Team-BHP - Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/7893-buying-owning-driving-maintaining-car-north-america.html)

Note from Support:

This thread has grown large with lots of information.
Before posting What Car? queries please go through the following guidelines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,
i am told to leave for US in coming weeks. may stay there for an year or so.
but needed some idea on buying my wheels there.

I am going to Irving,TX. means no chilling winters, but hot in summers though. I can make do with a bike......that means I will try to pick up a good bike, and a so so car (resalablility is important).

would love to invest money on bike if it means I can bring to india later. I know i can hire harleys in TX for the weekend (though costlier than most cars), so need to make my mind on what to take.

BTW, i am 29, and going to be with family. more interested in cruisers. here are some questions for the experienced folks.

1. license formalities. how shud i go about it. does IDP work good in TX? and how difficult it is to get a 2 wheeler license.

2. what are the cars i shud be looking at. keeping in mind the rising fuel prices. in fact i wud love to drive an old long impala ;) . but again resalabilty is an issue. looked at ebay and figured out i can get 1995+ make in 2kUSD....wud prefer jap cars though.

3. any tips before i make any proceedings.

please throw in ur suggestions, am listening.

vivekiny2k:
go through the following websites related to the texas motor vehicle dept.
you'll get your required information on these websites.
as you're coming with family i'd recommend you go in for a car instead of a motorcycle, initially. Texas weather is dry & hot, so a car will work out much better for everyday use.
also, there is no way you're going to get all your groceries on a motorcycle.
you should be able to get a good deal on a used car. 2nd hand japanese cars will be available aplenty but they will be slightly higher priced than their american or european counterparts. reliability will depend on how the previous owner(s) have treated the car so you'll have to be careful while shopping (ofcourse!) but i'm sure your colleagues here will guide you regarding that aspect.
i'd recommend, you keep the old used impala aside for the time being as it'll probably spend more time in the workshop than with you.
ping me if you need any specific info.

ad

thanks ad.

will go thru it. once I land there, i might have more questions.

Dude

Talk to Raihan. He made the same move recently to the states.

hey dude ..
cant say much about the cruiser bike ..

but yeah ..
what kind of a budget are you looking at for the car ?
popular jap options would be
Honda -Civic 2/4dr ,Accord 2/4dr
Toyota - Camry ,Corolla,Echo

japs as mpower said will be costlier to purchase but with a high resale value ..quality of the vehicle will depend on its previous ownership..

So here i bring up my old thread to life. I got my license, and looking for cars. mosly Jap.

mostly mid sized cars like corolla and mitsubishi galant, i am getting around 4-6K. I also had help from my friends who say they may be a good deal.

What do you guys think about a 2002 Mitsu montero. quote is close to 7K. and since i am not expcting to drive much in next few months because of expanding family, i think i don't need to worry about mileage. My office is hardly 1-2 mile from my home.

any more inputs? especially any lateral thoughts?

Bike is on hold as of now. just a question, what is the minimum age for a pillion on bike :D .

thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
So here i bring up my old thread to life. I got my license, and looking for cars. mosly Jap.

mostly mid sized cars like corolla and mitsubishi galant, i am getting around 4-6K.

try craigslist to look for cars around your area. you can browse to the city closest to you -> dallas, houston, el paso, etc. and then in the for sale section, go to cars+trucks or motorcycles.

its better than ebay Motors in the sense that most of the listings are local and you can go check the vehicle out for yourself instead of blindly bidding on it online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
what is the minimum age for a pillion on bike

rule varies state-wise so you're better off calling the Texas DMV at the number on their website to get a proper reply.

check out the website links i've put up in this post earlier for the number.

ad

yeah man I can vouch for craigslist, I bought my Integara from there.
cheers,
Raihan

You can also try www.vehix.com.

~Sonic

you can even try sulekha.com or eknazar.com

Just a word of caution... be very careful when you buy any used car from a used car dealer, these guys are leaches... they will treat you like king before you make a deal and once you sign the papers you are on your own, no after sales service no nothing (some will even talk like you committing a crime by going back to them)

So my advice is to search for private party sellers... you will get a better deal and more negotiating power! (As mentioned by some folks earlier CL and Ebay motors are the best)

>> Always ask for a carfax report (this will tell you if there were any accidents etc)
>> Title should be clear... (no salvage, rebuild title)
>> Fewer owners the better (one or two owners is good)
>> Service records... (Usually ppl who care of their cars keep all service records)
>> Also if possible get an inspection done before you make the deal (they will tell you if there's any major work pending)

Most important... don’t expect the car to be perfect, its used so you should expect issues (and hope the issues are minor)

Oh and DONT FORGET you'll be buying insurance and that's a killer in most states I duno about texas (never lived there) but the north east is really bad when it comes to insurance...
for an example I use to pay 4500 per year when i bought my first car (lot of factors involved like the made/model of the car, age of the driver, number of drivers, how old is your US license, etc...) So also look for insurance quotes before making a deal...

Good luck.. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Regarding Cars:
Since it's going to be for a year, i'd suggest you go for a japanese vehicle...it may be a little higher, but will give you some money back when plan to come back.
Nissan/Honda/Toyota

I'd look at a Jap car only becuase it will be your only car. An Accord or Camry or Maxima would be best suited. Reliable and safe. Otherwise a BMW 3 series is good too.

I would even sugest getting on used and not bothering to get it back what with this LHD-RHD thing.

Brother :)) if u rent a bike you'll have to live on the street. Bike rentals are wayyyy to expensive here. I tried renting a bike once before I had mine, it was unbelievable exhorbitant. They ask for a 1500$ deposit apart from the minimum 90$ per day rent.

thanks guys,

so keeping everything in mind, i went for a mitsubishi galant. 2002 model. black with grey interior. getting it for 4.8K (tax included). it's from an official dealer thru a mutual friend. have done the carfax and 20 point check from firestone.

@Dapilot: I agree with the used car issues thing. There is no perfect car, just a perfectly maintained car. just like there is nothing like a perfect life................

buying insrance from geico, the quote is 760 for 6 months. hopefully it will reduce in next term.

as mentioned in my thread in tyres section, i have reverted back to 15inch wheels from 17inch, after talking to bridgestone guys.

getting the delivery today eve, will post the pics as soon as i have them.
have a nice weekend.