Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 22:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

McLaren boss calls Veyron "junk," claims Top Gear race with F1 staged

Quote:
When you've been responsible for as many Formula One World Championships and devastatingly fast supercars – including the new McLaren MP4-12C (pictured above) – as Ron Dennis, you're entitled to speak your mind... and for others to listen up. The executive chairman and part owner of the McLaren Group, Dennis has earned a reputation for his outspoken opinion, and this time directed his criticism toward the venerable Bugatti Veyron.

In a recent interview, Dennis characterized the Veyron as a "piece of junk" and "pig ugly". Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Ron?

The speed guru went on to allege that the race staged by Top Gear between the Veyron and McLaren's own venerable F1 supercar on the streets of Abu Dhabi was exactly that... staged. According to Dennis, the McLaren had the Bugatti handily beat on every run, and that the video footage was edited to make it seem like the Veyron was the quicker of the two. Check it out after the jump and decide for yourself.

McLaren boss calls Veyron "junk," claims Top Gear race with F1 staged; Autoblog
Old 16th April 2010, 23:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Everyone knows that F1 is a legend in cars but so does the Veyron, and maybe Top gear video was staged but i don't understand how a F1 will win a drag with Veyron. It can be faster on a track but drag c'on.
Old 16th April 2010, 23:55   #3
BHPian

the mclaren boss can say what he likes, but i never get bored of watching this race
Old 17th April 2010, 00:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

The start if its for real it should be because of the sophisticated launch control in the MclarenF1. Could possibly be derived from the Mclaren Formula1 cars.

The drag looks unreal to me otherwise!
Old 17th April 2010, 23:32   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ol' Ron needn't have bothered. Everyone knows that the Mclaren is the better car . Seriously. Both are amazing machines, yet the Mclaren F1 is an all-rounder. An engineering marvel that is ahead of the game, even though it was developed 20 years back! The Veyron, on the other hand, was built with only one purpose : BRAGGING rights (1001BHP et al).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2010, 00:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yup, the Top Gear vid was staged, but not in the Veyron's favour.

The Mclaren F1 should have lost by a huge margin. The acc of the Mclaren F1 is nowhere close to that of the Veyron.

Forget the 0-100, 0-200 or even the 0-300 figures, where the Veyron trounces the Mclaren.

Lets talk time vs distance.

A Veyron does the 1/4 mile in 9.9secs while the Mclaren F1 does it in 11.1, so its physically impossible for the Mclaren to be near the Veyron at the 1/4 mile mark.

I too am a big fan of the Mclaren F1, but facts are facts. The Mclaren is not even in the same league as the Veyron when it comes to straightline acceleration. The Veyron does 0-320kmph in the time it takes the Mclaren to do 200-320kmph!!!

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 18th April 2010 at 00:55.
Old 18th April 2010, 00:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Very immature comment from a guy like Ron. At least he could have chosen to word it in a more grown up way.

BTW, its the new McLaren that has the most 'unimaginative' styling. Unlike a Ferrari Italia, there is ABSOLUTELY no emotion in the design....a hotchpotch of many supercars. Must have been designed by an engineer.

Lastly the Veyron is a high speed sport touring car not a track tool.
Old 18th April 2010, 03:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Very immature comment from a guy like Ron. At least he could have chosen to word it in a more grown up way.

BTW, its the new McLaren that has the most 'unimaginative' styling. Unlike a Ferrari Italia, there is ABSOLUTELY no emotion in the design....a hotchpotch of many supercars. Must have been designed by an engineer.

Absolutely right. Ron totally lost it. The new McLaren , is indeed a very dull design, I am not sure what's going on at McLaren. The F1 was/is such a legend, surely they could have done better in the 20years since then.
Old 18th April 2010, 06:18   #9
BHPian

The new Mclaren is a Piece if junk and it looks so ugly.I too think that the race was staged as its Impossible for the Mclaren to take the lead in the beginning.
Old 18th April 2010, 06:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Absolutely. Not a nice thing to say. Someone has made a faster car, just accept it gracefully.
Quote:
To me even the F1 didn't look great. XJ220, Diablo - both way better looking.
Quote:
Bang on. The Veyron was built to be just one thing - the fastest car in the world and that it did in style.
Old 18th April 2010, 06:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Such an illiterate statement from someone so experienced. People would expect better from such a person. Buggati should invite Ron and his F1 for a drag ! I think the race actually favored the f1. I was thinking it was going to lose by a bigger margin. There was actually a report saying that because of the immense heat the turbo actually got bogged down and the veyron didn't deliver its best.
The f1 is a legendary car no doubt and it would smoke a veyron around the track. But in a drag I simply dont see that happening.
And after seeing the MP4 i really cant pictures Ron and his crack team to make another supercar like the F1.
Old 18th April 2010, 20:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

People need to stop comparing these two cars. One is a thoroughbred race car, and what a car at that (!), whilst the other is a comfy GT with a monster engine and mammoth acceleration. One is an efficient rucksack built for purpose, the other an LV handbag with all the bells and whistles. They're both great in their own right, but nothing will ever trounce the F1 as the single greatest car made. It still gives me shivers when I see one in the flesh. The Veyron just doesn't do the same.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

While the mclaren is a v fast car, well engineered car the veyron is a completely different thing. The veyron made the impossible possible. 1000 bhp in a production car.

cheers,
ac
Old 20th April 2010, 14:47   #14
BHPian

Bugatti Rules,McLaren is an Old Horse now!!!
Old 20th April 2010, 21:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think Mclaren design team got together and discussed about the Veyron and how they could baselessly attack it.
Gordon Murray, designer of the McLaren F1 (which for many years was the fastest production car ever built) said the following about the Bugatti Veyron in UK auto magazine evo during its development period:
“ The most pointless exercise on the planet has got to be this four-wheel-drive 1000 horsepower Bugatti. I think it's incredibly childish this thing people have about just one element—top speed or standing kilometre or 0–60. It's about as narrow minded as you can get as a car designer to pick on one element. It's like saying we're going to beat the original Mini because we're going to make a car 10mph faster on its top speed—but it's two foot longer and 200 kilos heavier. That's not car designing—that just reeks of a company who are paranoid... ” However, Murray was impressed with the Veyron after he test drove one although still apprehensive about it in an article he wrote for Road and Track magazine.[28

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks