Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 22:05   #6226
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I personally totally ignore washing it during winter. But again, salt content is less here in DC.

I use the below pressure washer, Does the job well. If you need a one for future i.e patio cleaning etc in summer, invest in a bigger one that will most probably last you a life time. Also get the attachment, for foam* you can do a quick google, not sure the brand but chemical guys has it.

Tons of videos on YT will help.

Name:  1.png
Views: 1069
Size:  182.2 KB
Old 7th February 2019, 17:47   #6227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
How does that work out with below freezing temperatures? I gave that a go and found that all the water turned into sleet in about 2-3 minutes.
I was only when it is more than 32F outside. We usually have a few 30-50deg F days/month.

When the garage is attached to the house and the door is closed, it is atleast 10 deg warmer than outside.I spray and foam & rinse the car in the driveway. Move it inside the garage, wipe it down, (If I have time) wax and polish inside the garage.
Old 25th April 2019, 09:04   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Need some advice. I started working in the Bay Area. I can perfectly manage with Uber, Lyft and occasional renting, but I can't resist the urge to get myself some wheels- be it 4 or 2.

Some stats: I'm 24, so insurance is going to be expensive and I have an MN DL for 9 months now. My total daily commute is 10 miles. (Please don't ask me to wait one year as I've recently turned 24 :P)

(Love it and very practical) Option 1: Buy a new/used motorcycle (<750cc) with ABS. Enough to satisfy my desire to travel around locally. Shopping isn't really a concern for me as I have shops near my apartment. The advantage of a motorcycle is that lane filtering can speed up my commute. The downsides are:

1. Motorcycles are potentially unsafe. And fears expressed by people concerned with the idea are genuine. I've ridden a fair bit in India, but the US is a different ball game. I believe in risk mitigation by undergoing a motorcycle training course.

2. I'd need to rent a car if I need to go on trips which is not really too much of an issue. I don't intend to ride long distance like SF->LA. The max I'd do is probably 150-200 miles a day.

(Like it) Option 2: Buy a used car. Prefer to get a cheap used car with an MT as I can bargain, have the option to sell it quickly if my immigration status doesn't favor me.

Option 3: Live like how I've been living for the past month- relying on Ubers to get me around with the option to rent a car for travel.

Option 3 is more of a left-brain choice. But again, I'm not the average millennial who sees the commute a just another chore. I love my cars/bikes and have lived by driving or riding to most places after I turned 18. I've begun to hate depending on others to get me around- had enough of it for nearly 2 years of grad school in MN.

Please advice. I'd also like to hear about your experience if you've been riding for a while in the USA.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th April 2019 at 09:14.
Old 25th April 2019, 11:04   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Need some advice
Please advice. I'd also like to hear about your experience if you've been riding for a while in the USA.
I owned a few bikes here in the bay area. One thing here is if you know how to do it right, you can buy a bike, ride for a while and and sell for almost the same price so you get free thrills. I did that for a while, did some weekend rides, Doc Wong group rides, a few meetups and the like. Hwy 84, Hwy 9, Calaveras were some of my favorite twisties. I also did a Superbike Coach day - do check it out if you get a bike, a day with Coach Can on the go-kart track is totally worth the ride to Concord and back.

So.. here's my two cents. Here motorcycles are objects of fun, they don't really replace a car. I would say get a bike if you like riding, but get a car anyway. In my opinion a car is indispensable in the bay area. The car is transportation, the bike is a toy.

I eventually stopped riding after I got tired of dressing up like a power ranger every time. With all that gear, warm days are too warm. Cold days are still too cold. It is doable, but my definition of enjoyable has changed. I will definitely get a bike when I move back to India, but here I've given it a rest for now. I think riding in India is so much more fun than riding here.

Also if you plan to ride year-round, consider getting a full suit for the colder months (the one I got is called Joe Rocket Survivor Suit). It makes all the difference between being able to take the bike out in December and not. For the summer get a mesh jacket. Riding pants with armor (I got two sets of of those) are highly recommended too. Don't try to stretch one set of gear across seasons. Been there, done that, it just doesn't work.

Also let me know before buying any gear. I will be selling all of mine, most of it hardly used (because I lost 60 pounds, I had to sell all my old gear and get everything new). I will probably be posting most of my new-ish gear for sale for half-price or less compared to new.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th April 2019 at 11:10.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 08:15   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
...did some weekend rides, Doc Wong group rides, a few meetups and the like. Hwy 84, Hwy 9, Calaveras were some of my favorite twisties......
Yeah- this is what I want. Need my freedom. After the age of 18, I've practically had a lot of freedom on the road and want the ability to ride/drive myself. I've used my motorcycle or my parents' car to get around anywhere.

That's why Uber just doesn't cut it after a point. My daily commute is 10 miles (total distance) and I like riding my bicycle to work. (Healthy option)

Quote:
So.. here's my two cents. Here motorcycles are objects of fun......The car is transportation, the bike is a toy.
I'm a single young guy who just needs to build some revs a few times a week to have fun. I'd understand the need for a car if I had a family (and kids,) but there's no such constraint on me.

Quote:
Also let me know before buying any gear.....
Sure it's going to be a while before I get a license (Maybe July.) The wait times at Santa Clara DMV are too long and I need to undertake my motorcycle safety training course in May.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:31   #6231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a single young guy who just needs to build some revs a few times a week to have fun. I'd understand the need for a car if I had a family (and kids,) but there's no such constraint on me.
Sure it's going to be a while before I get a license (Maybe July.) The wait times at Santa Clara DMV are too long and I need to undertake my motorcycle safety training course in May.
I would suggest don't wait for Santa Clara, go for Santa Theresa or Gilroy or Hayward DMV. Santa Clara is always full, there's no point in waiting. You can also do the MSF course meanwhile and start riding with your car license + MSF completion (no riding in the dark or in the highway till you complete the M1 endorsement). I would recommend the MSF course regardless of how much experience you have riding, it is a lot of fun. The one I did is 2wheelsafety.

About needing a car, sure . It is not about having a family or kids, you may feel differently whenever it is raining (last season we had quite a few days of rainfall), even to buy milk and vegetables things are not convenient here, public transport is painfully slow and virtually non-existent. And when you have friends or a date, a car is invaluable. There are rare souls especially in SF who get by with just a bike but then that is SF which has good public transport, the south bay is a different story.

Good luck with the license and bike shopping! Lots of lovely deals out there on used bikes!
Just a couple of pictures of a few of the bikes I enjoyed here the most, to whet your appetite .

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_1471.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20542892_1772092549471762_793180967_o.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_6243-2.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th April 2019 at 17:16. Reason: Images inserted in-line. ...s removed. ;)
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 00:20   #6232
BHPian

Quote:
I was contemplating getting a motorcycle for a very long time and just bite the bait couple of months back. All my experience back home were in less than 200CC commuter motorcycles. I completed my motorcycle training and straightaway went to purchase one. In my case, I got a 2016 Vulcan 650S with ABS. My plan was to buy a Versys 650 but changed my mind after couple of test drives.

I joined the Indian motorcycling community here in Dallas where I was told about the importance of gearing up before taking your motorcycle for a ride. I have to agree that motorcycle here in US is just for fun. Taking it daily to work is tough as we cannot gear up every day in your formals.

Also you need to store it safely as bikes are very easy to flick. Most of my rider friends had bad experiences when it comes to safe parking. Few of the youngster's Ninja/CBRs were stolen in less than 10 mins from parking in crowded places as well as in Apartment complexes.

Go for the Motorcycle safety course, get your license endorsed, take test drives on your shortlisted motorcycles and go for one. You can start from 650CC as you will easily outgrow a less than 500CC motorcycles. PM if you need any details with respect to motorcycle purchase. I can help you.
hema4saran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 01:00   #6233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Also you need to store it safely as bikes are very easy to flick. Most of my rider friends had bad experiences when it comes to safe parking. Few of the youngster's Ninja/CBRs were stolen in less than 10 mins from parking in crowded places as well as in Apartment complexes.
This is solid advice. I want to add a few more things to this
  • When it comes to motorcycles in the bay area, insurance varies a lot from model to model in the same segment depending on theft statistics. That statistic seems to influence it a lot more than it influences a car.
    For example, insurance on a Daytona 675 is a lot less than on a comparable CBR 600, because the CBR is stolen a lot less.
  • For some reason, the insurance quotes I got on European bikes was a lot less than on a comparable Japanese bike. Again may be because of theft stats.
  • Insurance seems to be driven by class of bike (sports bike the highest), displacement (a 1000cc bike typically costing twice as much as a 600 class), and brand and model. For example, the quotes I got were like this (per year) when I was shopping in 2016:
    • 2016 CBR 1000 $3900
    • 2016 S1000RR $2300 (note that this is probably faster than the CBR but still the insurance is $1600 less!)
    • 2015 CBR 1000 $3200 (notice the difference by one year - this is still a brand new 2015 CBR in 2016)
    • 2016 GSXR1000 $3000
    • 2016 GSXR750 $3080
    • 2015 GSXR750 $2570 (a year down and displacement down)
    • 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale $2295 (this is $1600 less than the CBR!)
    • 2016 F800 $1275 (the bike I ended up buying! Cost one-third the insurance cost of the the CBR, as segment, brand and displacement all helped)
  • Some bikes you can almost assume they will get stolen. Any GSXR or CBR in an apartment parking, for example. Or a Bonneville in SF. Be surprised if you find your bike still there everyday.
  • On that note, insurance varies a lot by just one year. A brand-new zero-mile 2018 bike (leftover in the showroom) sometimes goes for a steal, and on top of that insurance on it is a lot less than on a 2019 bike of the exact same model.
  • Resale value is also similar. You would lose a lot less buying and selling a used Ninja 650, than some fancy niche bike. Generally look for bikes that people typically search for (well known models in their segment), like Ninja, R6 and so on.
If you get some time, read through this Reddit AMA (ask me anything) that an ex-thief did. It gives a lot of information on how to avoid getting your motorcycle stolen. https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...orcycle_thief/

Last edited by aah78 : 21st May 2019 at 18:54. Reason: List added, $'s aded to clarify.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 02:41   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Or, one can buy an old man's bike like me. Nobody ever would steal my Honda NC700. 70mpg, 45hp is no good for racers and stunters. End result, I dont even put the handle bar lock on my motorcycle, I take the key out though. This way it is much easier to move the bike if needed. I dont even have full insurance, just liability of $90 per year. Such is my confidence in my ugly duckling.

I had the same confidence in my Saab93. In the auto theft stats, there were no mentions of Saabs - no need to lock/protect such cars. Its an awesome feeling to feel that secure.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 04:22   #6235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Or, one can buy an old man's bike like me. Nobody ever would steal my Honda NC700. 70mpg, 45hp is no good for racers and stunters.
A very comfortable and commute-friendly bike . Another thing I like about that NC is the under-seat storage.
Honda needs to do a >300cc NC series in India at a reasonable price range that competes with Bajaj and KTM.
Old 27th April 2019, 05:55   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
A very comfortable and commute-friendly bike . Another thing I like about that NC is the under-seat storage.
Honda needs to do a >300cc NC series in India at a reasonable price range that competes with Bajaj and KTM.
I think you mean the Frunk, in the place of a gas tank. Under the seat there is a gas tank. It helps lower the center of gravity.

On longer rides, where you have luggage on the seat, it is painful to have to remove the luggage, then the seat to fill gas. For commuting its the best.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 09:44   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes I meant in place of the gas tank.
I agree about how it helps the handling. My F800R also had the gas tank under the seat, and what a difference it makes to the handling! Unfortunately they changed that with the latest generation F750/F850 bikes.
Old 18th May 2019, 14:10   #6238

Need Help Buying A Used Car In U.S.A

Hi Folks

I'll be relocating to the U.S. for a 1 year assignment and I'll be living in New Jersey. I'm looking for advice on how to buy a used car in the U.S.
Some of the questions that I have are

1. What is the best way to buy a car in the U.S. , would I be better off buying a car directly from an individual seller or from a dealership ? Any other suggestion is also welcome

2. I would like to buy a used car that is reliable, efficient and inexpensive to run, preferably something that doesn't cost a fortune. Any suggestions here ?

If there are other pointers or any other advice that you can share, please do.
Old 18th May 2019, 16:51   #6239
BHPian

Re: Need Help Buying A Used Car In U.S.A

Quote:
You will have many options here. One is to get it from individuals from Craigslist. That is what I have always done and have been a happy customer for all cars and motorcycles I have ever purchased but it requires due diligence and patience since there are many fake ads as well.
Other is Facebook marketplace and then we have used car dealers including but not limited to car max. Dealers will have about 2000+ extra cost but with good dealers you will get peace of mind if you don’t want to deal with individuals and don’t have a flair for detailed inspection and negotiation.
I have messaged you my number should you need to connect and speak offline.
Good luck
Regards

Last edited by Eddy : 18th May 2019 at 16:53. Reason: Fixed quote
bhardwhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 09:18   #6240
BHPian

Re: Need Help Buying A Used Car In U.S.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
Hi Folks

I'll be relocating to the U.S. for a 1 year assignment and I'll be living in New Jersey. I'm looking for advice on how to buy a used car in the U.S.
Some of the questions that I have are

1. What is the best way to buy a car in the U.S. , would I be better off buying a car directly from an individual seller or from a dealership ? Any other suggestion is also welcome

2. I would like to buy a used car that is reliable, efficient and inexpensive to run, preferably something that doesn't cost a fortune. Any suggestions here ?

1) There are many desi car dealers, especially in Middlesex county and a particular one in Edison (I don't remember his name) sells decent and affordable used cars, almost exclusively Hondas and Toyotas. He is present on Indian classifieds. Go find such dealers and pay them a visit. Be sure to check Carfax, these dealers will give you a report for free.

2) Depends on what you want. If your commute is short, for 1 year assignment you can consider buying a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla/Camry. Winters can be brutal, for which you may want to consider an AWD for icy roads, but even a beat-up SUV will cost you more than a low mileage, basic sedan. Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV 4 are most popular "small" AWD SUVs. Honda CR-V will provide you most space.

Long story short, for a 1 year assignment:
1) If your commute is short (like less than 10 miles one way), you can consider Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla/Camry. You'll find many in the used market. No dearth of them.

2) If your commute is longer than that or you value AWD in winters, you can consider small SUVs like CR-V and RAV4. You can't go wrong with both.

3) Authorized dealers sell "certified cars" but they'll be too expensive and they'll try to fleece you. There are desi dealers in towns like Edison who target just Indians on short assignments and have good inventory of usually extensively used but reliable cars. Search for them on Indian classified forums and pay them a visit. Test drive yourself to get a good idea. If you like it, you can bring along a mechanic on a follow-up visit and finalize if the mechanic finds it to be mechanically sound and you get a good deal.
gsbhatia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed