Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

International Engine of the year 2010

Overall international engine of the year 2010 is the VW 1.4 litre TSI Twincharger.

It beats the Fiat multiair 1.4 turbo in the 1.4 litre category. MultiAir won the best new engine 2010.

1.4 TSI pipped BMW 3 litre twin turbo in the "International Engine of the year" category.

In the sub 1 litre category, Toyota 1 lit engine won the award.

In the 1.4-1.8 lit category, BMW-PSA 1.6 lit turbo petrol gets it.

For more information, the following site can be visited:
International Engine of the Year Awards 2010

It looks like Europeans are catching up with the Japanese in petrol engines.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:33   #2
BHPian

In Germany, BMW, VW and other brand are giving tough competition to the Japanies car in terms of quality and reliability.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Toyota should try and get its 1lt engine to India.And maybe design an i10 competitor using this engine.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Overall international engine of the year 2010 is the VW 1.4 litre TSI Twincharger.
Great news! The engine is an indeed engineering marvel. I am glad that my Golf has this engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
In Germany, BMW, VW and other brand are giving tough competition to the Japanies car in terms of quality and reliability.
Were Japanese cars ever in competition in Germany?

Nirmal
Old 24th June 2010, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Great news! The engine is an indeed engineering marvel. I am glad that my Golf has this engine.

Were Japanese cars ever in competition in Germany?

Nirmal
Yes these days German manufatures are concentrating on reliability. ADAC report were reporting Japanies cars on top for the reliability until 2007, according to their 30 year breakdown static. But during 2009 ADAC reports Audi as top on reliability and Merc is the 2nd but only C-Class, whereas Audi is on top rank with A2, A3 and A6.

Source: German cars tops in latest ADAC Breakdown Statistics - MotorAuthority
Old 24th June 2010, 14:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post

It beats the Fiat multiair 1.4 turbo in the 1.4 litre category. MultiAir won the best new engine 2010.
Initially I was confused with the above 2 statements. But on going through the link its clear. Thanks for sharing the information.

I'm blown away by Toyota's 1 litre engine that says...
Quote:
Weighing in at just 67kg – which makes it one of the lightest automotive engines ever to be developed...
Weight-saving technologies applied include an all-aluminium construction, an extra-small cylinder bore-to-bore distance and the innovative use of a resin throttle body and fuel delivery pipe.
the eco-friendly threecylinder ensures an ultra-efficient fuel consumption rating of 4 litres/ 100km (62mpg), while emitting a mere 109g/km of CO2.
Its advanced variable valve timing system optimises timing to deliver 67bhp
The 93Nm of torque that comes good at 3,600rpm is also particularly helpful when needing to accelerate in urban areas
Old 24th June 2010, 18:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Initially I was confused with the above 2 statements. But on going through the link its clear. Thanks for sharing the information.

Quote:
Weighing in at just 67kg – which makes it one of the lightest automotive engines ever to be developed...
Weight-saving technologies applied include an all-aluminium construction, an extra-small cylinder bore-to-bore distance and the innovative use of a resin throttle body and fuel delivery pipe.
the eco-friendly threecylinder ensures an ultra-efficient fuel consumption rating of 4 litres/ 100km (62mpg), while emitting a mere 109g/km of CO2.
Its advanced variable valve timing system optimises timing to deliver 67bhp
The 93Nm of torque that comes good at 3,600rpm is also particularly helpful when needing to accelerate in urban areas
When can we have such engines, we do deserve better than what we get now.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
When can we have such engines, we do deserve better than what we get now.
Patience my dear friend ; its a known fact that we're lagging atleast couple decade behind the technology. So these will take its own sweet time to reach here. Probably they'll reach here when you upgrade to an SUV!!!
Old 24th June 2010, 19:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Not too impressed with the Toyota engine. The 1.4 litre TSI from VW emits just 144 g/km compared to Toyota's 109 g/km keeping in mind that it almost thrice as powerful!
The K Series engine in A-Star is pretty high tech as well and if I remember correctly, with its dry weight at 47 kgs, its lighter than Toyota as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks