Team-BHP - Fiat CEO tells VW Boss to Back-Off on Requests for Alfa Romeo, Fix His Own Problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Fiat CEO tells VW Boss to Back-Off on Requests for Alfa Romeo, Fix His Own Problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/96427-fiat-ceo-tells-vw-boss-back-off-requests-alfa-romeo-fix-his-own-problems.html)

After repeatedly voicing his interest in purchasing the Alfa Romeo brand from its Fiat parent company, Volkswagen Chairman Ferdinand Piech today received a decisive answer. It’s just not the answer he was looking for.

“As long as I am CEO of Chrysler and Fiat, Mr. Piech will never have Alfa Romeo. It’s hands-off,” said Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, speaking at a J.D. Power conference.

And rather than leave it at that, Marchionne rebuked his rival, insisting that he would be better off to fix his own internal problems first. In particular, Marchionne referred to Seat (Volkswagen’s Spanish subsidiary), which has struggled to find buyers for its brand of rebadged Volkswagens in recent years.

After having neglected the Alfa Romeo brand, Fiat is looking to reinvest and will introduce a new sports car concept at the Geneva Auto Show this year, along with other new models, including a crossover based on the Jeep Compass.

[Source: Auto Guide]

Good. I do not know what the German's were thinking. They will take an Italian car and ruin its soul.

VW wants to become a top car maker in the world and that’s the reason they are in buying spree, they are working hard on takeovers and acquisition.

Just want to remind folks that they have bought 25% share in Suzuki and took over Porsche in the recent years, all these moves were to climb up to the top spot.

Did Fiat neglect alfa romeo brand?? I never knew that. Why will they do such a stupid thing??

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative (Post 2240375)
Good. I do not know what the German's were thinking. They will take an Italian car and ruin its soul.

VW owns Lamborghini already and as of now havnt ruined it soul one bit.Infact lamborghini has flourished under VW with records sales,keeping the lambo madness intact just adding a dash of german reliabilty.

Although what Fiat is doing with alfa romeo is not bad either,love the styling of the recent alfas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avishar (Post 2240406)
VW owns Lamborghini already and as of now havnt ruined it soul one bit.

I would love to take my words back. But would wait for a few more years before doing that. :) The thing is that after a while the parent's character starts dominating things like priority in design, manufacturing techniques, marketing etc. etc.

VW also owns the Bugatti. Dont look like the beetle's slow-pokedness has rubbed off on it :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 2240608)
VW also owns the Bugatti. Dont look like the beetle's slow-pokedness has rubbed off on it :-)

That is a ridiculous comparison. :) I hope the Phaeton's majesty has.

They already have a brand with Latin blood (SEAT). They should focus on developing it as a worthy competetior to Afla (and not FIAT)

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative (Post 2240375)

Completely agree! They may make Alfa a totally troublefree model, but could definitely rob the soul!

@Mpower, i thought latin = italian/roman. SEAT = spanish

And yes, a reliable italian car would be an oxymoron which santa claus would drive :D

Hmm....actually here Mexicans and other Central Americans of Spanish descent are called as Latinos. Not sure man.

But for sure SEAT has great potential and needs to 1.come out with an image car and 2.learn to market its products more effectively outside Spain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative (Post 2240426)
I would love to take my words back. But would wait for a few more years before doing that. :) The thing is that after a while the parent's character starts dominating things like priority in design, manufacturing techniques, marketing etc. etc.

I differ. Audi & Skoda are in VW stable for decades now. They have grown exponentially. Skoda cars which were a joke earlier, are now rated best manufacturer in UK consumer surveys.
1. Design : There is a definite design language of various brand in the group. SEATs are sporty & Skodas are stately. Audi is a luxury brand while Bentley is super luxury.
2. Manufacturing technique: Many volume-brands like VW, skoda, SEAT & Audi share parts & platform. Furthermore VW is coming out with modular platform concept which will be used to club various models [220+] of group brands.
3.Marketing : VW brands are never sold under the same roof. All brands have their own supervisory board & manged independently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritzy (Post 2241665)
I differ. Audi & Skoda are in VW stable for decades now. They have grown exponentially. ... All brands have their own supervisory board & manged independently.

Arrey boss, please read what I have said carefully. I never said that VW does not know how to design/make/advertise/sell cars.

P.S. Do you like Aishwarya Rai or Madhuri Dixit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative (Post 2241821)
Arrey boss, please read what I have said carefully. I never said that VW does not know how to design/make/advertise/sell cars.

P.S. Do you like Aishwarya Rai or Madhuri Dixit?

I read that. You did say that " after a while the parent's character starts dominating things like priority in design, manufacturing techniques, marketing etc. etc.".
To this, I was replying that even after 20 + years association, group brands have their distinct design & styling, manufacturing tech. (Audi'd Alumminum frame design etc. ) & marketing. They have flourished under VW.
And to your other question, yeah I like both of them. Aishwarya untill she opens her mouth to speak & Madhuri as she speaks & smiles.
See I am not a fan-boy & know that recent trend in VW group styling is all due to one Mr Walter de'Silva who is an Italian & was head of design at Alfa Romeo. But there is no point in unduly Bashing VW ( you said - ruining a Italian cars soul!!!), when they have done commendable job of superbly manging 9+ brands of different cultures & nationalities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritzy (Post 2241910)
I read that. You did say that " after a while the parent's character starts dominating things like priority in design, manufacturing techniques, marketing etc. etc.".
To this, I was replying that even after 20 + years association, group brands have their distinct design & styling, manufacturing tech. (Audi'd Alumminum frame design etc. ) & marketing. They have flourished under VW.
And to your other question, yeah I like both of them. Aishwarya untill she opens her mouth to speak & Madhuri as she speaks & smiles.
See I am not a fan-boy & know that recent trend in VW group styling is all due to one Mr Walter de'Silva who is an Italian & was head of design at Alfa Romeo. But there is no point in unduly Bashing VW ( you said - ruining a Italian cars soul!!!), when they have done commendable job of superbly manging 9+ brands of different cultures & nationalities.

I must say, "Well put!".

However, whatever got you to think I was 'bashing' VW? :)

P.S. I like Madhuri only because she can lighten my heart whether she is speaking or smiling. I think we can agree to disagree. I hope by now you know why I got this analogy in.