Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

ACI: Range Rover Evoque Revealed

Land Rover has revealed the production version of the Range Rover Evoque, the new 'baby' model that will go on sale next summer. Unveiled at a party thrown to celebrate the Range Rover brand’s 40th birthday, the production Evoque retains most of the looks of the original LRX concept, which was unveiled as long ago as the Detroit motor show in 2008.
Land Rover hasn't released few technical details, although it has confirmed that the car will be available in two and four-wheel drive, and that some models will emit less than 130g/km of CO2.The Evoque is being described as a "global car"; Land Rover says it will be sold in more than 160 countries. It will be made at Halewood, creating up to 1000 new jobs at the Liverpool facility.
Phil Popham, managing director of Land Rover said, "Range Rover is one of the most highly regarded and iconic vehicles in the history of motoring and has been a continuing success since we first introduced it in 1970. The all-new Range Rover Evoque is an important step for the future continued success and growth of the brand. Customers can be confident that the new car will be premium, luxurious and just as special as the other Range Rover models."
Land Rover's design chief Gerry McGovern said, "This vehicle started as the LRX concept in 2008, and that vehicle was so well received that it was a natural progression for us want to put that into production. This is where the collaboration between our designers and engineers came into play; this car is really a tribute to them."
He added: "It was always our intent to stretch the Range Rover brand to appeal to a bigger audience, and this vehicle will appeal to customers who had never even considered Range Rover before. The design is key to that; it’s like no other Range Rover we’ve seen before, but it’s still unmistakably a Range Rover."McGovern also used the event to 'unveil' a new member of the design team - Victoria Beckham - although he did not outline any specific role for the former singer, who has her own fashion label. Beckham said, "I'm incredibly excited to be collaborating with Range Rover. I'd like to thank Phil and Gerry for such an incredible opportunity. I like to take on a challenge and I'm ready for it."
The switch from the concept’s Land Rover badging to a Range Rover model was a tactical one. It has allowed the firm to keep a more profitable price point on style and exclusivity grounds, without having to offer the rugged practicality associated with the Discovery and Freelander. However, this three-door version is just the start; a five-door variant of the car is also under development.
No prices for the Evoque have been released, but expect four-wheel-drive versions to start at around £35k, for the UK market, with front-drive models following shortly after launch at around £5000 less.

Baby Range Rover revealed | Autocar India
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:01   #2
BHPian

Saw that. Awesome styling. With the world moving towards smaller vehicles, the LRX/Evoque (sounds a lot like Lambo's Estoque) will be a huge success for LR.
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tata would probably do good to take off a few goodies/electronics as well as the LR badge and launch this as a TATA vehicle in India within the 10lakh bracket.

In the process they will keep LR-RR Brand to its own pedestal, atleast in emerging markets such as ours.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:10   #4
EP.
BHPian

Re: ACI: Range Rover Evoque Revealed

Car UK article:
Quote:

Range Rover Evoque prototype (2011) CAR review

Agile, composed, punchy: that’s the verdict after CAR’s first drive of the forthcoming baby Range Rover, the Evoque. Land Rover has finally allowed a handful of journalists into the driving seat, for a couple of laps of the company’s Oxfordshire test course, as the countdown to the Evoque’s September 2011 on-sale date intensifies.

What exactly is this new Range Rover Evoque?
The Evoque takes the Range Rover blueprint of a luxurious, capable 4x4, and shrinks it to a footprint fractionally smaller than the new Ford Focus’s. Whereas the heavy Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models necessitate V6 and V8 power, the Evoque’s compact size and a stringent weight optimisation programme deliver a weight range from 1595 to 1700kg. That means all Evoques can run four-cylinder engines, either a 237bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol or a 2.2-litre common-rail diesel, with 148 or 187bhp peak outputs. Add it all up and you have the most frugal, lowest emission Range Rover in the company’s 41-year history.

Two hatchback bodystyles are available: a five door and a three-door, the latter of which Land Rover is marketing as a coupe. It has a slightly lower roofline and a slightly higher cost, around £1500 more than the five-door’s. Expect prices to kick off around £28,500 for a 150PS diesel five-door; a two-wheel drive eD4 version, reducing CO2 emissions to beneath 130g/km, will cost around £27,500.

Enough preamble: let’s drive!
CAR tested a four-wheel drive Evoque prototype running the high-output diesel, which produces 187bhp and 310lb ft of torque, and returns 50mpg and emits 149g/km of CO2. The six-speed manual’s gearlever is close at hand, perched on the high centre console: Land Rover’s aim was to blend its trademark command driving position with the cockpit feel of a sports car. Imagine sitting in a broken-down TT on the back of a low-loader to get the picture. The gears are closely spaced, and shift with satisfying precision along each channel. Not that we got past fourth on the tight ribbon of tarmac, whose surface quality resembles the moon’s, with an endless supply of craters and bumps which provide the perfect playground for Land Rover’s chassis tuners.

The demonstration drive showcased the Evoque’s Magneride adaptive damping system. Metallic particles in the damper fluid react when a magnetic field is applied, stiffening the damper to tie down body pitch and roll. The computer-controlled system can change the damping force up to 50 times a second; Land Rover claims third-generation Magneride outperforms the standard damping system at both extremes of the dynamic and comfort spectrums. The system is only available with 19- and 20-inch wheels (standard diameter is 17 inches); it’ll be standard on the ‘Dynamic’ trim in the UK, and an £1150 option on ‘Prestige’ models.

What else can you tell me about the new baby Range Rover?
The Evoque’s steering is nicely judged, light and effortless and reminiscent of a Jaguar’s. It doesn’t feel as darty as a Range Rover Sport’s: more measured as you turn off the dead-ahead, then quickening noticeably as you apply increased lock. Variable assistance is from an electric motor, delivering a 2% saving in fuel consumption over a hydraulic system which can’t be disengaged when a helping hand isn’t required.

The common-rail turbodiesel sounds a bit gruff under full throttle, but with a torque curve the shape of Uluru, it hustles the Evoque along eagerly. Land Rover says 0-60mph takes 9.5secs, but it feels a little quicker. Powering up past 40, 50, 60mph along the tight, twisty sections, and the Evoque is kicked in multiple directions by the potholes, but the body’s reaction is crisp and unruffled. And the Evoque is impressively agile, turning sweetly into corners, and hanging on over crests under heavy load, despite the deflections of the rutted tarmac. In terms of its responses, the Evoque feels more like a sorted hatch than a wobbly SUV.

Engage Dynamic mode using the Terrain Response buttons and the dials turn red, and the Evoque feels more tightly lashed down – especially in the back. This is bad news for kids if their dad’s an enthusiastic driver. The steering also feels meatier.

Verdict
All told, it’s a big tick for body control at pace: drive a little less ballistically and the Evoque negotiates ruts smoothly and quietly, though the ride remains on the firm rather than floaty side.

First, brief impressions of the Evoque reveal a composed and nimble 4x4, with real engineering substance beneath that sensationally alluring sheet metal. It’s still on track to be a smash hit.

Statistics
How much? £27,500
On sale in the UK: September 2011
Engine: 2179cc 16v 4-cyl turbodiesel, 187bhp, 310lb ft
Transmission: Six-speed manual, four-wheel drive
Performance: 9.5sec 0-60mph, 124mph, 49.6mpg, 149g/km CO2
How heavy / made of? 1700kg/steel
How big (length/width/height in mm) 4365/1965/1635
Source and more pictures: Range Rover Evoque prototype (2011) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

Last edited by EP. : 1st April 2011 at 09:13.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
2179cc 16v 4cyl CRDI diesel sounds familiar.

It is the same as Tata's CRDI motors serving in Safari & Grande. But, obviously, they have retuned the transmission for better power (187 bhp vrs 140/120 for the Tata SUV/MUV).
Old 2nd April 2011, 06:03   #6
BHPian

The 2197cc engine is the same 2.2 L PSA DW12 which powers the Freelander 2, me thinks.
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
The 2197cc engine is the same 2.2 L PSA DW12 which powers the Freelander 2, me thinks.
^^ It's 2179 not 2197, which got me thinking.

I could be wrong though, but, just pointed out the similarities. Moreover, Ford is still supplying engines tech to LR for some time as per the sale deal. I am bit confused here...
Old 2nd April 2011, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

I could be wrong though, but, just pointed out the similarities. Moreover, Ford is still supplying engines tech to LR for some time as per the sale deal. I am bit confused here...
Freelander 2 has two engines ED4 which is 2179 c, this came in the 2011 models with 2wd. I wasn't aware of this one. The other is the Ford engine TD4 which is 2197 cc, been used since long by Land Rover.

Unusual to have Tata engine powering a Land Rover.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:37   #9
BHPian

The same engine is used by the MAHINDRA SCORPIO too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

I agree with this point that it's 2179 not 2197.

Last edited by Stratos : 7th April 2011 at 12:19.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
The same engine is used by the MAHINDRA SCORPIO too!
^^ But, why would M&M offer engine tech to brand owned by arch rivals. Anyway, I was just point out the similarity in the engine displacement (guess, being a CA, matching figures is part of my profession).
Old 7th April 2011, 15:43   #11
BHPian

The engine was Designed by AVL in Austria. Don't know, both tata and mahindra would have used it but with different power output and tuning.
Old 27th January 2012, 08:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

A jolt for Evoque - Consumer reports!

"Consumer report recently brought the BMW X3 and RR Evoque together for a head-to-head matchup. The BMW X3 came out on top with a score of 80, while the Evoque only received a score of 60. CR applauded the X3 for being sportier on the road than most SUVs and its 22 mpg overall rating that was made possible by its new eight-speed automatic. CR gave the Evoque negative marks for its cramped cabin, stiff ride and artificial-feeling steering"

BMW X3 Trumps the Range Rover Evoque in Consumer Reports Match Up (The Torque Report)
Old 27th January 2012, 09:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

I went to the JLR showroom for a TD of the Freelander 2...that was awesome, tried getting into an evoque and what do you know !!!! On the outside it looks great, but I could not even get in easily, given my 6'1" frame, finally I managed to squeeze in but then there was no way that any adult could sit in the rear.

So to me - all in all it is pretty much 2 adult + 2 kids car. Rejected outrightly. The Freelander ofcourse is another story - BRILLIANT, though does not fit my budget.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2012, 19:55   #14
BHPian

I was quite excited for this car but when I saw at the dealership I got highly dissapointed by short length of it which makes it look like a very wide and tall hatchback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks