Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 23:41   #1
BHPian

Buying a Car in Australia

Hi All,

My best friend is moving into melbourne and is planning for a daily driver which is also good for the occasional track day
Given the access to all sorts of sporty cars in the land down under, he is now completely confused!

Price Range - 40-45k AUD
He started out with Honda Civic type R (Official Honda Civic Type R Site | Home) which is onroad at 40k aud. The car handles well, revs all the way to 8k rpm, and it seems has lsd. But no turbo and all wheel drive.

At similar prices, he could get the Subaru WRX (Subaru - Subaru Australia) which has a whooping 2.5 ltr turbo charged engine and all wheel drive.

Lastly there is the VW Golf GTI (Volkswagen Golf > Model Variants > Volkswagen Golf > Golf Index > New Car Models > Volkswagen Australia) in this price range, with DSG.

Stretch Price Range 57-75k AUD
At 57k aud, is the VW Golf R (2.0) with oodles of power (New Golf R > Model Variants > Volkswagen Golf > Golf Index > New Car Models > Volkswagen Australia)

Then come the Subaru WRI STI and STI Spec R (Showroom - Subaru STI Australia) for 67k to 74k AUD.

At 76K AUD is the Nissan 370Z (Nissan 370Z: Prices, Parts, Accessories, Photos, Specifications)!! and lastly Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (Lancer Evolution | Defy Physics) for 67k to 73k AUD.

Oh and also the Lotus Elise (:: Lotus Cars Australia :: Change the rules ::).

To give you a perspective on prices, a non sporty car like a full spec'd toyota corrola costs 25k AUD there. This is the car with the best A.S.S and highest reliability.

Now given these choices, who wouldn't be confused and excited He is now looking for some advice on what would be the best car in each of the above two price ranges. Then its just a matter of deciding on mind vs heart i.e. whether to stretch the budget from 40k to 70k :-)

Any inputs on above cars as well as any other suggestions are welcome!

(Note - use area code 3051/victoria to check prices on above websites
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:08   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Daily Drive + Track Tool : Mitsubishi EVO X. Your best friend's so obviously a car guy, tell him to stretch his budget and settle for the best. The EVO is the most accomplished machine of all the cars listed in your post. Practical enough to be a daily driver, power / grip / brakes that make it a killer track tool. Best part is, the after-market support in Australia is aplenty if & when he wants to soup her up. This is as close to super car performance that you get with 4 doors. Sure, the X isn't as extreme as the VIII, but its better suited for daily use.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:03   #3
BHPian

Ask him to check out the 6.0L Holden Commodore or the Ford Falcon XR6 turbo or if budget permits HSV(Holden Special Vehicle) or FPV(Ford Performance Vehicle).One of the best cars in my opinion,true aussie modern day muscle cars and great VFM.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Daily Drive + Track Tool : Mitsubishi EVO X. Your best friend's so obviously a car guy, tell him to stretch his budget and settle for the best. The EVO is the most accomplished machine of all the cars listed in your post. Practical enough to be a daily driver, power / grip / brakes that make it a killer track tool. Best part is, the after-market support in Australia is aplenty if & when he wants to soup her up. This is as close to super car performance that you get with 4 doors. Sure, the X isn't as extreme as the VIII, but its better suited for daily use.
That was my first thought as well Looks really tasty from the specs here http://www.lancerevolution.com.au/do...P_Brochure.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Ask him to check out the 6.0L Holden Commodore or the Ford Falcon XR6 turbo or if budget permits HSV(Holden Special Vehicle) or FPV(Ford Performance Vehicle).One of the best cars in my opinion,true aussie modern day muscle cars and great VFM.
Aah more options - all I could think of in this league was vauxhal vxr8 which was once reviewed in top gear, not sure if thats the same as the holden 6L
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Look at the HSV or the FPV depending upon the brand preference. Great thrills for not soo much money.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:09   #6
BHPian

Yup, thats the old 6.0l one.This video has got the latest 6.2l version.

Honestly in the track scene here in Oz land its either a Ford or Holden,no japs mate!
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:56   #7
BHPian

^^ aah i found it - was looking on holden site and not hsv :-) Holden Special Vehicles - I Just Want One

Here is a nice comparo of the EVO X and Vauxhall VXR8
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/...x_vs_vxr8.html
Verdict -> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...bishi_evo.html

Last edited by jassi : 23rd September 2010 at 00:09.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:25   #8
BHPian

well having lived in melbourne for a fair few years (8 years 2000-2007) my advice would be to go for a FWD honda Integra, Renault megane cup, Ford focus ST, Holden Astra VRX or golf GTI IF he is not experienced as a race driver. i have driven my friends old model integra and it is an absolutely fantastic car to learn racing in. its very forgiving while driving hard and being a FWD car its a lot easier to handle it around a race track. Also they should cost below A$ 45,000 . The parts are reasonably priced and easy to find. Plus the insurance, registration and normal servicing wont burn your pocket.

If he is experienced then he can go for bigger cars like the subaru WRX. But The STi or the evo X in my opinion is a little too extreme to be used as a car u drive daily. Plus the servicing, insurance and registration costs on these cars will be quite high. But if he does not mind the extra costs then good on him and go for it!

Another option is trying out the locally made for australia products, the Holden commodore or the ford falcon. They both have sporty versions with V8 engines and are really powerful and fun to drive. The insurance, registration and cost of parts are quite reasonable for these local made products. But mind you these cars are quite bulky and very powerful so handling is an issue. you need to be extra careful as it is so easy to get the tail out, even while doing a simple u-turn.

The lotus elise is not recommended in my opinion as the suspension is just too hard for daily use and the in cabin noise is quite high. u cant even hear the stereo. But on track u wont find another car that gives u more bang for your buck than this one.

If only 2 seats is acceptable then the Nissan 350z is a fantastic choice but i think it is a little more expensive.

Also how will he be getting his license?

The process of getting a licence is as follows :

Sitting for his drivers test, then getting a victoria learners license (6 months validity, and has to be accompanied by a full license individual in the passenger seat while driving)

Then after 6 mths he gets his probationary license (3years validity)

Then after that his full license.

or he can take his indian license and then getting a probationaly license straight away.

The amount of insurance you pay varies at which stage you are at with your license, and the difference in the insurance premium could be vast! So my advice to your friend is to not just look at the car prices but also get an online quote of the (comphrensive) insurance of the car along with the yearly cost of registration.

check out the following links to get a system generated insurance quote:

the two big and well known insurers are

Car insurance Victoria - Car insurance, home insurance, travel, accommodation - RACV

Car Insurance Australia - AAMI Car Insurance Quotes - CTP Insurance - AAMI

My insurer was AAMI. If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy motoring
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion:

A Mini Cooper: John Cooper Works edition!

Looks seriously awesome, stands out and is of great quality!
Besides it really takes off - here are the specs:

211 HP, 1.6L
0-100 in 6.5s
Top Speed 238km/h
Few mods and you can shave the time to 6.Xs

Drive away price: $54,194.10

A fantastic choice IMO, a hot hatch like this one would be great fun!

Check the official website out: MINI Australia > MODEL RANGE > MINI John Cooper Works > MINI John Cooper Works

PS: The mini has really cool interiors

Last edited by anekho : 23rd September 2010 at 00:28.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:36   #10
BHPian

@amrisharm - thanks for the detailed excellent advice buddy! My friend has not got much experience with sports cars, he has driven on track days a couple of times, but in completely normal cars like corollas or regular civics. as far as the license goes, i think he will be using his india license to get to a probationary license :-)

@anekho - the mini is a good idea, but on my trip there last week, I noticed too many minis! also none of the trickery of all wheel drive, etc - but yeah worth considering in the john cooper avatar :-)
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
@amrisharm - thanks for the detailed excellent advice buddy! My friend has not got much experience with sports cars, he has driven on track days a couple of times, but in completely normal cars like corollas or regular civics. as far as the license goes, i think he will be using his india license to get to a probationary license :-)

@anekho - the mini is a good idea, but on my trip there last week, I noticed too many minis! also none of the trickery of all wheel drive, etc - but yeah worth considering in the john cooper avatar :-)
Jassi what is the duration of your friends stay there. The Indian license is valid for 6months if your a student and then you have to get an ausie one. I am talking about when i was studying there. There is nothing as a probationary license bro. He has to get a learners give a test both written and driven and then get a normal license.

The best cars there would be Honda, Holden, ford and toyota. Do ask hime to get the second hand car books, that would have good deals for cars.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Jassi what is the duration of your friends stay there. The Indian license is valid for 6months if your a student and then you have to get an ausie one. I am talking about when i was studying there. There is nothing as a probationary license bro. He has to get a learners give a test both written and driven and then get a normal license.

The best cars there would be Honda, Holden, ford and toyota. Do ask hime to get the second hand car books, that would have good deals for cars.

In victoria Australia, there are 3 stages in getting a licence:

1) learners where it is valid for 6 months and you are not allowed to drive alone at any time and you have to display a yellow "L" at the front and rear, then

2) (P) or probationary which is valid for 3 years, where you are allowed to drive alone but you should have an alcohol reading of 0.00 when tested by the mobile police at all times and also you have to display a red "P" at the front and back of your car.

3) after 3 years of probationary driving you get your full licence. you are allowed to drive and have an alcohol reading of .05 (back in 2007).

There are a few other limitations on the "P" licence, like while renting cars and all but its too detailed and will let u know if required.

So speedy which state were u in? i was in melbourne, victoria, at Monash university. did my bachelors and masters (in business) there.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
... There is nothing as a probationary license bro.
Not sure about other states but as far as Victoria is concerned there IS a probationary license. It's the next stage after the learner's (L) license, and only after 3 years on probationary license you can get a full or permanent license. There is a shortcut however - if you have a permanent Indian license which was issued more than three years ago, then you will be granted a permanent license directly after a learner's license (this does not happen automatically, you need to show your Indian license to the authorities / VICROADS). I am telling this from my own experience in year 2002.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:30   #14
BHPian

^^ speedy - he is moving there as a permanent resident and so duration in forever :-)
Old 24th September 2010, 12:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
So speedy which state were u in? i was in melbourne, victoria, at Monash university. did my bachelors and masters (in business) there.
Same place but in RMIT Brunswick campus for Textile technology and Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
There is a shortcut however - if you have a permanent Indian license which was issued more than three years ago, then you will be granted a permanent license directly after a learner's license (this does not happen automatically, you need to show your Indian license to the authorities / VICROADS). I am telling this from my own experience in year 2002.
I guess thats how we got our License. We just had our learners and then a perminent license. I dont even know where mine is now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks