Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 16:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1.6litre engines revving only 12000rpm in F1 cars from 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^agreed Ban wind tunnels cause all the new super cars look alike

If all cars have the same aero kit it will look like the A1 Grand Prix.
Not really, they could still use CFD to develop their limited aero needs.

On the engine front, the current 2.4Ltr V8 should be bare minimum in terms of capacity. Not in favor of anything smaller.
Old 6th June 2011, 16:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

A turbocharged 1.6ltr V6 can match the power and torque of a Naturally Aspirated 2.4ltr V8. So i guess the cars wouldn't end up being slower. But they'd surely sound different.

Shan2nu
Old 6th June 2011, 16:36   #33
BHPian

The teams opposing 1.6L engines are also the ones who opposed fixed budgets. I think its a better idea to have emission sensors in racecar exausts, and if you go over a specified limit at any point in the race, you get an automatic drive thru penalty.

Electric only in the pit is a great idea in that sense. There is no reason for the cars to slow down with smaller engines and this is exctly the kind of tech now making it to road cars, like 1.2 TSI or 1.4 TFSI engines. Soon enough 1.6L road car engines would make 300 bhp at 5-6K RPM and spew under 100 g Co2/Km. The old engines like V10 and V8 are no longer relevant for most car manufacturers.

For ferrari, it is the stubbornness of not being able to show its customers that number of cylinders is immaterial in an otherwise perfect racecar. But if they exit, F1 would be ruled by the likes of Red Bull, with no interest in road cars, meaning the technology will not percolate down.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

^Nipun: Red Bull is essentially a Jaguar F1 team rechristened as its the major promoter as Ford exited in 2004 . They currently use Renault engines, I am sure they have arrangement of their own to sell the specific technology. RB glory is only due to its aero kit by certain Mr. Newey Lotus and some more are already willing to buy the gearbox tech etc.

Automatic penalties you say, it will be good to see most drivers doing circles after each long straight, else the sport becomes too slow to be fast edged.

A good spectator sport is where there is lot of drama, up's and down's and no one team wins it all. A good amalgamation of various strict rules but flexibility for fuel/tyre/KERS and DRS will make the driver go faster and still be safe will lead to more F1 fans.

Porsche has developed a better KERS system while using it on the grid of GT cars. It took them 2+ years to finish the race, this year they might as well win the Le Mans. F1 will follow suit. It will be all good for spectator sport. Once the recovery system is stable it soon be used in mass market products. Even Rolls-Royce is trying to crack the pure electric way.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
A turbocharged 1.6ltr V6 can match the power and torque of a Naturally Aspirated 2.4ltr V8. So i guess the cars wouldn't end up being slower. But they'd surely sound different.

Shan2nu
Power & Performance compared to the current spec, I agree the TC'ed engines might even prove better.

But anything less than a V8 is no good to be in F1. I still miss the good old days of the V12 & V10 and I am sure I dont want to be left missing the V8 as well!

And if the engineers are given the flexibility on the engine development, I am sure they can bring more environment friendly and equally performing V8s. Its not that only the TC'ed engines can!
Old 7th June 2011, 10:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

^ thats the whole debate, FIA now has fixed and lower budgets for a fairplay scenario for more teams to compete. If the budgets are not fixed and testing open all year round then richer teams will surge ahead. New engine development is expensive and time consuming and so we are in a new era of F1.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:43   #37
BHPian

If anyone was following F1 since turbo engine era, I want to know what was reason for F1 to ban those engines and bring V10's

My guess is that they were proving to be a handful with relation to power produced

Also of we go to see past 5 or 6 years, FIA is changing rules just too much. This kind of knee jerk reactions is no good for F1

The worst rule would be the single tyre rule in 2005
Old 7th June 2011, 21:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
My guess is that they were proving to be a handful with relation to power produced

Also of we go to see past 5 or 6 years, FIA is changing rules just too much. This kind of knee jerk reactions is no good for F1
Exactly, i would love to see the look on the drivers face when the turbo kicks in mid corner in the wet

I think FIA is trying to improve formula 1, as you know since the past years overtaking had decreased significantly, but they need to think of a long strategy rather than a trial-hit method, the budget cap is a very good rule. Because of which we saw many new teams in the past two seasons.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Exactly, i would love to see the look on the drivers face when the turbo kicks in mid corner in the wet

I think FIA is trying to improve formula 1, as you know since the past years overtaking had decreased significantly, but they need to think of a long strategy rather than a trial-hit method, the budget cap is a very good rule. Because of which we saw many new teams in the past two seasons.
I think FIA is still confused
Its still not clear what kind of parameters are set for the development of 1.6 Turbo engines.
Not sure how long will they be allowed to be developed

Except for Lotus, I don't see anything good happening with other teams (HRT, Virgin)

FIA should stabilize rules, should encourage more and more traditional race tracks, should allow and encourage development in other aspects of the car (engine, KERS, tyres) rather then only aerodynamics

Basically make racing little less complicated and more fun to watch

I started following F1 from 97 or 98 I guess. The years when there was Mika - Schumi and Mika - Irvene duels was the best time for F1 for me.

I am sure it was all the more better in the Senna era. Basically last 2 or 3 years of F1 has been very boring for me. Even Schumi making a comeback could not bring back the excitement but I am happy to see a team like Redbull doing better then Mclaren and Ferrari
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

1.6litre engines revving only 12000rpm in F1 cars from 2014!

The switch to 1.6-litre V6 turbo power-units has been delayed until 2014. This is pending approval in a fax vote of the World Council of FIA which is likely to be a formality.

Read more here autosport.com - F1 News: F1 agrees to delay engine rules to 2014
Old 21st July 2011, 18:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

FIA confirms 15,000rpm rev limit from 2014 season

Source : FIA confirms 15,000rpm rev limit from 2014 season - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

FIA confirms 15,000rpm rev limit from 2014 season

The FIA has confirmed that a 15,000rpm rev limit will be imposed on Formula 1 engines from 2014 onwards.

Teams will switch from the current 2.4-litre naturally-aspirated V8s to V6 1.6-litre turbos in 2014. However, there had been concerns that the originally-planned rev limit of 12,000 rpm would detract from the spectacle.

Confirmation of the increase to 15,000, which formed part of the 2014 F1 Technical Regulations released by the FIA yesterday, will go some way toward allaying those fears.

Other changes include the requirement for drivers to be able to start the cars themselves, rather than relying on external starters.

Regulation 5.18 states: "It must be possible for the driver to start the engine at any time when seated normally at the wheel and without any external assistance."

The new rules also place an increasing importance upon alternative energy systems, including a requirement for cars to be operative entirely under electrical power when in pitlane.

According to rule 5.19: "The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane."

Other areas to be affected by the change include the transmission, with a mandatory eight-speed gearbox to be introduced.

So no more stalled engine and race exit.

Hope this spec / new regulation will add spice to F1.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 21st July 2011, 23:02   #42
BHPian

See the changes to the rules in full on the FIA’s website
The technical rules for 2014 published by the FIA state Teams will be able to use both kinetic energy recovery and, for the first time, also recover energy from exhaust heat.
The kinetic element of the system will be twice as powerful as that used today with 120kW available.
The rules also define the new 1.6-litre V6 engines which will be introduced.They will retain the same 90-degree V-angle, and be restricted to a maximum fuel flow of 100kg/h.
The design, dimensions and materials used in the new engines are defined in more specific terms by the rules than the current V8s, which were introduced in 2006.

A minimum weight for the power unit (including the engine and energy recovery system) has been set at 155kg – previously the engine alone was subject to a minimum weight of 95kg.

An addition to the rules on bodywork will reduce the size of front wings. At present these may use the full 1,800mm width of the cars – from 2014 they will be cut to 1,650mm.
Further tightening of restrictions at the front and rear of the car, and around the middle of the car to continue the work begun in the 2009 regulations changes to ‘clean up’ the appearance of the cars and reduce the number of small aerodynamic appendages.

The number of forward gears will be increased to eight – and no fewer.

Last edited by aditya116 : 21st July 2011 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks