Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:41   #1
BHPian

Death of Rover feat. Tata Indica

I found part of a documentary about the death of MG Rover which specifically deals with the final days of the company. And the Indica makes an appearance, in a non-flattering way of course..

Old 3rd November 2010, 16:08   #2
BHPian

Indeed Rover never realized the automobile industry moving into modern design and technology and it paid the price for it. However in the video I didn't like when one of the guy said that it was all over when it(Rover) went into the hands of a third world country.

Are we still considered as third world country??

Last edited by rudrah : 3rd November 2010 at 16:09.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Are we still considered as third world country?
We are still a developing country, and will be for next few decades.

Quote:
77 per cent of Indians live on less than Rs 20 a day
It's official: 37 pc live below poverty line - India News - IBNLive
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
We are still a developing country, and will be for next few decades.

It's official: 37 pc live below poverty line - India News - IBNLive
Have to agree that India is ot developed but that doesn't warrant such a claim that a 'British' company failed cause of a third world country.Anyway proud to be of the third world order.
This video is quite old seems,but still gotta say that two 'British' companies are now a success story cause of an indian company.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:58   #5
BHPian

It made me sad when I watched the Video.If this was a Honda Civic rebadged Rover the media would welcome it and would blame Rover for lack of marketing it properly if it was reason for collapse of Rover rather blaming Honda. Double Standards are the words which come to my mind.

The Indica had short comings but could have been easily rectified if Rover management listened to technicians at Longbridge and fitted the fabulous K series motor.

The Rover collapsed not due to Indica but due to variety of causes . Let me summarize
1.Decades of British Government interference
2.Too much of Ego among management which started with Morris and Austin division of BMC( British Motor Corporation) and infighting amongst division
3.Accountants meddling in the affairs of engineers and Designers
4.The trade Unions were also at fault
5.BMW mismanagement and not understanding the market.

Off - Topic
There too much similarities between Indian and British motors Industry and I am concerned that our Motor Industry is heading to similar situation in a decade as British motor industry were from 1950 - 2008 due too much of Government interference.This is my personal observation.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:44   #6
BHPian

I watched the complete video, this reminds of how Hindustan Motors is currently, refusing to understand what the modern world wants.

What is wrong in mentioning a "third world manufacturer", they have every right to blame the manufacturer, when a car imported into a country does not satisfy the standard quality levels & being sold for a starting price of 7000 pounds!!!!
Old 3rd November 2010, 23:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Whats wrong with the British ? Can't they ever be more thankful to us. We tried to revive their already dead Rover Brand.

And it's not like they were a BMW or Benz kind of brand in the first place for them to feel so embarrassed by Tata's take over.
Old 4th November 2010, 00:03   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Whats wrong with the British ? Can't they ever be more thankful to us. We tried to revive their already dead Rover Brand.
Whats not wrong by the British.

Firstly none of their cars ever cut the marque. Most of them being Utter Failures.

And least they forget, this Third rate country's Automobile brand brought over the Biggest Automobile Manufacturer in the world, the JLR
Old 4th November 2010, 00:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Have to agree that India is ot developed but that doesn't warrant such a claim that a 'British' company failed cause of a third world country.Anyway proud to be of the third world order.
This video is quite old seems,but still gotta say that two 'British' companies are now a success story cause of an indian company.
Video does not imply that Rover failed because of an Indian company.

It tries to convey that Rover was already on the decline and choosing a car like Indica to be re-badged made it obvious that they have lost the track.

This is an old video and Indica was far less polished at that time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks