Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 17:37   #1
octaneoverdose

Have you heard of BUFORI?

I once chanced upon this website for exquisite retro hand-crafted luxury cars. I was floored.

After an elaborate search on teambhp, I realised that no one has posted anything about the relatively young luxury marquee.

I even wikied it. AND THIS IS WHAT WIKI TOLD ME

BUFORI is a brand of hand-crafted automobiles inspired by American 1930s coupes. The company is owned by three Australian Lebanese brothers Anthony, George and Gerry Khouri.

In 1986, Gerry Khouri began to build three special sports cars in his garage, one each for the three brothers, which led to the formation of the company. The name "BUFORI" does not have anY essential meaning, but rather stands for B - Beautiful U - Unique F - Fantastic O - Original R - Romantic I - Irresitable.

The BUFORI Motor Car Company Pty. Ltd. is a proprietary company limited by shares and registered in Australia, as is the BUFORI Motor Car Company (M) Sdn. Bhd. in Malaysia.

Originally, all of the manufacturing and sales operations were conducted in Australia, but in 1998 full production moved to new facilities in Kepong, a suburb of Kuala Lumpur, in Malaysia.

The production facility in Kuala Lumpur has an installed capacity of 300 vehicles per year, and the company employs 110 skilled craftsmen. Each unit is built by hand using traditional techniques in a 25 step production process.

The body of a BUFORI is made out of Carbon Fibre and Kevlar composite material, which is light and ultra-strong. Every BUFORI is made to order and can be customised according to the owner's wishes.

The BUFORI stable includes
  • BUFORI Geneva (2010 - present)
  • BUFORI BMS R1 (2009 - present)
  • BUFORI La Joya (2004 – present)
The previous models are
  • BUFORI MK II - Series 1 & Series 2 (1992 - 2003)
  • BUFORI V6i(1992 – 1994)
  • BUFORI MK I (1988 - 1992)
  • BUFORI Madison (1986 - 1988)
And if my hunch is right, they'll soon be available in India. My personal favourite is BMS R1. Not that I can afford it. Hope to see a BUFORI on our roads soon enough. And maybe with a TeamBhp sticker on it.

Old 28th June 2010, 19:06   #2
BHPian

Very interesting. Of course, these being uniquely crafted cars, will have fairly astronomical prices! I'm not so sure there's a market here where brand image counts for more than uniqueness. Still. Very nice retro designs coupled with some fairly powerful engines on offer.
Old 28th June 2010, 20:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!!! This is awesome to hear & Thanks for the pointer. I'm little surprised to see how luxury things can get. Looks like they've 2 model Bufori Geneva & Bufori La Joya. The Geneva's tech spec is looking awesome while the La Joya plonks a QOHC. Frankly I'm hearing this for the first time & I assume its Quad Over Head Camshaft (need to understand how this works)

Geneva has a Electric parking brake to be operated using foot & hearing this for first time again and again the confusing techy terms EVIC, ACC, Sentry Key, LDWS & a built in fire extinguisher (not sure how it works)

La Joya is the one to have the QOHC & 24K gold plated bezzels on instrumentation, 14 way electrically adjustable seats, persian carpets, Sonar systems & all the more bonnet emblem in 24K 99.9% pure Gold (Go to Mumbai)

Seriously, I'm hearing this for the first time & man this seems to be luxurious than Maybach!!!
Old 30th June 2010, 05:09   #4
BHPian

Yes, heard of it in 1999 when it was featured in some program on Indian television. The program featured the car and its American client when he went to Malaysia to receive his car. At that time they mentioned on TV that Bufori stands for something like Bugatti (BU) FO(??) and Ferrari(Ri).

Why do I remember it so distinctly? Because I spent a considerable amount of time naming new car brands after my name 50 years into the future after I saw that program
Old 30th June 2010, 09:55   #5
BANNED

Any pics showing their work.

Good to hear about them, but have never heard so far.
Old 30th June 2010, 10:54   #6
BANNED

I had heard about this brand some time back.

Their official site is www.bufori.com

Some pics of thier models:

Geneva:
Have you heard of BUFORI?-geneva.jpg

La Joya
Have you heard of BUFORI?-lajoya.jpg

V6i
Have you heard of BUFORI?-v6i.jpg

MKII
Have you heard of BUFORI?-mkii.jpg

I find them quirky and Chinese replicas of the Morgan. (Not that I find Morgans beautiful)

Pics above taken from the official link pasted above.

Last edited by Spitfire : 30th June 2010 at 11:00.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

I second Spitfire....Quirky they are.Dunno who would buy them at $110000 almost.They remind me of Beauford Kit cars.Also there was one more Malay company TD2000 building MG TD replicas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks