   #6061
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
I am looking for a used car and given the choice of cars in US it is really difficult to narrow down. I have thought of everything from Mustang to Elantra.
Welcome to Michigan.
Try to get an AWD BMW - one of those X drive cars.
Please check out Jeep wranglers also. Small trucks may also be a good option. I'm a home owner and I think I should have bought a truck.

Last edited by Jomz : 9th July 2018 at 23:56.
Old 10th July 2018, 02:00   #6062
Deo
BHPian

Quote:
Try to get an AWD BMW - one of those X drive cars.
Quote:
I was in the same boat to go with a Toyota or Nissan, but at the last moment decided that you live only once and you cannot afford a German in India, so go ahead with it when you can afford.
Quote:
Irrespective of that, I support your wife; you are in the USA, make the most of it, get yourself something that you wouldn’t or couldn’t get in India
Thanks guys, I am also leaning towards 328i Xdrive, there are some really good ones available including luxury trims. I was almost sold on this one.
Only change now, I found out today that I have my company car till end of September as opposed to end of July. So I have couple of more months to decide. But I'll keep an eye on this thread for your inputs.
Old 10th July 2018, 17:02   #6063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post

I suggested him Subaru WRX, Toyota 86 and Golf Gti, he is not happy with wrx's gas mileage, other two will be test driven soon, so the hunt is ON!!!

Guys, thanks for all the help, I am glad to announce that my friend has picked up the GTI in manual form, in black color(glad that he didn't give up hunting manuals). Finding manual transmission was hard, but still he went ahead and bought one!

One of the best review of the GTI :
Old 10th July 2018, 18:41   #6064
Distinguished - BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

You can not go wrong with a Golf GTI!
My eldest son has one of the earlier models. Hoot to drive and still practical for the weekly shopping too!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 10th July 2018 at 18:51.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 22:56   #6065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
Thanks guys, I am also leaning towards 328i Xdrive, there are some really good ones available including luxury trims.
Just a gentle reminder, BMW Sedans have terrible floor hump in the middle of the rear seat foot area. Strictly for 4 people. The 5th person will have a terrible time.
This is one of the reasons I brought a X1 and not a 3 series.
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:27   #6066
Senior - BHPian

Went out on a round of Test drives for my second ever car buying experience
Had made a shortlist which kinda looked like this
1. Fiesta ST
2. Fit Sport
3. Civic Si ( because there was one at the dealership which had the fit sport)
4. Mazda 3
5. Nissan Rogue.

1. 2014 Fiesta ST ($14795)- Was 99% sure it would be this car, but was totally underwhelmed. the recaros made the seats almost painful, the ergonomics were weird, and slotting gears were a hit or a miss. visibility also not what was expected from a car this size. Performance was okayish, and there was no sound at all. Having read so much about the sound symposer, i was expecting some nice notes, but got nothing but a weird whine. Struck off the list.
After the fiesta ST, my priorities totally went for a toss. I had a hard time slotting gears with my right hand while steering with my left, and as a small car, I was not getting the sort of visibility i was expecting.

2. 2015 Honda fit Sport.($12999) Changed my mind about small cars. Fish tank like visibility, Auto was very intuitive ( though still gutless compared to the ST), Sport mode with the paddles was interesting, but it was still a CVT pretending to be a manual. So easy to drive you could drive it in your sleep.

3. 2012 Civic Si ( 14750). Hoot to drive, very nice sound, but a bit rough - the alloys had been scuffed and the interior was in bad shape. the good ones were over my 15k budget

4.2014 Civic Si ( 15530). Sales guy made me drive it. Still a hoot to drive, a bit more civilized, and in much better shape with a reverse camera, right side lane camera etc.

