Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 00:43   #1
nbr
BHPian

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe

Hyundai has introduced its cutting-edge Veloster three-door coupe in a world debut at the North American International Auto Show. The 2012 Veloster delivers innovation to the compact coupe segment with a unique third door for easy rear-seat access, Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system, Pandora internet radio with seven-inch touch-screen display, and a new 1.6-liter direct-injected four-cylinder engine mated to Hyundai's first dual-clutch transmission.They say it was inspired by a motor cycle!!!

I personally hate this design. It was supposed to be Super sexy VW SCIROCCO beater,but i would rate any day only a SCIROCCO then this piece of sheet metal & plastic!!!

Source: carmiddleeastmagazine ,wheel.blogs.newyorktimes and freep.com
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-10wheelshyundaicustom5.jpg  

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-10wheelshyundaicustom6.jpg  

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-11wheelshyundaiblog480.jpg  

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-169009_486477217492_38673087492_6433152_5665430_n.jpg  

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-velosterhyundai.jpg  

Old 19th January 2011, 02:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
I personally hate this design. It was supposed to be Super sexy VW SCIROCCO beater,but i would rate any day only a SCIROCCO then this piece of sheet metal & plastic!!!
The kink below the headlamps is killing the design, which is otherwise similar to modern hyundai design philosophy!

However, am i seeing things- or is it two doors on one side, and one door on the other?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th January 2011 at 02:26.
Old 19th January 2011, 08:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yet another crazy looking car from Hyundai :(

The rear looks similar to FIAT Bravo!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-1.jpg  

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-2.jpg  

Old 19th January 2011, 12:07   #4
BHPian

the kink below the headlamps looks to be inspired from the Aston Martin One-77
Old 19th January 2011, 12:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Love it or hate it, you just can't ignore it. At least it looks original and daring.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:36   #6
BHPian

Absolutely agree with Sid. It's a 'love me' 'hate me' design. It's an agressive take by Hyundai and IMO it looks good and mean.

BTW if they design an elegant looking coupe sedan ( read new Sonata), we start criticizing them for copy pasting design from other cars. And if they design a bold new vehicle like this one then, then we start criticizing them for going overboard. Hard bunch to please, us Team Bhp'ians huh .
Old 19th January 2011, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

What are the tech specs? Looks like a hot-mean hatch! The froggy stance and look wont be to everyones taste tho but Americans love to stand out so this one might just sell.
Old 19th January 2011, 14:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is trying too hard to profess, "Even we can, even we can!!". That's all. It's an overdone result of overdoing.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and a new 1.6-liter direct-injected four-cylinder engine mated to Hyundai's first dual-clutch transmission.They say it was inspired by a motor cycle!!!
I cannot comment on the designs, but the way Hyundai is progressing technology wise, it almost scary.

If I know correctly, Honda doesn't till now have dual clutch transmission and has shied away from having direct injection in any of its 'mass' models. Can it accept that Hyundai is offering many offerings which are 'technically' more advanced that Honda

That too in 'petrol' segment, which is what Honda excels in. Honda doesn't have a single diesel engine apart from 2.2 CTD-i.

aren't these developments shocking?

PS: I like quite a few Honda cars and do not intend to do Honda bashing. I am just appalled by this realization!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st January 2011 at 14:36.
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I cannot comment on the designs, but the way Hyundai is progressing technology wise, it almost scary.

If I know correctly, Honda doesn't till now have dual clutch transmission and has shied away from having direct injection in any of its 'mass' models. Can it accept that Hyundai is offering many offerings which are 'technically' more advanced that Honda

That too in 'petrol' segment, which is what Honda excels in. Honda doesn't have a single diesel engine apart from 2.2 CTD-i.

aren't these developments shocking?
You took it out of my mouth. Hyundai has given shudders to everyone from Ford to Toyota to Honda, not only through their sales but also with their technology.

But the sad thing is, there are still brand snobs all over the world who are not ready to accept this fact and still criticize Hyundai for what they do. Whatever designs they come up with are immediately bashed upon as being copied from other cars.

I would like to appreciate Hyundai for coming up with a striking and fresh design in the Veloster. Agreed, the kink below the headlights and near the taillights spoil the complete look of the car but the Veloster will surely be noticed whenever it passes by.

And oh yes, the Veloster cant beat the VW Scirocco when it comes to looks definitely.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
But the sad thing is, there are still brand snobs all over the world who are not ready to accept this fact and still criticize Hyundai for what they do. Whatever designs they come up with are immediately bashed upon as being copied from other cars.
I hope Mahindra won't face the same fate as Hyundai. I still feel really bad for hyundai coz build quality and Technology is almost on level with their counterparts.

I think its their time to announce an F1 team to showcase their brand and technology + a luxury brand for D + segment car with a non-Korean name.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Hyundai Unveils 2012 Veloster Coupe-4026309603.jpg

Veloster Coupe Tech-spec -

Engine
: 1.6-litre four-cylinder
Transmission : Five-speed auto, FWD
Max power : 138bhp @ 6,300rpm
Max torque : 167Nm @ 4,850rpm

check this link for the test drive report of the pre-production variant.

gulfnews : Hyundai shows times are a-changin'
Old 30th January 2011, 07:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I hope Mahindra won't face the same fate as Hyundai. I still feel really bad for hyundai coz build quality and Technology is almost on level with their counterparts.

I think its their time to announce an F1 team to showcase their brand and technology + a luxury brand for D + segment car with a non-Korean name.
Yeah seriously, I too wish and hope that both Tata and Mahindra will not face the 'brand image' problems currently being faced by Hyundai. But, going by the recent things happening in USA & Australia, I guess Mahindra is headed in exactly the same direction as Chinese automakers.

I think 'Genesis' has really helped Hyundai to improve its brand image in USA. The next target for Hyundai should be Europe where they are still considered as cheap econo boxes.
Old 30th January 2011, 10:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
......But the sad thing is, there are still brand snobs all over the world who are not ready to accept this fact and still criticize Hyundai for what they do. Whatever designs they come up with are immediately bashed upon as being copied from other cars.....
Quote:
Yeah seriously, I too wish and hope that both Tata and Mahindra will not face the 'brand image' problems currently being faced by Hyundai. But, going by the recent things happening in USA & Australia, I guess Mahindra is headed in exactly the same direction as Chinese automakers.

I think 'Genesis' has really helped Hyundai to improve its brand image in USA. The next target for Hyundai should be Europe where they are still considered as cheap econo boxes.
Me too one of the brand snobs.I can't how much i try to get rid of the feeling that Hyundai is not cheap and cherry anymore,but i can't.(though coming to our domestic brands I place them higher than Hyundai(patriotism?)
Though have to admit that the Genesis and Genesis coupe have single handedly changed my way of looking at them in a big way. Love too the way Honda gets bashed up.After the death of Soichiro Honda, Honda seems to have lost their edge.
Coming to the Velostar even with the quirky styling, it's bold move by Hyundai and unconventional unlike the Genesis coupe.
Old 30th January 2011, 19:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Me too one of the brand snobs.I can't how much i try to get rid of the feeling that Hyundai is not cheap and cherry anymore,but i can't.(though coming to our domestic brands I place them higher than Hyundai(patriotism?)
Though have to admit that the Genesis and Genesis coupe have single handedly changed my way of looking at them in a big way. Love too the way Honda gets bashed up.After the death of Soichiro Honda, Honda seems to have lost their edge.
Coming to the Velostar even with the quirky styling, it's bold move by Hyundai and unconventional unlike the Genesis coupe.
You are not to blame Dicky. Because, that's what most people across the world are doing. But I like the fact that you admitted liking the Genesis sedan and coupe. My cousin brother was one of the brand snobs until he recently test drove the latest YF Sonata in USA. He was smitten by it and is now a fan of Sonata so much so, that he has ended up buying a used EF Sonata.

I hope the Veloster's technical brilliance (its engine, transmission and internal electronic gizmos) will slowly start spreading to all Hyundai models. When will we Indians get these technology at affordable prices?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks