Team-BHP - How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/87297-how-morgan-cars-made-out-wood.html)

Interesting Morgan Car Manufacturing pictures.

The Morgan Motor Company located in Britain doesn’t change in a changing world. Not only it is still independent, but it also makes each car by hand. A base model is about $44,000, but some cars cost up to $300,000. And people wait for over a year to get their exclusive hand-built cars with the shell made out of metal and much of the vehicle made out of wood. Working on the wood interior, workers use metal shears to individually shape a hood because each car has to be different. Every year Morgan produces about 600 cars. The company will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2011. It has a long interesting history, because it is still run by the same family: the Morgans. Founded by Henry Frederick Stanley Morgan known as “HFS”, it was then ran by his son Peter, and now it is run by Charles, the son of Peter Morgan.

Source: How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood (24 pics) Izismile - Pictures, videos, games and more

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_01.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_02.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_03.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_04.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_05.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_06.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_07.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_08.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_09.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_10.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_11.jpg

Name:  how_morgan_cars_640_12.jpg
Views: 3123
Size:  48.4 KB

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_13.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_14.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_15.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_16.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_17.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_18.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_19.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_20.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_21.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_22.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_23.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-how_morgan_cars_640_24.jpg

Cheers!

Trust me, when I started off with the first pic, I was thinking "yuck", but the last one beats the beauty of Jag. I wonder how the vibrations are controlled, ABS/EBD's are installed. I wonder what's the meaning of
Quote:

with the shell made out of metal
AND
Quote:

metal shears to individually shape a hood

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

if it is made out of wood, then isnt there chances of water destroying the car ? damages due to accidents on the road and also some hard jerks, will it be strong to withstand the cruel forces on the road and environment ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanwaramit (Post 2032560)
if it is made out of wood, then isnt there chances of water destroying the car ? damages due to accidents on the road and also some hard jerks, will it be strong to withstand the cruel forces on the road and environment ?

Only the Frame is wood and the rest is metal. And yes the water does destroy it after prolonged exposure.

Guys!!!!!

Its true the Morgans chassis are made of wood. But the last four pictures are of the lastest Morgan [to just clarify, the headlamps in the last four pics are xenons. This is the latest version. somewhere in the pics above the last four you will find a picture of a morgan with normal headlamps, thats the old one] has a monoque suspension. No more wood. This is because according to Jason Plato, the ride was extremely harsh and absolutely rubbish.

To know more, download the 9 instalment of Fifth Gears latest season which concluded about a week a ago. They have a roadtest of the latest Morgan shown in the last four pictures!

@vintagepoint5- you seemed to have mixed and matched the pictures of production of both the old and new models. This can create confusions.

Hi scuderiamania, I did not mixed and match the pictures, this is what posted on the source link site, may be it is mixed on that site. Morgan have different models and so the design inside also may not be wooden for fastest cars, more details can be seen Morgan own site.

The Morgan is a car which you can drive by pure 'feel' First you squeeze yourself inside and then you are part of the car. On open country roads, it is amazing. Have only these pics for for now. Will edit a few more without our mugshots! ;-)

Cheers!

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-4802_111906559467_744144467_2826906_6787963_n.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-4802_111910264467_744144467_2827046_2091722_n.jpg

You guys might be interested in checking this thread out as well :

Tutu Dhawan's hand built Morgan

cya
R

Is it just me or does it seem like the Driver side headlight is smaller than the other by quite a margin in the last picture ( 1st post ). Even the curves in the body forming the cowl doesn't seem neutral on both sides. Is this part of the design or are my eyes playing games?

Quote:

Originally Posted by absynthguzzler (Post 2059785)
Is it just me or does it seem like the Driver side headlight is smaller than the other by quite a margin in the last picture ( 1st post ). Even the curves in the body forming the cowl doesn't seem neutral on both sides. Is this part of the design or are my eyes playing games?

Check the 3rd last pic! :D Is this some kind of camera issue or what?

^^

I think they are same size. We feel it is of different size due to the plane headlamps are mounted. You may see the same difference if the picture is taken from other side (left).

Here is a delicious Morgan I saw in Hillerod, Denmark a couple of days ago.

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-image260713534.jpg

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-image1220178607.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2031714)
I wonder what's the meaning of
Quote:

metal shears to individually shape a hood

Metal shears = a tool used to cut sheet metal.

Name:  6615.gif
Views: 4593
Size:  28.9 KB
Source

How Morgan Cars Are Made Out of Wood-sd7_universal_shear.jpg
Source

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3255428)
Metal shears = a tool used to cut sheet metal.

cya
R

The Draco is quite interesting tool; till date I was assuming that angle grinder was the only took to cut woods, but this one seems to be a real good option; even better than the plyers.