Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:06   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ACI report: Fiat to launch punto EVO in India

Much needed. And great facelift both interiors and exteriors.

Punto kickstarted the slew of hatchbacks that followed in recent times. It defiantly feels the heat from Polo and others. The EVO should help gain some ground.
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:23   #122
AWD
BHPian

While such a facelift would be great but somewhere I do feel that Fiat won't go along with this so soon(according to their standards), so early in a vehicles life. For a start, they could chop off or bring in a new Palio first. Such drastic facelift would be a big-leap for them, if they manage to pull it off.
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:34   #123
BHPian

If the pictures posted above are actually the facelifted ones, then I'd say it's a welcome change, the exteriors looks much more aggressive, while the interiors are way classier! The current audio unit (both in Punto and Linea) is an eyesore. But that's just me.

When would Linea get at least an interior face lift? The interiors of Linea doesn't match its exterior, and somehow, I'd prefer a different grill as well. IMO, the grill spoils the rest of the look of a classy sedan.

Last edited by Tats07 : 22nd May 2011 at 20:37.
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:49   #124
Senior - BHPian

Call me old fashioned but I will prefer the classic looks of the Punto we have over this Evo version. The current Punto has a timeless look. It is not going to age. Infact it will look better and better as the cars around it take weird shapes.
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:58   #125
BHPian

EVO looks agressive and better than the current version IMHO. Somehow I always felt that the nose of current Punto looked bland and old school, only the grill portion. With the EVO version it gets much better. Interior is too good, upto the current trend of interior styling. I hope Fiat brings it soon to India.
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:16   #126
Team-BHP Support

Bring it on FIAT. The EVO indeed look pretty cool! Very modern, and should definitely give it an edge over the rivals - provided they get their Sales and Service work for them.
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:32   #127
BHPian

Year2011 seems to be even more rocking for Premium hatchbacks than 2010 & all this really seems to be a Premium hatchback Revolution effect.
But I like its the Punto's current Maserati inspired front grille more & it really sets it apart from its current curvaceous Rivals but change is the rule of nature & every change brings freshness. So alongwith new Interiors this might give a new lease of life to Fiat Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Call it the new Swift effect! There is even a talk of VW bringing in a 1.5L 4 cyl. diesel engine for the Polo.
Globally VW is having only 2 Diesel engines for Polo;
-1.6l, 4-cylinder TDi &
-1.2l, 3-cylinder Bluemotion-TDi(w/o bluemotion in India though).
So any other configuration in between them will definitely be a Downisizng job to its 1.6 engine only.
Even few days back I was thinking the feasibility of 1.4l, 4-cylinder TDi engine for it for better Power, Performance & NVH levels & also this combination provides best of both Power & Economy worlds.
But if VW is planning 1.5l TDi then it will also be a fine with 'detuned bhp'-figures for the same.
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:01   #128
BHPian

A facelift is very much welcome! Punto is suffering from the effect of Polo, i20 and now the new Swift and Fiesta.
Fiat also needs to improve its A.S.S.

The quality of interiors should also be improved because I have seen Puntos with the bonnet opening lever falling off many times. My friend's Punto's front door handle and rear wiper also came off once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Call it the new Swift effect! There is even a talk of VW bringing in a 1.5L 4 cyl. diesel engine for the Polo.
Punto needs changes more so because its already started to lag in sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is there such an engine available in the VW? Is it already being used ? With 1.6D available, in India, why would VW develop a 1.5 engine in India? Would it be profitable for them?

Coming back to Punto:
Two main aspects which let Punto off: Interiors of the Car and Fiat After sales.
More than interiors Fiat needs to spruce up after sales. I guess, the rest will automatically follow.
VW won't develop a 1.5 lit engine when it already has the 1.6 lit diesel engine which is used in Vento and the Polo Cup cars. So the Polo will be launched with the same engine only.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:34   #129
BHPian

That is the best news I must have heard concerning Punto in a long time.. Though I would like the front to be old school but you can't have your cake and eat it too. It would do good for Fiat's image..

Why? Because this may be the first time Fiat is going to launch the next version of any of its cars in India in a single session.

That said I hope new interiors also have more cubby holes and stuff and places to stock 1 liter bottles.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:54   #130
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
VW won't develop a 1.5 lit engine when it already has the 1.6 lit diesel engine which is used in Vento and the Polo Cup cars. So the Polo will be launched with the same engine only.
What does the taxation policy say, I guess 1.2 L for petrol & <1.5L for diesel for excise benifits. So, its pretty understandable for a Company to go to lengths to take that important advantage. The margin among various cars in the segment is extremely narrow, these big-advantages which are offered on a platter, can't be given a go bye.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:24   #131
Senior - BHPian

This is surprising. I always thought that the next car Fiat India is planning would be the Palio. Punto facelift never occurred to me. Current Punto's exteriors with Evo's interiors will be the best combination, according to me.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:08   #132
BHPian

This looks good!! Now fiat should introduce the T-jet punto and the re-tuned 90Hp MJD. That will just heat up the market!! .
Cheers,
Naparajito
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:38   #133
BHPian

Any idea as to whether the 1.4 P is a T-jet or the one currently doing duty on the Punto? Plonking the T-jet will make Punto a cracker of a car! With the fuel prices disparity mimicking the rich-poor divide in this country, IMO it doesn't make any sense in the future to have mediocre petrols in your premium offerings. One might as well rationalize their line up to have a range of diesel models - fully stripped down to top end and performance petrols like the T-jet.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:54   #134
xPK
BHPian

I would say, Forget about 1.4 TJet in Punto bring 1.6 MJD in punto and ofcourse in Linea.
Market is moving really fast. With petrol prices continuously rising, 1.6 MJD could be only the savior. And what's with the facelift? I also read on some other thread about Linea facelift. come on FIAT, people love the way your cars look, plonk 1.6 MJD and spruce up the interiors a little and that's it. Gosh, looks like Accenture is really screwing up FIAT by misleading them about the market.
FIAT, forget accenture and start visiting Team-BHP once in a while.

Last edited by xPK : 23rd May 2011 at 12:55.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:17   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Coming back to Punto:
Two main aspects which let Punto off: Interiors of the Car and Fiat After sales.
More than interiors Fiat needs to spruce up after sales. I guess, the rest will automatically follow.
IMHO apart from the quality of interiors, the main problem with Fiat has been their sales team. As a prospective buyer who had made up his mind on the Punto MJD; I must say the Fiat SA did an excellent job at convincing me why I should not buy the car. They are really awesome specimens; its almost to the extent where I began to suspect that they have been specifically told not to "sell" Fiats. Before the ***, its your sales team that requires some serious *** kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
And what's with the facelift? I also read on some other thread about Linea facelift. come on FIAT, people love the way your cars look, plonk 1.6 MJD and spruce up the interiors a little and that's it. Gosh, looks like Accenture is really screwing up FIAT by misleading them about the market.
FIAT, forget accenture and start visiting Team-BHP once in a while.
+1 xPK; we already drool over the cars; get a facelift only for the interiors. Dont solve a problem that doesnt exist, for Gods sake!
And is it Accenture, I didnt know that; I hope they dont ask Fiat to be a Tiger
EDIT: cheap shot, perhaps, but couldnt resist if this is the kind of advice they are giving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks