Team-BHP - First pics: India bound '11 VW passat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   First pics: India bound '11 VW passat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/89745-first-pics-india-bound-11-vw-passat.html)

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on The VW Passat Review Thread.

This thread is closed.

Article and pics from carscoop

Quote:

Well, for one thing, it's actually labeled a seventh-generation model even though it's clearly B6-derived. In its defense, VW says "every body panel apart from the roof is new".
Said new panels extend the car by 4 millimeters (4,769 mm for sedan, 4,771 mm Estate), while the width and height remain the same at 1,820 mm and 1,474 mm, respectively.
Up front, the nose gets a more attractive grille / headlight treatment and is more in-line with VW's current styling. On the outer edges of the new, chromey grille reside LED running lights. At the rear, the tail lights get chrome accents and blend nicely with the sharper lines of VW's family saloon.
Passengers get heated/cooled seats that can also provide massages if consumers are willing to go lux. In order to make the Passat more of a flagship along the lines of the Phaeton VW has added a few new touches: inside the revised dash there are new dials, trim and even an analogue clock (you stay classy, V-Dub). Other than that, the rest of the interior gets the usual minor updates.

At the bottom of the diesel engine pack is a BlueMotion 1.6-liter TDI which makes 105 horses; it also gets greener (or bluer) thanks to battery regeneration and a start/stop system. If equipped with this engine, the Passat can return up to 68.8 mpg ("a theoretical range of over 1,000 miles on a single tank") while emitting 109 grams of CO2 per kilometer. Above the 1.6 there are two 2.0-liter units making 140 and 170 horsepower.
The gasoline engine lineup includes a 1.4-liter TSI (122 hp), a 1.8-liter TSI (160 hp), a 2.0-liter TSI (210 hp), and the top-of-the-mountain 3.6-liter V6 (300 hp). Frankly, VW should get that 2.0T to put out a little more oomph, because the gasoline lineup is seriously unbalanced with a 90-horsepower gap between the high-output four-banger and the V6.
Transmissions will be clutch-run manuals and DSGs across the range, and an XDS electronic differential makes it first appearance on the Passat (300 ponies to the front wheels will do that).
Safety systems include a (hopefully better than Volvo) auto-brake system as part of the car's Automatic Distance Control which applies the brakes at 18 mph or below should you or a pedestrian be a little careless. And get this: "The system is also able to accelerate the vehicle automatically should it detect an imminent rear end collision providing the vehicle sees a clear space ahead. " There's also an optional "you're too tired to drive" warning system.
Deliveries should begin early 2011, while pricing is going to be announced in the next few months.

Sid, your are the man.

Beautiful & Very nice looking car, though the front looks like a grown up Polo.

One of the best steering wheels i have seen, and also a clean looking dash.

On second look, I love the DASH. very very classy. Add to it the classic Analog Watch.
Everything in the Dash makes me want to be in it.

Looks like a stretched Vento and tail lamp reminds me of Skoda superb. But good work done on interior, pretty decently executed job.

Nice details and pictures.
However, I have just one question here - How can you say this is 'India bound' ?

If there is no confirmed news, rather than speculating - this should be in the International section of the forum.

Even if this is India bound in the future, I don't see more than 2 engine options on offer here. The 1.8 TSi and the 1.6 TDi engines that are currently doing duty in the Laura Petrol and Vento D respectively might be just plonked into the new Indian Passat. We have kind of gotten used to such offerings here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigbarai (Post 2088993)
Nice details and pictures.
However, I have just one question here - How can you say this is 'India bound' ?

If there is no confirmed news, rather than speculating - this should be in the International section of the forum.

Well it's pretty much confirmed considering India now is one of the top priorities for all auto makers and if they want a good run and be competitive enough then offering the latest product is extremely important, also do remember since the volumes in India are quite low at the moment most components are imported and would not make sense for a carmaker like VW to have the old and new selling side by side.

On a side note, anyone else besides me think the side and the interior are way to close to the existing Passat? I guess this is the new VW strategy to save costs? Use basic underpinnings and just change the sheet metal etc and enhance the car rather then create a whole new car?

Also the new Toureg and the Jetta should also soon be on our shores as those cars were launched some time back now?

Regards,

Spotted the Passat CC Blue motion with temp plates this morning around Baner. Is this also headed to India?

Unless they plan to keep making the older version just for India, the new Passat is definitely India bound. Outside perhaps of China, the Passat is only made in two factories in Germany (I believe Emden and Mosel).

BTW, this Passat is not really new, but just a refresh. A few body panels have been changed in the front and rear, but the the engines, interior dimensions are basically identical. Even the interior is pretty much the same, except for some trim changes. The real big change will happen around 2013.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S350L-E240 (Post 2089015)
Well it's pretty much confirmed considering India now is one of the top priorities for all auto makers and if they want a good run and be competitive enough then offering the latest product is extremely important, also do remember since the volumes in India are quite low at the moment most components are imported and would not make sense for a carmaker like VW to have the old and new selling side by side.

On a side note, anyone else besides me think the side and the interior are way to close to the existing Passat? I guess this is the new VW strategy to save costs? Use basic underpinnings and just change the sheet metal etc and enhance the car rather then create a whole new car?

Also the new Toureg and the Jetta should also soon be on our shores as those cars were launched some time back now?

Regards,

Again, it is merely speculating and assuming, than fact.
There are countless cars and 'new versions' in the VW stable which have not made it to indian shores (even tho they are playing big in India).

Lets not even get into the engine options in the current models. Their TSi engines, VRs engines find their way in almost all models in the international markets - not so much in India.

They would offer a product which would work in the Indian market given the cost sensitivity, and not really think of launching all their 'new' models/versions out here.

If I were to assume, i'd atleast look at a 1-2 yr gap, if not more, for a product to get India bound after it is officially launched in their base market. There is a whole lot of customization required to be done - primarily LHD/RHD, on a mass scale.

Will this Passat come to India? Yes and it is no speculation, how long it takes depends on how soon the manufacturer wants to get it to India, and no in todays time it does not need over a year for the localisation at least not for a car like the Passat, which in this country sells far less then a BMW 5 / Mercedes E.

A lot of those countless cars may at some time make it to India and those not relevant will not but we're talking about the Passat here which is an important segment for VW and currently they are not really breaking the barrier with the existing model so believe me they will try push this in sooner.

Coming to engines, I believe until now VW was more focused on their mass sellers (Polo & Vento) and the other cars were mainly launched more for brand building or some with less effort, did you see such ad's for the Jetta or Passat when they were launched? No! but now that they are done with the Polo & Vento I believe they will have better focus on launching the new Jetta and the Passat and this time around since both the cars wil have some years of lifecycle in them it sure makes a lot more sense to launch them quick and start getting more competitive in the C+ and the D segment. TSi etc. will all make it into India, they are new here and I believe a lot of their engines are already in use by Audi / Skoda so it's only a matter of time and correct me if I am wrong but the current Passat in India is sold with a TSi engine.

This Passat though by no means a bad looker, I find the CC a lot more attractive and sexy looking. I agree with statements made before that this seems like a heavy visual upgrade and the REAL change seems a few years down the line

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo (Post 2089070)
This Passat though by no means a bad looker, I find the CC a lot more attractive and sexy looking. I agree with statements made before that this seems like a heavy visual upgrade and the REAL change seems a few years down the line

>>>

ACI October edition, in its section on new cars headed to India in 2011, talks of the new for 2011 Passat at Rs 19.5 lacs (2.0 litre CRDI engine with 140 bhp plus petrol ones) and the Passat CC at Rs 30 lacs (including a 3.0 litre V6 CRDI developing 300 bhp). [I am recalling from memory so I might err a bit on engine specs].

That section also talks of the Audi A7 Sportback at Rs 57.xy lacs and the all new Volvo S60 with two oil burners ( 2.0 litre and a 2.4 litre with 202 bhp developing 420+Nm of torque). Now that 2.4 litre engine should be something. The price range of the S60 is Rs 29.xy- 41.ab lacs.

Regards, drive safe

There are very few car experiences which have been etched in my memory.

First one was a mercedez-Benz, it was during my first trip to Germany about 10 years back, on getting out of the airport I hailed a cab & it was Mercedez!! I could not believe, coming out of India where Auto rickshaws & Padmini were ruling the roost in Taxi. So it was like "Saala mei to sahaab ban gaya"!! I can close my eyes and recollect this experience even today.

Second one was Passat: This was in South Africa about 5 years back, one of my acquaintances sent a Passat to pick me up, I sat and couldn't believe the lushness of the seats, just like being cradled in a cloud. It was better than my home lounger!! The comfort was better than any car I had ever experienced till today. (Although I've not sat again in a Passat, fearing either VW might have changed or I might end paying hefty EMI's for Passat in my Garage.

The rear looks exactly like a Phaeton.Personally this entire generalizing of the VW line up is getting a bit too tiring.A little dash of lines and bit of design uniqueness would be welcome.Somehow i think skoda is doing a better job in designing their cars than VW.

@S350L agree with you.Almost all manufacturers launch D+ segment cars just to boost their brand image.Which is a pity because they have a misconception that these cars wont sell much anyway so whats the point in promoting them.Just launch/refresh them once in a while to keep the company in the news.However i believe there is definately a market for expensive cars,you just have to offer something that the consumer wants and they will pay for it.For that requires a bit of hard work and studying and not just blindly launching a car and slapping a price tag.A case in point Fortuner and Superb.20L plus cars and there are still people lining up to buy them,because their makers took this market seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by issigonis (Post 2089120)
>>>
ACI October edition, in its section on new cars headed to India in 2011, talks of the new for 2011 Passat at Rs 19.5 lacs (2.0 litre CRDI engine with 140 bhp plus petrol ones) and the Passat CC at Rs 30 lacs (including a 3.0 litre V6 CRDI developing 300 bhp). [I am recalling from memory so I might err a bit on engine specs].
That section also talks of the Audi A7 Sportback at Rs 57.xy lacs and the all new Volvo S60 with two oil burners ( 2.0 litre and a 2.4 litre with 202 bhp developing 420+Nm of torque). Now that 2.4 litre engine should be something. The price range of the S60 is Rs 29.xy- 41.ab lacs.
Regards, drive safe

Am quite sure that the 3.0 Litre Passat CC engine you mentioned is a petrol ,not an oil burner. 300bhp ?? If i am not mistaken its rated at 265hp.

:Shockked: A7 sport back at 57 ex showroom ????? WOW i expected a lot more ( say 70 for the 4.2 TDi )
:OT I love the A7 for its looks and it is definitely on radar as 1 of the future targets. From point of view of pricing that i expected, 57 ( maybe for 3.0 TDI ) is very good IMO.
An A7 with that 350ps 700 odd NM torque V8 oilburner. My my....how badly would i want that !