Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 01:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon

Ok. Now this has gotten me really confused.

2 cars which have been neck and neck at competition for time unknown in India, have been the Wagon R and the Santro. Both the cars have gone through facelifts, but Wagon R has recently taken the front seat with its most recent facelift and the Santro is still left with its 2006 (Correct me if I am wrong) avatar, pending a long overdue change.

No, I came across pics of what some articles say is the 'New' Wagon R 2010 and in some places 2011. Have checked several articles, but unable to determine the if this is going to be launched now, or already has been launched in other markets. Checked if this was a Wagon R Stingray, but got different images for that one.

But by the look of the car, it seems to be in line with the latest Suzuki themes and sports radical interiors

If this comes to India, I think this will definitely stir the competition.

What intrigued me was the placement of the gear lever and full lenght front seats, with no middle console.Almost seems like a bench seat

Now for some pics

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon-1_1469x1050.jpg

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon-suzukiwagonr1_1484x1050.jpg

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon-maruti_suzuki_wagon_r_2010_3_1680x911.jpg

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon-suzukiwagonr5_1495x1050.jpg

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon-maruti_suzuki_wagon_r_2010_1_1680x932.jpg

New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon-wagon-r-2011.jpg

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 14th December 2010 at 01:07. Reason: Needed to rectify some errors
Old 14th December 2010, 01:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Wagon R for India?? Revamp So Soon

I remember reading about this WagonR. I believe our blue eyed boy was based on this design, IIRC.
However, dont expect this to replace the current WagonR.
Old 14th December 2010, 03:14   #3
BHPian

Please Maruthi we dont want yet another revamp, almost every car in your lineup has gone for a revamp(Say all new wagon R, Alto k-10, New estilo, all new SX4, now swift 2011, stripped down versa = Eeco, new grand vitara) Kindly do some R&D and try to justify the term new launches without any revamp.

Why the hell there are no new, fresh cars from your stable?? we are tired too see the same old stuff.
Old 14th December 2010, 03:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@camchennai: Actually, the new 2011 Swift and the WagonR (that was just launched) are completely new models. Just like the Accord and City have retained their brand name in their new generations, Maruti is keeping the Swift and WagonR brand names on those models as well.
This is because they hope the good brand image will rub off on the newer models.

The only old models I can see Maruti flogging are the 800, alto, omni, and eeco. I assume this is so that they can continue pricing these cars cheap. It will be tough for them, or any manufacturer, to launch completely new and fresh cars at that price point.

Rest of their models are still quite fresh in the market, and just like they did with the WagonR and will do with the Swift, it is safe to assume that even the rest of the cars will be completely revamped (not a facelift, but a new model with same brand name) as and when a newer model is launched internationally.
Old 14th December 2010, 04:11   #5
BHPian

Agreed to some extent lamborghini, However in the case of city and accord they are completely new shape and models, they don't share any of the(at least) exterior shapes as their predecessor. In the case of wagon R and swift its mostly some cosmetic changes(My perception). They can come out with some new models like what Hyundai did with i20, because of Maruti now all companies comes out with this all new model concept (like Hyundai refreshed i10, Verna trasform and Ford for its special editions in Fiesta and endeavor).
End of the day as a customer we would like to see some fresh new models and get updated with global models.
Old 14th December 2010, 07:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@camchennai: Agreed that Maruti could come out with new shapes, however, from their point of view, it is safer to be similar than radical.
They tried the radical approach with the old jellybean Zen, by launching a completely new model known as the Zen Estilo. We know how that fared.
With the new WagonR and Swift, these cars are completely redesigned, bigger, and are practically brand new. However, Suzuki is playing it safe by branding it and designing these new models as an evolution of the older models.
Old 14th December 2010, 09:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Maruti is going to bring out this version of the Wagon R to the Indian market any time soon, seeing how well the new Wagon R is faring in the current market. It is going neck and neck with the i10 sales figures and there should be no reason to change the same in my opinion
Old 14th December 2010, 14:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

The current (2010) WagonR is based on the one shown in the picture on the 1st page. They share the same chassis. The Indian version was given a facelift (new bonnet,grille bumpers,tail lights and boot). But for this facelift (and engine- 660 cc in Japan), both are same.
Old 14th December 2010, 14:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is an automatic. Is an auto WagonR on launch list for India? Please excuse my ignorance was there a WagonR automatic launched before?
Old 14th December 2010, 14:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

To me, Wagor R is looking more and more like Tempo Traveller mini version.

The above photos look really good. Maybe Maruti can evolve it to a real city car with oodles of space and comfort.
Old 14th December 2010, 14:19   #11
BHPian

I doubt they'll be able to accommodate a manual gearstick on the dashboard
Old 14th December 2010, 15:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The current (2010) WagonR is based on the one shown in the picture on the 1st page. They share the same chassis. The Indian version was given a facelift (new bonnet,grille bumpers,tail lights and boot). But for this facelift (and engine- 660 cc in Japan), both are same.
Apart from that I feel the 'Indian new WagonR' has a longer bonnet may be to accommodate bigger? 1ltr K-Series engine. But then if our WagonR is based on 4th Gen. international WagonR then why it does not have flat floor like in international WagonR?
Old 14th December 2010, 15:15   #13
BHPian

This WagonR looks nice.Bench like seats will provide more space in the front seats.

Looking at the gear position, this is a WagonR Automatic and having gearstick at that position will be awkward,atleast for me.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Agreed to some extent lamborghini, However in the case of city and accord they are completely new shape and models, they don't share any of the(at least) exterior shapes as their predecessor. In the case of wagon R and swift its mostly some cosmetic changes(My perception). They can come out with some new models like what Hyundai did with i20, because of Maruti now all companies comes out with this all new model concept (like Hyundai refreshed i10, Verna trasform and Ford for its special editions in Fiesta and endeavor).
End of the day as a customer we would like to see some fresh new models and get updated with global models.
+1 to that.Maruti,I feel,thinks a little differently.
In the R&D terminology,they only prefer the D(Develop) and do that over and again and not in R(research)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
This is an automatic. Is an auto WagonR on launch list for India? Please excuse my ignorance was there a WagonR automatic launched before?

Yes,they did.
That model was called as Wagon R AX.But I guess it was discontinued after a while.Not sure about the current status

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th December 2010 at 21:43. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 15:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
+ 1.

This is the WagonR sold in India, except for a different front and rear end design. Maruti wanted the WagonR to be identical to the outgoing one, and hence the design change while bringing it to India.

If anyone has anymore doubts, compare the interiors and side panels. (And please read through the old WagonR threads. These pictures were discussed in detail, before sidindica got the first spy pics from india!)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed