Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:22   #1
BHPian

1.6litre engines revving only 12000rpm in F1 cars from 2013!

Well the subject says it all! To think that even formula 1 was moved by Suzuki's "kitna deti Hai" ad is disappointing to say the least! I guess teams will try as hard as possible to extract the same amount of power from these engines as the current ones, I don't see it happening. Simply because to the best of my knowledge, the current 2.4l engines are as efficient as they get. Getting the same performance out of an engine which as only 2/3rds the size and running 2/3rd the rpm is, IMHO, impossible!
Formula 1
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1.6litre engines revving only 12000rpm in F1 cars from 2013!

It is not yet finalized. The FIA wants to stress the need for smaller peppier punchier engines to showcase sensitivity towards environment, paves way for more technology for cars. Maybe hybrids too will be allowed; KERS providing much fun already.

However, many (read: Ferrari) oppose as their clients wont move from V8 to to puny V6.

IMHO: Technology knows no bounds, laws of physics have been bended earlier as well. This also flattens the field for many competitors. I personally feel mixed emotions as V8s will be missed but I also gleefully rejoice as this might pave way for the turbo/super charged monsters from Ayrton's times
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
It is not yet finalized. The FIA wants to stress the need for smaller peppier punchier engines to showcase sensitivity towards environment, paves way for more technology for cars. Maybe hybrids too will be allowed; KERS providing much fun already.

However, many (read: Ferrari) oppose as their clients wont move from V8 to to puny V6.

IMHO: Technology knows no bounds, laws of physics have been bended earlier as well. This also flattens the field for many competitors. I personally feel mixed emotions as V8s will be missed but I also gleefully rejoice as this might pave way for the turbo/super charged monsters from Ayrton's times
Please explain how Ferrari's customers are going to affected if this change materializes? its not like the f458 uses the same engine as the f150th!
Old 4th June 2011, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

^thats right, 458 does not use the same engine but most of the components made for F1 has found its way into it. The affiliation of the elite towards more powerful engines is unwavering. F1 is an entertainment sport, FIA has been time and again threatened by the major teams that if the rules are not reconsidered they might opt for another series. I hope you follow the sport closely to have caught on with the undercurrent.

Latest read for you.
Old 4th June 2011, 15:24   #5
BHPian

I think this decision, if implemented, would be ludacris.

It'd make more sense to make NASCAR more environmental friendly by asking them to use Fuel injection and smaller engines.

F1 has already gone through a series of downgrading in the size of engines and rev limiting and I think the current configuration is the best trade off between performance and emission.
Even with the reintroduction of turbos, I doubt if the proposed engine design would give an average enthusiast the thrill and excitement the current or previous gen F1 car engines gave.
Old 4th June 2011, 18:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I don't see it happening. Simply because to the best of my knowledge, the current 2.4l engines are as efficient as they get. Getting the same performance out of an engine which as only 2/3rds the size and running 2/3rd the rpm is, IMHO, impossible!
Formula 1
They will be turbocharged; twin turbos. It is quite possible that they will extract more power out of those 1.6l engines than they do with the 2.4 V8s. It is pretty obvious that you have only got involved in F1 pretty recently as during the turbo era, 1.6l qualifying engines routinely produced 1500 hp at around 12,000 RPM, and race engines produced around 600-900 horsepower. Surely they have learnt a lot since then to produce even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
I think this decision, if implemented, would be ludacris.
LOL. Ludacris.

Quote:
Even with the reintroduction of turbos, I doubt if the proposed engine design would give an average enthusiast the thrill and excitement the current or previous gen F1 car engines gave.
The average enthusiast doesn't know the difference between natural aspiration and forced induction. Nor would an average enthusiast care about the engine itself.
Old 4th June 2011, 19:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post

LOL. Ludacris.

The average enthusiast doesn't know the difference between natural aspiration and forced induction. Nor would an average enthusiast care about the engine itself.
Okay "Ludicrous". Happy?

I beg to disagree on that.
I consider myself to be an average F1 enthusiast and I very well understand the difference b/w NA and FI.

F1 will not be the same and IMO become less fast paced and boring with the smaller engines and lower rev limits.

Waiting to hear the opinion of the drivers and teams.
Old 4th June 2011, 19:54   #8
BHPian

Ditch the front and rear wings, double diffuser, ditch the traction control, give them 1500hp turbocharged engines, and who says there will be no fun ?
Old 4th June 2011, 20:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Ditch the front and rear wings, double diffuser, ditch the traction control, give them 1500hp turbocharged engines, and who says there will be no fun ?
Your idea sounds good, but squeezing out 1500 BHP from a 1.6L Turbo charged engine is going to be a problem.
Old 4th June 2011, 20:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Guess one will have to pee more on the block! Or there might be regulations for that too.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th June 2011, 21:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your idea sounds good, but squeezing out 1500 BHP from a 1.6L Turbo charged engine is going to be a problem.
F1 engineers were doing it in the 1980s. Why would it be a problem today?
Old 4th June 2011, 22:28   #12
BHPian

F1 captures the essence of man's fascination for its four legged creation. It has parented and perfected technology before it could be introduced into mainstream motoring. The direction FIA is pursuing is logical, in times when fuel is getting scarce and expensive. Have more optimal smaller block engines is a move in the right direction with focus on energy recovery eg. KERS. Hybrids are not far away. Way the dollar per barrel graph is gearing upwards that day is not far away when V10's and V12's will be found more in museums than on roads.
Old 4th June 2011, 22:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

So F1 engines will essentially become hyper-tuned versions of their road-going counterparts. Despite maximum "innovation" to get the highest power from these engines, thats not the same as the earlier F1 jingle of being at the cutting-edge of automotive technology.
Old 4th June 2011, 23:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
F1 engineers were doing it in the 1980s. Why would it be a problem today?
Although the engines were capable of up to an alleged 1500HP during the qualifiers, that much power was seldom available in the races AFAIK.

Besides, the regulations have become so stringent, squeezing that much power out will be an issue due to other clauses in the rules.
Old 4th June 2011, 23:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nobody has talked about squeezing 1500 bhp from a 1.6L engine,no point arguing about that.But rest be assured F1 always moves forward and just because its 1.6L.they would have sufficient power to be as good(and as fast) as todays 2.4L if not better.

Turbo power would also mean subtle changes in driving skill which would be nice to watch.Most f1 forums in the net have been endlessly debating about turbo vs NA,and both camps have got some strong points.

Also FIA was talking about a regulation that cars should run only on electric power in pitlanes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks