Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 09:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?

from worldcarfans

This story comes to us courteous of CrankAndPiston.com writer Phil McGovern who covers the Middle East for the auto mag.
Taken in the Qatari desert, these photos of a Jaguar XJ220 left to languish at the mercy of the elements are wrenching to any lover of the model. The XJ220 was a mid-engined sports car developed by Jaguar in partnership with Tom Walkinshaw Racing. It premiered in 1988 as a concept car and was produced between the years 1992 and 1994. Only 281 were ever made.
The 220 moniker stems from the car's top-speed goal of 220 mph which it came close to reaching. The production version was rear-wheel drive that came with 3.5 liter twin-turbo V6 generating 542 bhp (404 kW) and 645 Nm (476 lb-ft) of torque. Quite different from the concept version which was fitted with a 6.2 liter engine with 500 bhp (370 kW) and an all-wheel drive system. For a brief time it held the record as the fastest production car with a top speed of 350 km/h (217 mph).
The car remains a classic and existing models usually sell for around £100,000 (€115,000).
This one, with its faded LeMans Blue paint, has likely lost a lot of its value. Even if it has only 900 km on the odometer. Ouch!
The circumstances behind the abandoned supercar are quite vague, but check out the Jalopnik source link below for Phil McGovern's account.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Do make sure that you provide the references/original source for every piece of material that has been taken from another website/publication, to give credit to the original author.

Please PM us with the link / source so that we may edit the post and include it appropriately.
Attached Thumbnails
900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?-1989697.jpg  

900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?-4014714.jpg  

900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?-4076088.jpg  

900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?-7494214.jpg  

900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?-8053445.jpg  

900 km run Jaguar XJ 220 and Ferrari Enzo left to perish, can anyone save it?-8430005.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 12th April 2010 at 19:13. Reason: See note in post.
Old 10th April 2010, 10:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is a really sad sight. This is what happens to people who have more money than taste. Or people who were rich at some point of time and then went bankrupt! Someone should really try and restore this very rare car to former glory!
Old 10th April 2010, 10:34   #3
BANNED

Somebody please rescue this lovely car .

Not only this there are lots of cars available like this.

For EG there is a brand new Landcruiser for sale/auction.It is fully imported and at the price of around 30L .thats damn cheap ,but i dont have the MONEY to buy it

if you need details PM me
Old 10th April 2010, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Just love this car, I am sure there must be hundred's of these exotics one can find here in ME waiting to be scraped, It still seems to be in restorable condition.
But JAG spare's dosent come cheap.
Old 10th April 2010, 11:31   #5
BHPian

Its very sad sight to see such classics being ignored and left to rust. But, it is rather unusual that the car is still intact eventhough it is been lying in around in what seems to be an industrial zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
For EG there is a brand new Landcruiser for sale/auction.It is fully imported and at the price of around 30L .thats damn cheap ,but i dont have the MONEY to buy it
I doubt if the duty for the car is included in the price. So if it is brand new LC (unregistered) then you will have to pay the taxes/import duties during the time of registration .
Old 10th April 2010, 12:09   #6
BANNED

Really a nice car.

Sad to see it languish like that.

Hope it goes to some good collector and gets lots of TLC for the rest of its life.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Really sad to see a beauty like this fade away.
Seems like the doors are not even locked.
Old 10th April 2010, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

I love this car & we very well know people the world over love it too. I wonder why it's rotting. By now collectors should have been queuing up to grab it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariKSA View Post
But JAG spare's dosent come cheap.
Agreed bro, but there are people with that kind of money & willing to spend too, I'm sure.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 10th April 2010 at 14:19.
Old 11th April 2010, 00:57   #9
BHPian

Nice find Sidindica. Will you share the link to the whole story behind this tragedy?
Btw, Aditya are you reading this??
Old 12th April 2010, 11:37   #10
BHPian

It really hurts me to see such a good car in a bad state .I wish someone who truly loves XJ220 will restore this car,after reading the sad story of this car.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

send it to the overhauled team from Discovery Turbo, they will make a monster out of it.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:03   #12
BHPian

This was one of the best supercars of its time. Sadly it just didnt hold on to its value & started selling in the used car market for just 50% of its cost within a short period after its launch.
Even JC who's normally know for not being so nice to Jag had said that this is one of the finest sports cars & that it would be faster than even today's modern super cars considering the lack of electronics in it. This could also be the reason for the owner just dumping the car to rot.
Pit to see one of my dream cars to rust like this. Unfortunately I will require to buy the car along with an oil field to make it run.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
from worldcarfans

This story comes to us courteous of CrankAndPiston.com writer Phil McGovern who covers the Middle East for the auto mag.
Taken in the Qatari desert, these photos of a Jaguar XJ220 left to languish at the mercy of the elements are wrenching to any lover of the model.
This is sad but i guess the hit taken by the people in M.E. is also a factor that has made this car stand in its present condition. I am sure there are people all over the world with the money but not all of them have this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Somebody please rescue this lovely car .

Not only this there are lots of cars available like this.

if you need details PM me
Only someone from Abroad can rescue this car. I would love too as these were limited numbers and i know these will not be built again. The only problem is Brining it to India as it would be a LHD and it is way over the three year permissable age group.

You mean the 100 series or the 101 series land cruiser? Which auction is this my friend? The DRI in Mumbai has 40 cars for auction. A person i know bought his M5 from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
I doubt if the duty for the car is included in the price. So if it is brand new LC (unregistered) then you will have to pay the taxes/import duties during the time of registration .
If it is a government body auction then it is all inclusive. You have to pay the registration charge at the RTO to register the car. The Customs give you an NOC. So in this case it would be 30 Lakhs plus Registration charge.

If the car is siezed then you only pay the 30 lakhs and the car is yours to drive, you still get a NOC from the customs. In the person i knows case the car is registered in another State so he is getting it transferred to MH at the normal rate, nothing extra is being paid by him.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2010 at 19:24.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:21   #14
BHPian

It hurts to see such a beautiful car wasted. But I heard that in the Middle East, the oil rich sheiks have a tendency to abandon such exotics by the road side as they want to pick up the newer ones! I guess in the Gulf, money grows on trees!
Old 12th April 2010, 20:47   #15
BHPian

Speedy where is this auction happening ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks