Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 00:37   #121
BHPian

Yeah Kinda racist & patriotic... Driving a Honda to a local workshop gives queer looks

And the Honda looks lost among hordes ofGrand Am's, Grand Prix's, Dodge Ram's,Jeeps, GMC 1500's and all.. the only Jap which has UP's approval is Subaru

Queer place... I'm stuck here because I already have my project running cannot transfer
Old 12th July 2008, 00:39   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Yeah Kinda racist & patriotic... Driving a Honda to a local workshop gives queer looks

And the Honda looks lost among hordes ofGrand Am's, Grand Prix's, Dodge Ram's,Jeeps, GMC 1500's and all.. the only Jap which has UP's approval is Subaru

Queer place... I'm stuck here because I already have my project running cannot transfer
Yeah I know, I went there a few times (to the UP) and hated it, if you goto a big city like NYC or on the west coast you will see the difference in cars, I barely see a pontiac and gang here....which is a good thing !!!
Old 12th July 2008, 07:32   #123
BHPian

Pontiac is like the old amby.. It breaks down really often but any garage can fix it, It'll be on the road within a day. The UP way of life..
Old 18th July 2008, 15:26   #124
BHPian

Try to buy direct from owner (preferably first owner) Check carfax and make sure it's got a clean history. No accidents means you'll be able to sell your car quicker.
Get the car checked by pep boys os someone similar.
Something else I've realised( too late) is that while selling, you'll lose a similar amount in money terms irrespective of the cost of the car. But a $8000 car will be more reliable than a $3000 car.
Old 19th July 2008, 00:40   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Try to buy direct from owner (preferably first owner) Check carfax and make sure it's got a clean history. No accidents means you'll be able to sell your car quicker.
Get the car checked by pep boys os someone similar.
Something else I've realised( too late) is that while selling, you'll lose a similar amount in money terms irrespective of the cost of the car. But a $8000 car will be more reliable than a $3000 car.
I agree !!!

One more thing I have learnt is carfax does not show everything, even if the carfax report is clean the car could have got into a accident and just not been reported. Take the car to a bodyshop too and they can do a quick inspection.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:15   #126
BHPian

8000$ car??? In that budjet you can go for Certified Preowned from the dealer itself.
Old 19th July 2008, 20:15   #127

hey guys lots of refined information than what i have far sure you guys are impacting my car purchase a lot. Thank you all. So is subaru all the way to go ????? in Orange County although i did'nt even find one so far.
Old 20th July 2008, 00:13   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalakannan View Post
hey guys lots of refined information than what i have far sure you guys are impacting my car purchase a lot. Thank you all. So is subaru all the way to go ????? in Orange County although i did'nt even find one so far.
Why didnt you mention you were in So Cal? I can personally help you here, PM me and I can send you my number.
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:33   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
But a $8000 car will be more reliable than a $3000 car.
Not necessarily.

I've bought a Nissan Altima 1990 in ME for under 2500USD with 143k kms on the odo.

Its the 4th ownership but it has a service history which is brief but points towards the basic maintainence of the vehicle. I have maintained a thorough log and service parts change over period of last 6 yrs.

The vehicle has now clocked 219k kms and is as good as miantence free with the timely oil / filter changes
but i have changed the timing belt, tensioner bearing, serviced the AC, changed the clutch - done all these repairs / service costing under USD 800.

So I would not hessitate to pick a car even if it has more than 250K as long as it has
service history
basic look of car external and engine bay
a drive feel
above all first preference TOYOTA COROLLA
then Altima, Sunny, & Camry

my personal experience if you are on a budget!!
Old 11th August 2008, 02:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually from dollar, you will pay 30$/day for a midsize(Charger) which is including LDW and Insurance.
On Indian license, you " need" insurance. Its 12$/day.
In case if LDW its your choice.
A mercedes C class has arond 30$ LDW from enterprise.
A Mustang has 14$(but I paid 9$ which is same as a economy),
It pays to make a good relationship with the rental center. A smile and small chat always helps.
Hi
Am gonna be there for 6 months and I am a Gujurati who wants to save money through good mileage. I cant decide which car I shoud go for as I have a good lack of knowledge about foreign cars.
Besides that within 500-600$ including insurance is possible then its great. I am not keen to buy any specific car or any high end car as my purpose is to travel and not having a good ride but I need the car in a good condition and if possible, latest model but I don't mind even if its a Fiat
Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 12th August 2008 at 21:51. Reason: Posts moved to existing thread.
Old 11th August 2008, 09:12   #131
Team-BHP Support

Are you going to be renting a car there for 6 months or are you leasing?
Old 11th August 2008, 11:06   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Are you going to be renting a car there for 6 months or are you leasing?
Renting car for 6 months cause it covers insurance if I am not mistaken.
Why what do u suggest
Old 11th August 2008, 11:30   #133
Team-BHP Support

With insurance the cheapest you can get it 700$/month
The most FE cars are Aveo/cobalt and Honda Civic
Try dollar.com for Civic and Avis/Hertz etc., stock chevy's
Where exactly in california are you going?
Old 11th August 2008, 14:33   #134
BHPian

Quote:
With insurance the cheapest you can get it 700$/month
The most FE cars are Aveo/cobalt and Honda Civic
Try dollar.com for Civic and Avis/Hertz etc., stock chevy's
Where exactly in california are you going?
Thanks.
I'm going to Carlsbad, CA. Yeah I have checked out Aveo and Cobalt but didn't notice about Civic. I heard you get cheap rates at auto rent at San Diego. I think Civic is a very good option and with 700$+insurance sounds good to me.
But I want to know from all of you as you all are experts in automobile, which car (FE Car) would you rent?
Old 11th August 2008, 14:48   #135
BHPian

carlsbad is just about 20 miles north of where I live in San Diego. Hit up dawg once you are here. if you give me a specific budget all inclusive of taxes, insurance, misc charges and gas cost you are willing to incur, i'll try and find you some real time info around here.

welcome brother

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks