Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 03:59   #6331
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Hey Mohit, Hi to another Tbhp member from Toronto.

I want to share that the manufacturer has honoured my request and I have been reimbursed by the dealer in the form of certified cheque. So, not a single scratch to the contract. Persistence pays off!
I am impressed! Good for you for persevering and good on Hyundai for honoring a frontline worker even in a situation where they could technically wiggle out of it.

Congratulations on the car!
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 07:29   #6332
BHPian

Wow. This thread has been quiet for 3.5months. Is it because everyone's been busy with personal/professional life or nobody really had any plans on purchasing/leasing a car?

Hope all's good with everyone.

I didn't update after I raised few questions for my friend, around same time last year.
He went the used car route and bought 2017 Nissan Rogue (Star Wars Limited Edition) for about $23k. I don't have details of the car, as I didn't enquire much due to lack of excitement in the product.

I'm currently in similar situation as my friend, but with still some time in hand. I have my H1B petition approved and waiting to get my Visa stamped, hopefully sometime in January and if things go fine might travel in March.
I was going through the Web and found one "International Auto Source", who they say are specialized in helping Expats with Car purchase/ lease Vehicle and also low-cost Insurance, with no credit history required.

I dropped an interest in September and found them to be responding quickly via Mail. Since, the situation wasn't in favor of H1B immigrants, I've scheduled to have a call with them at the end of December, to understand how it works.

Would like to know if any of the BHPians used or heard someone going this route upon relocating to the States. What are the things I should check with them as an Expat without any credit history.

URL to their website.
https://intlauto.com/home
Old 9th January 2021, 01:28   #6333
Senior - BHPian

After years of driving family type cars, I am looking to try a performance car that is somewhat practical and can be daily driven if required. The Honda Pilot will stay for long trips and hauling stuff. This will be an add on.

Anyone has experience buying end of lease luxury cars, specifically the Germans brands? I am just starting to research this. Prefer a sedan/coupe with good connected handling and performance, auto trans and under 25K miles, budget around 45K.

The only Germans, I have tried are A4, 328i and an older C220. I have a no experience with the performance line of the brands. Any thoughts on what I should start looking at will be helpful.
Old 9th January 2021, 03:44   #6334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
After years of driving family type cars, I am looking to try a performance car that is somewhat practical and can be daily driven if required. The Honda Pilot will stay for long trips and hauling stuff. This will be an add on.

Anyone has experience buying end of lease luxury cars, specifically the Germans brands? I am just starting to research this. Prefer a sedan/coupe with good connected handling and performance, auto trans and under 25K miles, budget around 45K.

The only Germans, I have tried are A4, 328i and an older C220. I have a no experience with the performance line of the brands. Any thoughts on what I should start looking at will be helpful.
Well, I can't say I have experience of owning a luxury performance German car but, have driven a few and can tell you that it is the most exhilarating ownership experience you can enjoy

About 6 months ago, my sis bought a BMW X5 50i ( Twin Turbo and 450 HP) and have driven it extensively during my 3 visits to her home in Boston including couple of long drives to NJ as well as New Hampshire. The feel of these performance German engines is an unexplainable feeling and for us Indians who like to keep an eye on the FE consumption, it ticks the right boxes too (13-14mpg per gallon in Sport and about 20mpg in Comfort which is not bad at all)

Also, when I was in Boston last month, we test drove a few cars that she was looking to buy for her daughter (16 yrs old and her first car as she can drive independently from March 2021) and decided on a small SUV which could be either a Mere GLA 250 or BMW X1 as she wanted to use that as a multi purpose car if she needs to take a break from the X5 (Her Odyssey is going to be retained for trash duties)

Test drove the GLA 250 - It has a nice creamy engine and decent power and beautiful interiors but, inside it was super cramped and we immediately discarded this option

BMW X1- Compared to GLA 250, it was roomy and felt less powerful than the GLA probably due its slightly larger size and was shortlisted

Sis wanted to also look at GLC 300 as an option as she was keen to get a Merc as there is already a Bimmer at home

Here is where I'm coming for a recommendation for you. While at the BMW showroom, I test drove the BMX X3 30i as well as the BMW X3 M40i

X3 30i : This is a beautiful machine with 4-cycl engine with 250 HP engine is a perfect balance of power, handling and also a great entry into the Bimmer world without splurging too much money ($45K brand new for a RWD and $50K for AWD), Since you live in Texas, I suspect you will not need the AWD

X3 M40i- Now we are talking performance. This is almost Porsche performance level. 385 HP (On Dyno, its 400+ HP) with an in-line 6 is one of the best cars I have driven in a long time. This is a completely different car from the regular X3 30i from almost every aspect (Steering feel, handling etc) and the best part is it makes so much pops and bangs (exhaust note) that you cannot stop that silly grin on your face and you feel like driving a sports car and not a compact luxury SUV (This felt faster than my sister's car). If you are interested, I have a test drive video of this car which I can share (Didn't want to share here due to forum rules)

In summary, I suggest you look at the X3 M40i (If you are looking at an small SUV) or the sedan version of the same (A friend of mine owns that in same city where I live and though haven't driven his car but, I think it might be faster than X3 M40i which does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds) and he is completely in love with that car and he has a history with BMW cars and feels its best value to get into the M performance of BMW

Btw, X3M40i is a $65,000 car but, I see a few available within your budget of $45K but, would be 2018 version (2021 has many standard options compared to previous 2 years)

If you want to lease the new M40i, I have detailed info about that as well.

Cheers and Happy Shopping

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th January 2021 at 03:53.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 02:13   #6335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

If you're looking for a performance sedan, see if you would be interested in a BMW M550i. It had a V8 with around 500 HP 0-60 is less than 4 seconds and could be in your price range. My friend got it last year. Nice balance of performance vs ride.
I would suggest AMG but there's no V8 in that price range.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:01   #6336
BHPian

I'll be moving to FL in few months and wondering if anyone can recommend a good covered car transport company. Also any BHP'ians in Tampa, FL area? Would love to meet up in sunshine state.
Old 30th January 2021, 03:52   #6337
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up a custom ordered top-of-the-line Bimmer a couple of weeks back

It was an impromptu purchase and totally enjoying the “BMW M” power 😊

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-086da7498e7e42379d36f8f313af15a3.jpeg
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 09:22   #6338
BHPian

I sold my 2015 Nissan Altima in August 2020 as both me and my wife are working from home and there was no confirmation of return to office for both of us. Another reason is I find this will be the correct time to get rid of that boring car with CVT transmission.

Still without any confirmation on returning to office, we are more than happy with our current car 2016 MDX. I started thinking about what car to buy next as the vaccination started rolling out. Here are the few cars I short listed and eventually test drives will be started very soon.

New Options with stick shift:
1. Ford Mustang Ecoboost (Driven the Automatic already and it is really good).
2. Subaru WRX (Not STi). (New model coming next year)
3. Civic Type R (Not really sure if I'll plonk $40k on a Civic).
4. Mazda Miata (Not sure if I will fit as I'm 6'2").
5. Volkswagen GTI.
6. I already put a deposit on Ford Bronco 4 door in Badlands Trim with 2.7L Ecoboost V6 with automatic tranmission. Not sure when my turn will come as there are lot of people are in queue in front of me.

Pre-Owned Options:
1. Looking for a certified pre-owned BMW 3/4 series (Not M) with stick shift (2018 onwards). Ready go cross country shopping if I find a good example as stick shift BMW is tough to find.
2. Lexus GX 460/LX 470/Toyota Land Cruiser If I am getting this it will be converted to a off-roader with complete mods. For folks who don't know about GX460, this is the Lexus version of Land Cruiser Prado.

Anyone here have experience with the recent BMW stick shift cars. I know BMW stopped making stick shift 3 series recently and new 4 series also comes only in Automatic. Is there any other cars that should be considered? Not a huge fan of Audi and Mercedes except the S8/A8 and S class.

I was smitten by the offroad bug very recently as lot of folks in my Motorcycle group started getting 4*4 vehicles and doing lot of offroad trips. The Jeeps, 4Runners and FJ cruisers are all awesome with their lift kits and big tires. The Bronco looks promising with its factory option specs but my selected specs is pushing the price to $56k including tax and title . But I am ready to plonk if the initial reviews are in favor of that car.
Old 1st February 2021, 23:10   #6339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Here are the few cars I short listed and eventually test drives will be started very soon.
Since you have a MDX and this will be your fun vehicle, I would tilt towards CTR or a Bronco even though they are totally different vehicles. I spend time in CTR forum often and it offers a great package.

I am with my second MK7 GTI and here is a link to my ownership thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...t-edition.html (My 2019 VW Golf GTI DSG (Rabbit Edition))). This platform has a lot of potential with aftermarket upgrades but i tilt towards the CTR as you are looking for a manual and something fun.
vj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:36   #6340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I am with my second MK7 GTI and here is a link to my ownership thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...t-edition.html (My 2019 VW Golf GTI DSG (Rabbit Edition))). This platform has a lot of potential with aftermarket upgrades but i tilt towards the CTR as you are looking for a manual and something fun.
You got a wonderful GTI there and price was also really good for a brand new GTI. I'll PM you in case if I finalized GTI for dealership details. I am ready to drive cross country if I am able to save $7k from MSRP. Most of the dealers around Dallas are quoting atleast $28k+Tax+other fee for the SE trim. As much as I love the DSG, I am still not convinced with the reliability of the DSG transmission and I will pick one with stick shift if I am getting one. I am sure we are almost at the end of cycle for all stick shift cars atleast here in US.

Mazda Miata is rejected by home minister as we need to use child seat in case if I need to pick my kid from her daycare. Mustang is okay as we have friends using child seat in the Mustang.

One of the problem I see with Civic Type-R is most of the dealers not willing to offer test drive and showing high handedness like they are doing a favor for us by selling this car.

Mustang/GTI/WRX all will be bought at around $30k drive out price here in Dallas. The major tilting factor for the WRX is its symmetrical AWD and will be the most fun to throw around the corner. I will wait for the initial reviews of Bronco and then make a final decision.
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:52   #6341
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any other cars that should be considered?
Hey hema4saran,

I am surprised that you are not considering the Dodge Challenger/Charger.

The Charger/Challenger are practical and ridiculously fun. They might not be the best handling but deserve to be checked out.

When I was in the US as a child , Dodge had a very bad reputation for quality and reliability. But as far as my understanding goes , they have improved a lot. You could even get a good deal on them during the power dollars sales. Sure do check them out.

Other than that the Mustang and the WRX seem to be a good shout.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 2nd February 2021 at 14:56.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:22   #6342
BHPian

Quote:
You got a wonderful GTI there and price was also really good for a brand new GTI. I'll PM you in case if I finalized GTI for dealership details. I am ready to drive cross country if I am able to save $7k from MSRP. Most of the dealers around Dallas are quoting atleast $28k+Tax+other fee for the SE trim. As much as I love the DSG, I am still not convinced with the reliability of the DSG transmission and I will pick one with stick shift if I am getting one. I am sure we are almost at the end of cycle for all stick shift cars atleast here in US.
Sure, i can give you some leads if you finalize a GTI but deals in the past year (post covid) isnt as good as before. DSG transmission has evolved overtime and is at its best. This transmission was a major reason i zeroed on my first GTI in 2016. MK7 platform is pretty solid with very few minor issues and this vehicle is going to be in our garage for a very long time. You can try spending some time in GolfMK7 forum which has some great resources.

Quote:
One of the problem I see with Civic Type-R is most of the dealers not willing to offer test drive and showing high handedness like they are doing a favor for us by selling this car.
Thats true among most dealers, but there are some pretty good ones out there as well. You might be able to find some good dealers in your area using civicx forum.

Quote:
Mustang/GTI/WRX all will be bought at around $30k drive out price here in Dallas. The major tilting factor for the WRX is its symmetrical AWD and will be the most fun to throw around the corner. I will wait for the initial reviews of Bronco and then make a final decision.
Couple of my friends own a WRX and its a great vehicle. I would find a reason to drive my roommate's vehicle every time we went out together. But its a little rough for day to day driving and the whole platform is a little outdated.
vj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 06:21   #6343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
Hey hema4saran,

I am surprised that you are not considering the Dodge Challenger/Charger.

Other than that the Mustang and the WRX seem to be a good shout.
Dodge challenger is not as fun as the other options I mentioned. I have driven that during one of the rental. The straight line acceleration the most fun with Dodge. Apart from that I don't see anything great in their car. It is too long and still running on the old platform.

