Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 11:56   #16
BHPian

Re: 2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
2012 BMW M5 Concept leaked ahead of Shanghai Motor Show.

Source: autoblog
BMW in Schanghai: Kraftvoll und kugelfest - Yahoo! Autos

some new excellent pictures of this excellent BMW 5er.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Million dollar question..does it have hydraulic or electric power steering?
Old 18th April 2011, 15:40   #18
BHPian

BMW Concept M5. ( Courtesy M-Power.com)
The future of the high performance sports car with four doors and five seats.
14. April 11

Now at a highly advanced stage, the BMW Concept M5 demonstrates the evolution of a BMW M high performance car based on the new BMW 5 Series sedan, combining a high performance sports car and a premium sedan with the maximum driving comfort in the one vehicle.
2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-1.jpg

The heart of the BMW Concept M5 is a new, high speed M engine featuring M TwinPower Turbo Technology. The eight cylinder engine develops the spontaneous, yet predictable thrust all the way into the full load range for a previously unmatched experience, and that typical M feeling. The augmented power capacity goes hand in hand with a significantly optimised efficiency, for over 25% savings in fuel consumption and emission values. This testifies to the efficacy of a development strategy that has its origins in racing: besides engine performance and reliability, this efficiency also leads to minimised refuelling stops, and therefore to those crucial advantages.
2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-2.jpg

The seven speed M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic allows extremely fast and smooth gearshifts, also in automatic mode, with no loss to tractive force or high efficiency.

2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-3.jpg

High power and large torque want to feel the road. For the maximum performance, four wheel drives do not exhibit the optimal balance or dynamics. M differential locks have been standard on the M vehicles for many years. The BMW Concept M5 is the first to demonstrate the new Active M Differential.
2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-4.jpg

It targets optimised traction and directional stability by varying the locking power between the left and right drive wheels and regulating actively an electric motor for locking the plates in the rear differential. Networked with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and the engine electronics, this system can now detect wheel spinning in its incipient stages. The precise analysis of the driving situation considers e.g. the recorded wheel speeds, accelerator pedal position, and the vehicle’s yaw rate. Compared with purely mechanical locks, locking power can now be regulated earlier, faster, and with greater precision. Especially on slippery surfaces, with greatly varying coefficients of friction between the left and right rear wheels, in tight doglegs, and during particularly dynamic lane changes, the system demonstrates the superiority of its optimised traction.
The design of the BMW Concept M5 combines elegance and uncompromising sportiness and follows functional specifications. Large air inlets in the front apron specific to each BMW Concept M5 vehicle are designed precisely for their engines’ and ancillary components’ cooling needs. Precision moulded flaps serve to optimise the air flow.
2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-5.jpg
The side view of the BMW Concept M5 presents a lowered structure that greatly emphasises the long wheel base, the backset occupant cell, and the sporty front wheel housings. The 20“ forged wheel rims are fitted with 265/35 ZR20 (front) and 295/30 ZR20 (rear) tyres.
At the rear, the air flow is optimised over a discreet rear spoiler on the luggage compartment lid and a diffuser integrated in the bottom of the rear apron.
2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-6.jpg
Old 20th April 2011, 10:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

The official engine specs for the new M5

Source: Shanghai motor show: BMW M5 - Autocar.co.uk

The virtually unchanged production version is slated to appear at the Frankfurt show in September, with the car going on sale in the UK in November, priced at around £75k.
The new M5’s 4395cc forced-induction engine makes 552bhp and a thumping 510lb ft of torque — a solid 52bhp and 126lb ft more than the outgoing model’s naturally aspirated 5.0-litre V10, which is being discontinued after just seven years.
“Turbocharging provides more power and performance but with better fuel economy and emissions,” says Albert Biermann, BMW M’s head of R&D. The V8 is the same ‘S63’ unit used in the X5 M and X6 M, but with revised induction and exhausts for sharper throttle response and a more solid top end.
Official performance figures won’t be reveled until Frankfurt, but Autocar sources have revealed that standing-start acceleration has been improved by up to two-tenths of a second.
This points to a 0-62mph time of around 4.5sec — equalling the straight-line performance of its main saloon rival, the £73,415 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:24   #20
BHPian

Its good to hear that they will improve the fuel economy by 25%. I hope that the FTA also goes through soon as these German cars will be more in our budget range. A little disappointed by the V8 just for the fact that v10 just sounds better but super excited to see this M5 to hit the market. Those black wheels are just killer to look at.

Just adding the front grill photo from autocar.uk

I must say that front looks nothing less than a beast. Good job M people.
Attached Thumbnails
2011/2012 BMW M5 scoop!!-bmwconcepts141111322407201600x1060.jpg  

Last edited by maximuzz : 20th April 2011 at 10:28. Reason: Adding front grill pic.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:14   #21
BHPian

Haven't seen anything sexier lately.
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

BMW Officials have confirmed that there will be a 4WD version the new M5. I sincerely hope that's restricted to the Touring version. Here's a report from Autocar

BMW confirms M5 with 4WD - Autocar.co.uk
Old 8th May 2011, 14:42   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

M5 goes AWD!!!

At last it happened ,whatever us the purists say the future is unevitable and thanks to part of the German horse power war it has come.
Yep,after breaking it's RWD fast and launching it's first FWD plans last year ,now it's the turn of the flagship M5 to become AWD.
Audi must be laughing and saying,'we told you so'
RWD..........

Last edited by DicKy : 8th May 2011 at 14:44.
Old 8th May 2011, 14:50   #24
BANNED

Re: M5 goes AWD!!!

BMW (one of my favorite brands) is losing its soul. And in a few years there will be no soul left. Amongst the german trio of Audi, Merc and BMW, I am starting to think that Audi is one that will emerge as the clear winner in the coming few years. Merc has already lost its soul.
Old 8th May 2011, 15:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but is there something "wrong" with the M5 going AWD ? I think it should actually be nice. AWD's always inspire confidence, the only fast Saloon with an AWD that I have driven is the 3.0 TDi A6. I thought it handles well & feels very confident with excellent road holding.

Enlighten please !

Cheers
Old 8th May 2011, 16:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is there something "wrong" with the M5 going AWD ? I think it should actually be nice. AWD's always inspire confidence, the only fast Saloon with an AWD that I have driven is the 3.0 TDi A6. I thought it handles well & feels very confident with excellent road holding.

Enlighten please !

Cheers
Ricky, it is not about inspiring confidence or high speed stability, the way I understand it! RWD are absolute fun to drive compared to AWD. Thats the precise reason why petrolheads and purists around the world prefer them over FWD or AWD setups.

Of course, AWD is going to be more grippy and will provide precise handing around a sharp corner, but it is never going to replicate the fun factor of RWD (unless the car manufacturer tweaks the AWD setup for uneven power distribution, like Audi did with R8 V10).

M5 may become faster and may accommodate more power than ever before, if it goes AWD way; but it will certainly loose its FTD factor and its soul! But thats totally my personal opinion!

Why do you think an M3 gets more fans following, compared to RS5 that is equipped with quattro and a full 30 BHP more powerful to an M3?

Last edited by Ace F355 : 8th May 2011 at 16:33.
Old 8th May 2011, 16:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Ricky, it is not about inspiring confidence or high speed stability, the way I understand it! RWD are absolute fun to drive compared to AWD. Thats the precise reason why petrolheads and purists around the world prefer them over FWD or AWD setups.

Of course, AWD is going to be more grippy and will provide precise handing around a sharp corner, but it is never going to replicate the fun factor of RWD (unless the car manufacturer tweaks the AWD setup for uneven power distribution, like Audi did with R8 V10).

M5 may become faster and may accommodate more power than ever before, if it goes AWD way; but it will certainly loose its FTD factor and its soul! But thats totally my personal opinion!

Why do you think an M3 gets more fans following, compared to RS5 that is equipped with quattro and a full 30 BHP more powerful to an M3?

Thanks for explaining the FTD factor, so what you are saying is that unless the rear steps out it is no fun , well well well !! I guess we all have different perceptions of fun & safety.

For me safety is a priority, maybe I am getting old

Cheers
Old 8th May 2011, 17:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Thanks for explaining the FTD factor, so what you are saying is that unless the rear steps out it is no fun , well well well !! I guess we all have different perceptions of fun & safety.

For me safety is a priority, maybe I am getting old

Cheers
haha, not at all my friend! I am too, all game for safety first! But trust me on this, experiencing that slight oversteer and controlling the drift with a hint of an opposite lock delivers one of the finest sensations in motoring! Speaking from personal experience ! Trust me, driving a FWD/AWD car ain't gonna cut the mustard afterwards!

Thats what FTD factor is for me and RWD offers you just that!
Old 8th May 2011, 17:40   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^agree whole time..Joy of RWD can't be replicated by FWD/AWD unless the AWD setup is rear biased like 40:60 or 30:70 something.
Guess the resurgence of RWD is over thanks to global warming and new CAFE rules.
Only hope is the Toyota FT-86 project which seems to be the only one new launch.
Old 8th May 2011, 18:16   #30
Team-BHP Support

Do you guys really think BMW will make it a 50:50 setup? I think they will probably leave like 70-80% of the power to the rear wheels, or infact even all the power to the rear wheels and only send power to the front when the extra traction is needed. Have some faith in Joy
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks