Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 13:55   #16
BHPian

@Jazz. It is the same in US. Although they can add you as an additional driver authorised to drive the vehicle. But on an International Driving permit it is difficult. If you have an US license it is more easier. It is more for the immediate relatives also. Check with Students community there as they usually pool money and buy a car and so they might know what the process is.

When i was in US - In early 2001-04 I had an US license even though i was only on a visit visa so i could be added to my company's car fleet insurance. At that time it was not necessary to have a Social Security number and i could do a personal declaration. I dont think it is the case any more

Last edited by sreedotk : 26th October 2010 at 13:56.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:18   #17
BHPian

@ Jazz

In reference to your UK question, the easy answer is NO.
It's note really possible for visitors to drive relative/friends cars in UK while on short visits.
Most insurance companies either flatly refuse to quote additional foreign licence holders or quote an increased premium of many multiples (2 - 3 times original premium), in effect discouraging you from taking out the insurance.

For US, I have no idea, but 'sreedotk' has answered the question very well.
Old 26th October 2010, 21:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

there was an episode of top gear on the same issue. Three of them try to insure a car for their children or something on the phone.

forgot the exact episode number
Old 27th October 2010, 19:06   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
@ Raja, whatever you mentioned, is it applicable in US of A too?
It's relatively simpler in the States. The first quote I got for my $3,200 car was $1,700 p.a. for insurance premium! Produced a 65% NCB certificate from my Indian insurer and the premium dropped to $700 (IIRC). Still expensive considering the car's worth, but the best they could do is split it up into a monthly payment.
Old 28th October 2010, 09:54   #20
BANNED

if there are multiple drivers on a license then the Premium is based on the most expensive driver to insure. In this case an IDP/Foreign License is treated at par with a learners license + there will be age loading (for those under 25). I insured my cars in the UK from 1973 to 76, had a full NCB from India which I could transfer. The Premium went down every year simple Year 1 (foreign license + age 21), second year (fresh UK license + higher age), and so on.

Person based insurance has advantages as well, if you get a second car then there is the NCB there immediately.
Old 20th November 2010, 00:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
@Jazz. It is the same in US. Although they can add you as an additional driver authorised to drive the vehicle. But on an International Driving permit it is difficult. If you have an US license it is more easier. It is more for the immediate relatives also. Check with Students community there as they usually pool money and buy a car and so they might know what the process is.

When i was in US - In early 2001-04 I had an US license even though i was only on a visit visa so i could be added to my company's car fleet insurance. At that time it was not necessary to have a Social Security number and i could do a personal declaration. I dont think it is the case any more

Thanks, I guess you've cleared my doubts. I will scout for Students community. 'Cause, this time I'm planning for a 3 months stay in US. Getting a US license is also ruled out as you'd mentioned - Social Security No. is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
@ Jazz

In reference to your UK question, the easy answer is NO.
It's note really possible for visitors to drive relative/friends cars in UK while on short visits.
Most insurance companies either flatly refuse to quote additional foreign licence holders or quote an increased premium of many multiples (2 - 3 times original premium), in effect discouraging you from taking out the insurance.

For US, I have no idea, but 'sreedotk' has answered the question very well.
Thank you very much, even though your answer was negative. I paid close to 13 pounds a day as Insurance along with my hired Car. And that was an additional amount to keep my liability to as low as 100 pounds in case of an accident. I don't know the normal Insurance amount charged, since it was included in the overall hire charges for the Car.

Last edited by jaaz : 20th November 2010 at 00:02.

Most Viewed