On the Contrary, Ford is continuously updating the Mustang and the latest generation is very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
MK7 platform is pretty solid with very few minor issues and this vehicle is going to be in our garage for a very long time. You can try spending some time in GolfMK7 forum which has some great resources.

Couple of my friends own a WRX and its a great vehicle. I would find a reason to drive my roommate's vehicle every time we went out together. But its a little rough for day to day driving and the whole platform is a little outdated.

Thanks for giving inputs on my options. I am looking for the GTI and WRX in Tuoro rental so that I can drive and get a feel of the car. This way I can keep the car for a day or two and push around my usual routes to get a feel of the car.
hema4saran is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 03:53   #6344
Senior - BHPian

Folks, finally I got a chance to get this down. Will try to keep it short and interesting. I have always wanted to own a performance car from my young age. Still remember, as a teenager collecting old foreign auto mags from an used paper mart.

On one such magazine's cover was the launch of a special edition of the first generation Mazda Miata. Said to myself, I will buy this car one day. That was circa 1995. Time went by and I forgot the Miata. Got to see the car for the first time in 2008 on an UK trip. I was rather dejected upon seeing the car and reading the spec sheet. I questioned myself, is the really the car I dreamed as a kid.

Moved to the US in 2015 with full intention to remain here. So I knew getting to a dream car was easily attainable now. After all, USA is the largest market in the world. Lets run out and get that big fire breathing monster. Obviously life gets you. A performance car is the not first priority for someone getting settled in a new country. I let other items take center stage and keep the dream alive instead with a motorcycle or should say "motorcycles".

My dream car changed often as I got older and wiser. Usually dream cars go more premium. Instead went backwards, starting with the Pagani Zonda-Ferrari 360 Modena-Porsche 911-718 Cayman-Mustang GT-370Z and you guessed it right, the humble Mazda Miata!!!

You would ask why? Started driving sporty cars either via rentals (www.turo.com) and dealerships. Then something hit me, where is my skill level at? My manual driving skills were rusty, my heel/toe technique was pathetic and shifts were not smooth. Will I be able to handle the power, can I autocross or track in the future? Luckily my motorcycle riding skills helped. Rented a MT Polaris Slingshot, Subaru WRX Sti and Mini CopperS over a few weeks.

Tried several sports sedans like the BMW M340i, Audi S5, Infiniti Q50, C43 AMG. It didn't make sense as its another car with AT. It won't give me the driving engagement I was seeking. You had to go fast to feel the car and then I was way above the speed limit.

It dawned on me MIATA - Miata is always the answer!! Again spend an entire day with a rental RF via Turo to see how its to live with. The car has lot of shortcomings, the bhp/torque numbers are nothing to write about. It's tiny, loud inside and not very practical.

I wanted something quick around a corner, not just in a straight line, agile and engaging to drive, MT, relatively cheap to buy, maintain and have an interesting history. Also didn't want something that requires you to be fast to have fun and end up with speeding tickets. The car carries the speed and is extremely playful even at slow 40-50 mph. Have a fair understanding of what the tires are doing and can feel the road. Miata checks all the boxes and couldn't be more happy.

Received an offer I couldn't refuse on a 2020 GT with all the Club edition goodies like Bilstein suspension and awesome limited slip diff. To further sweeten the deal, received a 5 year 0% interest finance with a small amount down.

Here's my 26 year dream car which started with beauties from Italy, Germany, US and finally the humble Japanese roadster. Thanks to tbhp for allowing to pen down our thoughts. Hope to go around some hill country roads and in the future autocross/track.

Feel free to ask me about the car, no expert, but reading a lot. Trust me, its a very simple and approachable car if you don't look at the spec sheet and the funny memes! If you are looking at an entry level sportscar, give the Miata a DEKHO!

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-mx5-2.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-mx5-1.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th February 2021 at 20:08. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
mail4ajo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 04:31   #6345
Team-BHP Support

Congrats mail4ajo. You can't go wrong with a Mazda, and definitely not with a Miata, or MX-5. This is the time to look back at some of the Top Gear episodes where the trio pit the Miata against its peers and come back thumbs up.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks