Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 03:54   #31
BHPian

Re: F1 2011 - Canadian Grand Prix MONTREAL

Guys, I am new to F1 racing. Could you please help me in understanding why MS did not use DRS himself when Jenson and Webber were overtaking him? Why he allowed them to pass through?

I know the cars are different but how can they be so different? I mean it look so easy on TV as if a R8 is overtaking an old M800. If the car are really that different then isn't it car skills rather than driver skills which make them world champion.

Last edited by erohit : 13th June 2011 at 03:56.
Old 13th June 2011, 04:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
Guys, I am new to F1 racing. Could you please help me in understanding why MS did not use DRS himself when Jenson and Webber were overtaking him? Why he allowed them to pass through?

I know the cars are different but how can they be so different? I mean it look so easy on TV as if a R8 is overtaking an old M800. If the car are really that different then isn't it car skills rather than driver skills which make them world champion.
IIRC MercF1 are having trouble with their DRS rear wing and decided not to use it to avoid losing the rear wing altogether. Also KERS was not used because of packaging issues.
Old 13th June 2011, 04:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
IIRC MercF1 are having trouble with their DRS rear wing and decided not to use it to avoid losing the rear wing altogether. Also KERS was not used because of packaging issues.
LOL! Rubbish! No offence, but that is absolutely wrong.

1. The car being overtaken cannot use DRS. Only the car that is behind can use DRS, and only if he is 1.0 seconds behind the car in front.

2. KERS was very much being used by the Mercedes Cars.

EDIT: Schumacher was very much using DRS when he was behind Webber in the last few laps.

I am a hardcore Ferrari fan, but I have to say, Button deserved this win.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 13th June 2011 at 04:30.
Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 08:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a thriller! The Regenmeister simply rolled back the years.

Bravo Michael Bravo!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 08:49   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! What a thriller! The Regenmeister simply rolled back the years.

Bravo Michael Bravo!

You Bet.

If not for the last 2 safety car incidents. MS would surely have taken a podium finish. But thats OK, many of them had already written him off, this race was a TIGHT SLAP on many a faces.

Vettel just blew it up in the last corner, Massa again proved that he's not got back his driving agression after his accident couple of years ago.

Its better not to discuss Hamilton here, he once again made a joker of himself. Similar can be said about Alonso.... No damage to the car and he was out of the race.

Force India committed too many mistakes.

But all that 4 odd hours was too much to ask for. WHAT A RACE..

BTW... Doesnt it look like Jenson got away a bit too easily after 2 incidents.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th June 2011 at 08:52.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Great race! Delight for Button, disappointment for Vettel. But the positivefrom Vettel's point-of-view is that he now has an even bigger lead in the WDC.

Fact is that without safety cars, Button probably would not have got close to Vettel in the closing laps. But then, a lot of people also believe that safety car saved Vettel in Monaco.

Webber: Recovered well after being part of a first corner incident. Although I think his two mistakes (in two laps?) while trying to overtake MS cost not just him, but Vettel too. I think he was without KERS, so that makes his efforts seem even better.

MS: For a while I thought he might even get close to Vettel. Must be a disappointment to finish 4th after being 2nd so close to the end of the race. I guess he was able to keep Webber behind for as long as he did because Webber did not have KERS, he was a sitting duck when Jenson was behind.

Alonso: Somehow, the Ferrari did not seem as good in the race as qualifying suggested. Unlucky to have made a tyre stop for intermediates just before it started pouring. Incident with Button was probably 50-50, although I think Alonso closed the door a bit too late.

Massa: I think he spend a bit too much time bottled behind Kobayashi, but the overtaking on the start-finish straight with the chequered flag in sight provided some entertainment.

Hamilton: I thought he might get into an incident after seeing the first few laps of the race - and he did. Hopefully, he had the time to think long and hard about his driving in the last two races. Everyone praises him for being an aggressive overtaker, but I think he has taken that reputation a bit too seriously for his own good.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:18   #37
BANNED

Sometimes i feel Redbull never had a strategy running for this race.

It was evident that Jenson had a fantastic speed, they should have asked Webber to hold Jenson back for atleast for few more laps, That would have saved Vettel's day.

It could have put MS on the podium too...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92311

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th June 2011 at 10:24.
Old 13th June 2011, 11:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
It was evident that Jenson had a fantastic speed, they should have asked Webber to hold Jenson back for atleast for few more laps, That would have saved Vettel's day.
Without KERS, Webber would've found it very difficult to hold Jenson. Even MS - with KERS - had absolutely no chance to put up a fight with Jenson when Jenson enabled DRS. That said, Webber made it easy for Jenson to overtake him by making a mistake while himself trying to overtake MS.

I don't know if RB simply didn't have the pace or was Vettel taking it a bit easy thinking that Jenson would not get close enough? I mean, why was he not able to get a bigger gap to MS while MS was holding Webber and Jenson back? I think that's probably where RB lost the race.
Old 13th June 2011, 11:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Its better not to discuss Hamilton here, he once again made a joker of himself. Similar can be said about Alonso.... No damage to the car and he was out of the race.
I quote Jenson Button here "Lewis knows that I didn't do it on purpose, and I know that he didn't do it on purpose either".
There were a lot of accidents in the race, why single out Lewis? He was aggressive, but thats the way he drives.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:04   #40
BHPian

What an absolutely mindblowing race. Made the staying up late really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Without KERS, Webber would've found it very difficult to hold Jenson. Even MS - with KERS - had absolutely no chance to put up a fight with Jenson when Jenson enabled DRS. That said, Webber made it easy for Jenson to overtake him by making a mistake while himself trying to overtake MS.

I don't know if RB simply didn't have the pace or was Vettel taking it a bit easy thinking that Jenson would not get close enough? I mean, why was he not able to get a bigger gap to MS while MS was holding Webber and Jenson back? I think that's probably where RB lost the race.
Red Bull werent dominant in race trim at Canada. The Mclaren team was obviously stronger through the race. Also, Schumacher was driving the wheels off the Mercedes but was still losing 0.8 - 0.9 a lap to Vettel. Mclaren have had better race pace in China, Monaco ,Turkey, Australia and Canada.

The DRS at this circuit was a joke. The section where it was enabled was simply too long and there was no way a driver could defend at all. Before DRS was enabled, we got to saw some real strategic racing from Schumacher, Webber and Button. Schumacher was brilliantly covering his bases all the time while Webber had no clue how to get past, especially with the single file racing line. Once DRS got enabled it was a mere formality. A crying shame for racing honestly.

If it rained for a few more laps we might have seen a Schumacher win, it was very possible. He was the fastest man on inters.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

It is high time Mr. Steve Slater takes a voluntary retirement. Earlier, he could never make out between two team mates in race situations. And now he can’t even differentiate between teams and he simply doesn’t know who is where on track. Yesterday he was certain for such a long time that Nico’ Mercedes was a Williams. I know it is hard to make out cars in the wet, but if one were to keep track of who is battling whom, it’s not that difficult. And it is his job for crying out loud.

He makes too many mistakes every race. And I am sick and tired of hearing “Drama” and “Mano-a-mano” repeatedly on race weekends.

Where is Chris Goodwin gone? And Karun Chandhok. Even though a bit drab, he talks a lot more sense. ESPN Star could be much better off without Slater. So, please Mr. Slater, do us a favor and retire. We simply deserve better.

And trust me on this one; if you manage to follow the awesome BBC team for even a single race, you’ll never have the grit to un-mute the ESPN Star coverage. Just the video from F1 central with a Lady Gaga song on repeat will be much better off!

@ Mods, please move the post if not appropriate here.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

WoW! What a thrilling race...

Rainmaster showed what he is when it was everything about the driver and little about the car. Awesome, I am just loving it!

Hamilton - dont want to drag a discussion and waste space here but he should stop this attitude before he gets someone killed on the track. Loved it when Michael showed him the way to go around the U turn

Kudos to Button, Vettel & Webber for the podiums!

Massa & Koba fight to the line was awesome!

@deetjohn, I am handing a petition to the dude when I get to meet him next time. Steve Slater has to go!
Old 13th June 2011, 15:21   #43
BHPian

A dry circuit will put the usual suspects squarely where they belong.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
So a wet circuit squarely put the usual suspect squarely to where he belonged?
Old 13th June 2011, 15:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
I am sure.
Its just a matter of time before mclaren catches up.
In the meantime, the usual glee of the mclaren team/driver bashing will continue.

Most Viewed