Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:39   #136
BHPian

Re: ACI report: Fiat to launch punto EVO in India

Evo looks stunning. It adds a lot of character inside out. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post

The quality of interiors should also be improved because I have seen Puntos with the bonnet opening lever falling off many times. My friend's Punto's front door handle and rear wiper also came off once.
Agreed. Fiat has a lot of work to do on quality of Punto overall. To add to bonnet lever falling off, door handle and rear wipers falling off - my frined has serious rust issues within 1 year of his brand new Punto, had clutch issues a couple of times. (the dealer fixed it, still it is not up to mark). There are various threads on TeamBhp discussing Break issues (serious), parts falling off etc. Long story short, among the common car buying population (read non-enthusiasts), Punto / Fiat has a serious image problem. I remember somebody suggested him to stay away from fiat, at that time, I fully supported his Punto decision - now I feel like an Idiot, and the guilt of driving him into buying a GP. It may still be just his car, an exception, but looking at the number of issues reported here on TBhp and other forums, it probably is not. To top it all, the Fiat engineer told him that rusting is due to salty Ahmedabad water used to wash the car How come Hondas, VWs, Marutis and Hundais are fine with the same salty water?

My friend is fine with the A.S.S and services, but not with the product itself. You expect a better fixed car in today's age.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:03   #137
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
My friend is fine with the A.S.S and services, but not with the product itself. You expect a better fixed car in today's age.
Indeed, even 2 of my colleagues and a cousin mentioned the same thing. They have absolutely no issues about FIAT's A.S.S., rather they are more than satisfied (even with the "not so famous dealer" from Pune). So again, they seem to have worked out A.S.S issue, the quality (interiors especially) and stonker diesel engine is what they need.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:03   #138
BHPian

This new model looks MUCH better than the current one. The interiors along with improved plastics will be a very welcome change. im sure such a change would really improve the sales for Fiat.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

It does look great .

Does that mean ,the current punto design will be replaced with this evo design? or the old design will also sell along ?

Will the evo design have higher price tag ?

Last edited by black12rr : 23rd May 2011 at 18:11.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:10   #140
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
bring 1.6 MJD in punto and ofcourse in Linea.
Market is moving really fast. With petrol prices continuously rising, 1.6 MJD could be only the savior.
According to Hormazd, "1.6 diesel for Linea definitely not coming".
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

The Evo has lost the baby Maser front end. Pity. Interiors are pretty slick though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Does that mean ,the current punto design will be replaced with this evo design? or the old design will also sell along ?
Will the evo design have higher price tag ?
The Evo should replace the current Punto. Pricing it above the current Punto is not an option, given the competition in the segment.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:15   #142
Senior - BHPian

Is that leather on the dashboard of the new Punto? If it is, it would be great. Interior design itself is a step forward for the Punto, materials should be better to. Overall a much better place to be in
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:50   #143
Senior - BHPian

Good move by FIAT. Though even better would be to introduce the twin air engines in the petrol versions.

But as of now FIAT's major concern should be quality of components, which is pretty much the only place where it lags behind VW.

Though service issue still exist, but I think it is pretty much on par now. But for the service perception to go, it will take some more time.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:53   #144
Senior - BHPian

IMO they are wasting their time an energy in fixing something that ain't broke!! Interiors, yes they could replace it with Linea's beige combo with 'much improved' plastic quality and 'much improved' fit and finish. This will definitely look better then current dull and boring looking black & Gray combo.

They should rather invest their time in improving A.S.S and fixing niggling issues.

Like most, I too like current Punto's exteriors however I like Evo's interiors

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd May 2011 at 20:55.
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:08   #145
BHPian

Is it just me or the EVO looks a lot like the Fiat 500? A welcome change
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:13   #146
BHPian

The current Punto is a looker. But if there is an impending facelift, then I would like to see the following.

1. Completely revamped gear ratios. The current ratios are totally messed up and are the worst in the segment.

2. Blame it on the decade old gear box and poor gear ratios, the current Punto(diesel) is a laggard. A 4 second lag to the segment leader in a 0-100 dash is just not acceptable. If Ford can tune a decade old TDCI to offer better performance, Fiat can definitely do much better with the cutting edge MJD.

3. Better quality interior components. I know Fiat blamed it on the vendors of Tata for the poor quality, but it's the responsibility of Fiat to make sure the components meet their quality standards.

4. (Not related to facelifts) Fiat should request, beg or plead Tata for some space for their cars in the service centers. The current service centers are awfully crowded and getting a scratch/dent is inevitable at least in any one of your visits for service.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 23rd May 2011 at 21:22.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:16   #147
BHPian

The exteriors should be kept almost the same with minor changes but the interiors have to be improved. I don't know whether the new interiors will be the same as the one shown in the pics on the first page, but I think only the colour combination of the interiors will be changed because there is already another thread which says that the punto will be offered with beige interiors.

I just hope they don't increase the prices else it won't sell. There is already a lot of competition in this segment so people can easily consider another choice if they don't find one VFM.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:25   #148
BHPian

Punto Facelift

Guys,
Punto facelift is round the corner. I really wish it to have better interiors now.

Source -- ACI

SCOOP! Fiat Punto Facelift coming | Autocar India

Last edited by aah78 : 24th May 2011 at 23:36. Reason: Merged with existing. Please search before posting. Thanks!
Old 24th May 2011, 20:48   #149
Senior - BHPian

Re: Punto Facelift

Somehow the new face looks a mixture of Fiat 500 and the existing punto and I don't like it.

The existing punto front is much more elgant and sleek!
Old 24th May 2011, 21:49   #150
BHPian

Re: Punto Facelift

Looks cute and a fresh new small car!

Most Viewed