5. 2017 Toyota Corolla Base (11750 from hertz) got this as a rental car for the test drive, and it made its way into my list for consideration, and it pretty much exceeded expectations. I mean, it was easy to drive, did not feel like the boat everyone said it was. It did not give me an emotional connect, but it was a pretty fine automobile

6. 2014 Mazda 3 Base ( 13900) Absolute disappointment. Felt just like a corolla, but minus the enthusiasm, and the car I had had pretty weak brakes. This car had less features than my Indica. Heck, it didnt even have a tacho. after reading so much praise for mazda's online, I am not sure what the big deal is about

7. 2016 Nissan Rogue ( 14261) Never got around to driving this, as by then I had made my decision.

What did I buy? Coming soon!

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd July 2018 at 10:30.
Old 22nd July 2018, 14:27   #6067
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn - That list is just begging to have a Volkswagen GTI or Golf R! With the DSG and the bumper-to-bumper 6 year warranty. I hope you test drove these too. Besides, there's a reason Jeremy Clarkson drives one - its such a lovely car, it is more than the sum of its parts. Something about it feels "just right".

Last edited by rajushank84 : 22nd July 2018 at 14:28.
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:06   #6068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
@greenhorn - That list is just begging to have a Volkswagen GTI or Golf R! With the DSG and the bumper-to-bumper 6 year warranty. I hope you test drove these too. Besides, there's a reason Jeremy Clarkson drives one - its such a lovely car, it is more than the sum of its parts. Something about it feels "just right".
The GTI and the Focus ST were very much invited to be part of this shortlist, Unfortunately, none of them could make it into my budget ( ~15K, <80K miles, Sold by a dealership and not a used car sales lot)
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:15   #6069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
What did I buy? Coming soon!
I am guessing it is nothing from your list? So, maybe a Challenger?

I bought a bike (bicycle, human powered) couple of weeks back and realized that in the 6 years I have been here, I have bought 3 cars in 6 years and 4 bikes in 3 years! I am not doing this American Life thing right, am i?
Old 29th July 2018, 01:19   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am guessing it is nothing from your list? So, maybe a Challenger?

I bought a bike (bicycle, human powered) couple of weeks back and realized that in the 6 years I have been here, I have bought 3 cars in 6 years and 4 bikes in 3 years! I am not doing this American Life thing right, am i?
Nah,
I stuck to the the list, and the winner is...

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20180728_122523223_hdr.jpg
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:05   #6071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Nah,
I stuck to the the list, and the winner is...
Nice! Congratulations!! Manual? Is that a 2014? More details please!
Old 30th July 2018, 22:34   #6072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! Congratulations!! Manual? Is that a 2014? More details please!
Yes, its a 2014. the Si came only in manual. I will put up a new thread soon.

In the meantime I got a bulge in one of my tyres. Trying to get the dealer to do something about it, else there is more money I need to spend :(

My insurance is atrocious. $300+ per month. That's more than my EMI. Shopping around to get a cheaper quote.
Old 31st July 2018, 02:04   #6073
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, @greenhorn! The si is a lovely car, probably the one of the last fun-to-drive cars that is still reliable for years if not decades! Just yesterday I was watching a video about how Honda, Mazda and even Toyota used to make fun-to-drive cars that were also reliable, but sadly just focus on commuter-ish vehicles now.

That insurance does sound atrocious!I wonder how much of it is from theft statistics. I know older Civics and Acuras (especially the performance variants) used to be the highest targeted vehicles for theft, so wonder if that is a factor here.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 08:14   #6074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

*Same-pinch*

Time in US: 3 years
Cars : 1
Bikes : 5

Edit: Just remembered, it's actually 5. Btw I sold 4 out of the 5 bikes (brought back the Colnago to India), and made profit on 2 of them

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st July 2018 at 08:17.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 18:17   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Btw I sold 4 out of the 5 bikes (brought back the Colnago to India), and made profit on 2 of them
What bikes were they?
A used Specialized Sirrus was my first bike. I bought it for $450, rode it for many miles and brevets and then sold it 2 years later for $375. I would call that a profit
The other bike that I disposed was Cannondale CAADX. Returned to REI for a full discount.
Currently enjoying a 1980s Bianchi and a 2018 Diverge

Last edited by amitoj : 31st July 2018 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks