Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 14:59   #91
BHPian

Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

He is soo annyoing, i rate him next to only Justin Bieber's "Baby"... and JB himself

in fact, i simply watch the races on mute. preferring to unmute when there's driver-team pit radio played.
Old 16th July 2012, 15:54   #92
BHPian

Steve Slater has to be one of the most fundamentally incompetent commentators in any televised sport today. When it comes to commentating, this guy would be out of his depth in a puddle.

You can forget about him providing insights into strategy and tactics, the guy isn't even able to correctly identify drivers in their cars. His style of 'commentating' basically involves reporting what live coverage is showing us on the screen in the first place:

"I have a sneaky feeling that Mclaren will be pitting either Jenson or Lewis this lap."

I know that already, you retard. You know how?? They just showed the Mclaren pit crew standing out in the pitbox with 4 tyres, thats how!!
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 16:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
I think during the early days of Star Sports in India we had Jonathan Green in the studio and Murray Walker for the live commentary for F1, if my memory serves me right.
Yes, we had Jonathan Green in the studio but the commentators were Allan McNish and Andy Smith. The channel then was known as Prime Sports. The pre-race and post-race studio presentations were far better than what we have at present. The slow motion videos with some good music were a real treat! As far as I know, Murray Walker only commented for the BBC and ITV. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

If you guys cannot stream the actual race due to low bandwidth, I would advise all of you to mute Star Sports and stream Radio 5 Live commentary, which is headed by James Allen with Jaime Algersuari to provide the color commentary.

I stream BBC on the weekends where it is covering the races (10 out of the 20, I believe), and Sky Sports for the weekends where there is no BBC coverage.

Haven't watched a single race on Star Sports this year and I feel sorry for you guys after reading what Steve Slater has been upto, as usual.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

@Pranavt: Where do you stream from? And is it accessible from India?
Old 20th July 2012, 22:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

I cannot provide you the information as it is copyright infringement. But yes, it is accessible from within India.

You can use Google. Shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to figure out how.
Old 21st July 2012, 13:08   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
I think during the early days of Star Sports in India we had Jonathan Green in the studio and Murray Walker for the live commentary for F1, if my memory serves me right. Though Walker was quite excitable, him and Green were miles better than Slater.

JG still does live commentary for the World Superbikes Series. Have very fond memories of him during the famous Foggy era when I used root for a crazy Italian called Pierfrancesco Chili.
Another Chili fan! yeah I rooted for him too, and later for Max Biaggi.

JG and Walker were there for a short while if I remember, the murray-isms were much better than the drivel SS dishes out these days.Still, I cannot watch without commentary so need to grin n bear him.
Old 21st July 2012, 17:05   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Yes, we had Jonathan Green in the studio but the commentators were Allan McNish and Andy Smith. The channel then was known as Prime Sports. The pre-race and post-race studio presentations were far better than what we have at present. The slow motion videos with some good music were a real treat! As far as I know, Murray Walker only commented for the BBC and ITV. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
I could very well be wrong about Murray Walker. It was from a long time ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Another Chili fan! yeah I rooted for him too, and later for Max Biaggi.

JG and Walker were there for a short while if I remember, the murray-isms were much better than the drivel SS dishes out these days.Still, I cannot watch without commentary so need to grin n bear him.
Chili at Monza was something else. Those were the golden days of cable having just started in India and I was finally able to see some of the people I have idolized only in photographs and articles in Sportstar now live on television. Beattie, Schwantz etc., it was just an awesome feeling.

My favourite SS is his standard line: "race full of drama" as the standard line for every race, even if it was a procession like the Rajdhani Express passing through a small station. I'm OK with missing names and odds and ends there, you should see the ire that Eddie Jordan and gang gets on PF1 for the gaffes they make. But the fake over the top stuff is intolerable.

Quali starts in 30-minutes. Time for more SS classics.

On the plus side, Karun has just tweeted that he'll be joining SS for at least qualifying commentary today, which is good news.

Go, Kimi!
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:07   #99
BHPian

SS is becoming unbearable day by day. But, its very boring to watch F1 without any audio. Wish ESPN Star retires him atleast for the 2013 season.

Karun is doing a good job in the commentary box and is predicting pretty well.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:05   #100
BHPian

The dear old Steve Slater. Karun saves the day for me. Otherwise I mentally block Steve Slater from the scene, he is so forgetful, confused or just too old for the job.

Cant listen to Jonathan Green either, he seems to be more suited to cricket commentary on the radio or horse racing, the way his pitch rises and falls.
Attached Thumbnails
Steve Slater's blunders during commentary-steveslaterf1ppl.jpg  

Last edited by Blue_V : 24th July 2012 at 08:08.
Old 29th July 2012, 20:33   #101
BHPian

Today during the race, Steve was talking about how close Jenson Button and a Redbull behind were, but actually that was a Lotus behind!!! He insisted it was a Redbull at least 3-4 times!! Its written "Red bull" in bright red on the side of the car; how could he make such a mistake??
I wish Chris Goodwin had not left commentary. He was a very good neutral commentator. As far as I recollect, he joined Mclaren.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:32   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Today during the race, Steve was talking about how close Jenson Button and a Redbull behind were, but actually that was a Lotus behind!!! He insisted it was a Redbull at least 3-4 times!! Its written "Red bull" in bright red on the side of the car; how could he make such a mistake??
I wish Chris Goodwin had not left commentary. He was a very good neutral commentator. As far as I recollect, he joined Mclaren.
He can't read what's on the screen or on the car. Romain Gosjean spun in FP2. Steve and mark mentioned it was Raikkonen and then started talking about his comeback. They showed 4 replays with Romain Grosjean's name again and again. These morons did not even bother to read and started blabbering how kimi took too much kerb, blah blah blah. Star sports commentary is utter rubbish.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:23   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-pg View Post
He can't read what's on the screen or on the car. Romain Gosjean spun in FP2. Steve and mark mentioned it was Raikkonen and then started talking about his comeback. They showed 4 replays with Romain Grosjean's name again and again. These morons did not even bother to read and started blabbering how kimi took too much kerb, blah blah blah. Star sports commentary is utter rubbish.
Well he confused Raikkonen for Grosjean in the race as well, when Massa and Raikkonen were going at it after Massa's pitstop. It is a terrible mistake to make over and over again. And this happened for a full lap !
Old 30th October 2012, 12:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

Did he write the race report for TOI (Monday)?

Apparently, Ricciardo's Williams hit someone and Mercedes replaced Schumacher with Button this weekend!! Such glaring mistakes, these idiots don't deserve to cover this sport!
Old 30th October 2012, 14:11   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Well he confused Raikkonen for Grosjean in the race as well, when Massa and Raikkonen were going at it after Massa's pitstop. It is a terrible mistake to make over and over again. And this happened for a full lap !
Yes, that was a terrible mistake considering that Massa and Raikkonen were together right from Lap 1 and Raikkonen pitted little earlier than Massa.
Why are they not looking for a replacement?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks