Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

View Poll Results: Your Choice of Supercar?
Mclaren MP4-12C 69 48.25%
Ferrari 458 Italia 74 51.75%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 20:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Mclaren MP4-12C OR Ferrari 458 Italia

Voted for the 458 Italia. The MP4-12C is a hyper car under the hood like the 458, but it certainly doesn't look the part. All that 'way ahead of its time' looks are gone. The front end reminds me of the Lotus Evora.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:30   #17
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for MP4-12C. I'm not a fan of the 458 Italia. It looks good and is terrific but I'm more into Ferraris like the iconic 348 and the 355. The new gen Fezzas don't seem to excite me much. Also the McLaren looks good, without being too aggressive. The marque may not be as amazing as a Ferrari, but what from I've learnt about the MP4-12C, it sure looks promising.
Old 21st April 2011, 02:14   #18
BHPian

MP4-12C for me!! The Ferrari might look a little better, but I simply love the McLaren school of thought ...
Old 21st April 2011, 11:39   #19

A supercar should shout from its guts and the top of its throats on its arrival and presence! That's why its a SUPER - CAR. And that the Ferrari does, in style! My vote to Italian flamboyance - the 458 Italia.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:19   #20
BHPian

I may not get a chance to drive the MP12c or the 458 so can't really say how much difference all the tech-wizardry is going to make. Maybe all the electronics do addup to make MP12C much more fun to drive. The car which makes the driver feel like King of the Road() should win ,technology or the specs come second.

Till I get the chance to test drive one of these and decide, I vote for 458 based on the looks
Old 21st April 2011, 12:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

The MP4-12C was the best Mclaren could do!

But there is FXX or the 599GTO which the Mclaren can never dream of beating on a track!

The 458 is just the start, its going to see some more evolution thats going to put the MP412C far far away. I am waiting for the Scuderia edition of the 458 thats coming soon!

Look how closely the FXX can match the pace of a F1 car (A F2001 here in this case). This was developed by the king of F1

Old 21st April 2011, 12:57   #22
BHPian

I would buy the Mclaren any day! (Though it will be only in my dreams)

Even though I am a ferrari fan ever since the day I got the privilege to ride in a 360 modena, I find the MP4-12C to be better looking than the 458 and above all, performance is the ultimate thing for a sports car.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:02   #23
BHPian

I have voted for McLaren, plainly because of the subtelty. While Dennis's beauty has a better front, Luca's beauty has a better rear... perhaps a mix of both would be too heady, Hypothetically, I would rather prefer both but would be driving the McLaren behind the Italia always no matter what
Old 21st April 2011, 14:22   #24
BHPian

Ferrari 458 Italia hands down . Close fight between the two. Everybody is screaming about the better performing Mclaren, please understand this - Marginally higher performance (0.1sec in 0-100 and 5km/h in top speed) of MP4 will not be evident when it comes to real world driving, unless it is the highly competitive world of Formula 1 (where again, Mclaren is faster at the moment ).
Old 21st April 2011, 14:31   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think either of these cars can be judged by any supercar standards.
these are hypercars.
They aint supposed to make sense/be superior in terms of technology, speed, functionality.
If its there, good, but not otherwise mandated.
Much like the original bad boy, the diablo.
no sense, still iconic, love it to death!!
or the ccxr, various tvrs....
Anyone asked to choose between these two, will take one look, one second, and will be in awe of the respective choice forever.

Oh, by the by, McL for me too....
Old 21st April 2011, 14:59   #26
BHPian

@mayankk: I wont agree that these are the hypercar territory, both are nearly a second slower when it comes to hypercars like Veyron supersport etc... its still a supercar category but the top-end in it.
Italia, people are raving high as its a proper looker by ferrari after a very long time. McLaren, people are raving high as its another one by McLaren after a very long time. Both doesnt seem to have much of a difference, but in the category, McL is the best.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Anything with a name tag that reads 'McLaren' evoques images of the original F1. A car that was so out of this world; it still boggles your mind today. To think of it arriving on the scene in 1992 makes your eye blink. Its statistics are awesome even now. Imagine how ground-shattering they were back then. And it looks good too. Yeah, The Mclaren F1. Sigh!

But the MP4-12C has nothing to offer you of the outrageousness that the F1 was. Not a single thing that makes it stand out (they could've atleast given it a gold-plated engine compartment). McLaren as a brand is about doing things differently, very differently. The MP4-12C is all but slightly out of the mainstream. And it's not like one will be shown at an art museum any time soon. So, to get an answer to the question Stratos asked; it takes one simple test.

Close your eyes. Do it. Imagine having no memory at all. No sights, sounds, feelings, nil, blank. Do that. Now open your eyes to find these two cars parked before you. Now ask yourself - "Which would you touch first?"

I know which one I'd touch, and it's the prancing horse.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Now this one's a tough call. The 458 is flamboyant and a bit bonkers, and all the better for it. The McLaren, on the other hand, is a practical technological showcase, built to show what can be done on a road-car with massive power. I have no doubt that with all the tech on board, the MP4-12C would be a bit faster than the 458 on a track, and because its not Italian, it'll be less prone to catching fire, and not starting. But to me, a supercar is more than that. Its about the feeling it gives to the onlookers, and how it becomes a pin-up in the bedroom walls of future petrolheads. On that count, the 458 is miles ahead of the slightly clinical McLaren.
Chances are if I had money to buy one, I'd probably also be able to afford the other. But for the sake of this poll, the 458 pips the McLaren, but only just.
P.S. I can't wait to see a road and track comparo of these two cars. Hope TG get working on it
Old 21st April 2011, 19:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Gift me and I will happily accept any or both

If I need to buy, I will certainly buy the italia. If numbers and only numbers were to be considered I will soup the GTR and save a packet to play.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:07   #30
BHPian

I voted the 458,for obvious reasons.This is the only supercar among the current crop of production cars that I wish to buy someday(Please,God!).

Mclaren,well,is too technical and clinical for my taste.Yes,if outright numbers are what anyone is after,the Mclaren would be it.Aesthetically,I do not find the MP4 enticing or appealing in any way.It feels and looks like a pure racer,period! Actually,I have never liked the looks of the Mclaren F1,either.And the MP4 just reminds of the old F1.

That said,I still respect and love the F1 for what it is.And,I believe,I feel the same for its so-called successor,MP4 too.

But,both of these cars fall short in front of a Murcielago or a 458 in terms of desirability.Something is missing!

Phew! That was one long debate..

Most Viewed