Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

View Poll Results: Who are the better Designers ? Italians or British
Italians 94 83.93%
British 18 16.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 17:11   #16
BHPian

Most of the car which are on a road now a days are designed at Italian Design Houses, but I think that both the Italian & British designs should not compared with each other as the Italian designs are much sporty where as British designs are classic.
I will preferably vote for Italian designs only.
My choice:
Italians - Design,
British - Better engineering.
Old 7th October 2010, 08:35   #17
BHPian

Frankly, although the Italians may churn out more good looking models than the Brits, it is partly because they house more exotic brands (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Lancia, Alfa etc.) But then, they can also make Fiat's look good. And they can also screw up certain designs (Alfa Mito, anyone?).

I guess it comes down to personal preference. Any country or company can make a good looking car, in any segment. And good looking cars will keep coming, in the future too.

As they can, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 7th October 2010, 08:50   #18
BANNED

British without a doubt!
Old 7th October 2010, 09:04   #19
BHPian

Italians definitely! They are just better.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

the brits couldn't design something if their life depended on it
Old 7th October 2010, 11:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It's perfectly alright to say that the Italians are better and a completely different thing to say what you just did. There are quite a few British cars that have stood the test of time better than their Italian brethren.

I am curious and would request you to share your insight (unless of course, it was sarcastic to begin with ).
Old 7th October 2010, 11:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
It's perfectly alright to say that the Italians are better and a completely different thing to say what you just did. There are quite a few British cars that have stood the test of time better than their Italian brethren.

I am curious and would request you to share your insight (unless of course, it was sarcastic to begin with ).

Look at what happened to their auto industry, current state speaks for itself.

Had they been able to do a better job in designing great cars they would have ben up there with the Italians.

There great classic designs of the fifties sixties petered out in th seventies and eighties and died out completely and took some real nice brands out too.

I can't recollect any really nice cars that came out of the UK in the past thirty years that have stood the test of time ? Can you ?

Last edited by wasif : 7th October 2010 at 11:42.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at what happened to their auto industry, current state speaks for itself.

Had they been able to do a better job in designing great cars they would have ben up there with the Italians.

There great classic designs of the fifties sixties petered out in the seventies and eighties and died out completely and took some real nice brands out too.

I can't recollect any really nice cars that came out of the UK in the past thirty years that have stood the test of time ? Can you ?
I'll be cautious here and first say that I'd thought that your reply was all encompassing (and not restricted to the last 30 years, but I do see where you are coming from).
I do think that the Aston's have been really stellar designs in the past couple of decades, but I guess by British you want something 100% British (as in not owned by Tata/Ford/Volkswagen/BMW etc.)?
Old 7th October 2010, 12:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I'll be cautious here and first say that I'd thought that your reply was all encompassing (and not restricted to the last 30 years, but I do see where you are coming from).
I do think that the Aston's have been really stellar designs in the past couple of decades, but I guess by British you want something 100% British (as in not owned by Tata/Ford/Volkswagen/BMW etc.)?
Exactly Amartya.

The only interesting designs that have come out in the recent past would be the TVR cars but that too of late cant be qualified as British anymore.

Admited the Brits had a good thing going, loved the Healeys and MGB the Triumph TR series and the XK Jags but I am sure you can see it is a bit dried up as of now.

Italians on the other hand have the passion adn it shows in their designs and cars which are still at the cuttting edge, forever pushing the envelope.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please back it up with some substance instead of writing 1 liners.

From the ipod to concorde...all British.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Please back it up with some substance instead of writing 1 liners.

From the ipod to concorde...all British.
Please read the three posts between that and this one should be clear to you.

since when did the I Pod qualify as a British design ? Because one of the design team happened to be british ? and Concorde again all British design ?

also why dont you look at the poll results !!!! should be clear to you

Last edited by wasif : 7th October 2010 at 12:21.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

The poll can be answered without even reading further on this thread. Italians!
I can understand who will vote otherwise

Last edited by clevermax : 7th October 2010 at 12:49.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read the three posts between that and this one should be clear to you.

since when did the I Pod qualify as a British design ? Because one of the design team happened to be british ? and Concorde again all British design ?

also why dont you look at the poll results !!!! should be clear to you
Do some research and you will learn about where the ipod came from. Most the NASA engineering was also from the abandoned British Space setup.

Concorde...I know several people who designed bits and pieces for it and I can assure you most the work was British.

I also suggest you go and google about British innovation/design and look at the stats. Even though the population is only 60million the country still churns out a very large % of new design/innovation every year. So to write 'the brits couldn't design something if their life depended on it' is just a pure attention seeking statement.

Last post on this so write whatever you want but at least have the nouse to back up your statements with fact.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Do some research and you will learn about where the ipod came from. Most the NASA engineering was also from the abandoned British Space setup.

Concorde...I know several people who designed bits and pieces for it and I can assure you most the work was British.

I also suggest you go and google about British innovation/design and look at the stats. Even though the population is only 60million the country still churns out a very large % of new design/innovation every year. So to write 'the brits couldn't design something if their life depended on it' is just a pure attention seeking statement.

Last post on this so write whatever you want but at least have the nouse to back up your statements with fact.
I am not sure what makes you think the I pod was a British design

The design team was headed by Jon Rubinstein an American engineer. The team included Tony Fadell a Lebanese American engineer and Michael Dhuey who is also American. The presense of ONE British designer on teh team, Jonathan Ive , doen't make the product British does it. And even them he was working for a US company so the design is arguably a US product.

You might know British people who designed bits and bobs for the Concorde but in all truth it was a British AND French product so lets not forget the French hand in it.

They might have had a leading edge in engineering and design way back but as of today its the Italians that dominate car design as they have done in the past.

This thread is discussing car design so your Concorde and I pod theories and your other points are not relevent.

Do try to keep the discussion focussed on the subject in hand.

I wonder why you are reacting in such a hostile manner.

I hope my statmenst are sufficiently backed up for you !

Either way your opinion is not rlelevnt as the poll results will demonstrate to you

Last edited by wasif : 7th October 2010 at 13:20.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

If you are talking about car looks, then definitely the Italians. I prefer Monic Bellucci to Lucy Pinder and a Maserati to a Jaguar. Though both look gorgeous.

Most Viewed