Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 17:01   #1
BHPian

Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

I looked for a thread related to this, seems like there is no thread with this at all. It would be really nice to list out all the (obvious) mistakes he makes while calling a race, and look at it at the end of the year. So here goes.

Let me start with the two most glaring mistakes that immediately come to my mind :
1. Canada 2011 (only because its the most recent) : Mistook the Williams of Pastor Maldonado for Nico Rosberg from Mercedes. For the uninitiated, here is the difference between the two :

Maldonado :

Rosberg :

There is not even a remote similarity between the two !

2. Brazil 2008 : The mother of all mistakes : While Martin Brundle and James Allen knew all along that Timo Glock was losing time every sector to Lewis Hamilton (remember Hamilton had to overtake Glock at the last lap to win the championship) and that a pass was expected, poor ol' Steve had no clue why Lewis finished in 5th and why Glock was so slow. He was screaming "Massa has won the WDC" all over the place while James Allen immediately was able to point out that Glock was on Slicks so he was losing 3 seconds per sector. I thought for a long time after the race that Glock slowed on purpose when infact he was going as fast as he could !

Any more ? (I'm sure you guys remember loads)
Old 14th June 2011, 17:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

Ah, If we were to list out all the mistakes that Steve does, we would be having a very large thread. The guy should have retired long ago, I mean atleast 10 years ago.

I don't remember any specific examples right now, but I remember one race where the leading car was on a one stop strategy which everyone with half a brain could see , but Steve kept yapping on about how he would have to stop again, till there were only like 3-4 laps remaining .
Old 14th June 2011, 18:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Ah, If we were to list out all the mistakes that Steve does, we would be having a very large thread. The guy should have retired long ago, I mean atleast 10 years ago.

I don't remember any specific examples right now, but I remember one race where the leading car was on a one stop strategy which everyone with half a brain could see , but Steve kept yapping on about how he would have to stop again, till there were only like 3-4 laps remaining .
Well I was thinking more along the lines of a "tracker" thread, where we add mistakes as we go on from this point onwards.

You know, list out his errors after every race or qualifying session, would be real fun to look back at it after a while [/sadistic pleasure]
Old 14th June 2011, 19:33   #4
BHPian

The Williams vs Mercedes was pretty shocking to me. And he repeated it (more than twice if I remember correctly). Every race he is making a couple of stupid comments.

Some comments (not mistakes) which I am thoroughly irritated with:

Every race when we see a safety car situation: 'The safety car is being driven on the limit/the wheels are being driven off that safety car but the F1 cars are being driven in second gear.'

Towards the end of race: 'XX is resting his head on the sidewalls of the cockpit because he is very tired (the driver is driving normally though).'

Towards the end of race again: 'The grandstand has xxxx seats but not one is being used because the spectators are all standing.'

I sometimes mute the TV so that I don't have to listen to all that. ESPN Star can definitely do better than that.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:49   #5
BANNED

1) That irritating commentry which interrupts the drivers Radio Communication during the race.

2) Diverts unwanted topics during the race telecast, makes us not to listen to that fantastic engines...

3) No excitement created

4) Mixes up with Drivers and teams...

Sick and tired to put the volume up these days.....
Old 14th June 2011, 20:33   #6

You guys should watch the BBC broadcast of the F1 races. The BEST in the world! I have literally started to hate the ESPN versions now. Oh and, there are no commercial breaks on the BBC
Old 14th June 2011, 20:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, he messed up between Mark Webber and Vettel thrice during the Canadian GP. Thrice!

Chris Goodwin was much better.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:39   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You guys should watch the BBC broadcast of the F1 races. The BEST in the world! I have literally started to hate the ESPN versions now. Oh and, there are no commercial breaks on the BBC
Thats very interesting cyrus..

Is this telecasted normally or you need to subscribe...?

Please let us know what channel of BBC it is...?
Old 14th June 2011, 20:42   #9

I can see it for free coz im in London. But Im sure you can see a stream online. Im sure you cant see the thing on the Television in India.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

I stream BBC commentary with Star Sports HD feed on my TV

Steve Slater is beyond a joke. Almost every 3rd sentence he utters is filled with utter crap. Same phrases, mistaking drivers across teams, not understanding strategies at all, speculating insane stuff, etc. He should retire.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:59   #11
BANNED

Yeah Steve Slater does make a lot of errors. But I like the commentary of his, Gary Anderson and Alex Yoong because they're very informative. You'll actually learn a lot more about F1 and F1 cars listening to them.
Old 15th June 2011, 00:15   #12
BHPian

The previous race in monaco: when massa crashed in the tunnel, steve blamed him for trying to overtake hamilton in the tunnel while massa was already ahead going into the tunnel and had actually crashed due to the damage to his car by the reckless driving of hamilton
Old 15th June 2011, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Gary Anderson is good because he has actually raced and built cars professionally, including for F1 teams like Jordan.

Alex Yoong is useless as a commentator. He did commentary for a few races before he was chucked off to be a presenter. He only appears smart because the rest of the commentators (barring Anderson) are monumentally useless.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:55   #14
BHPian

^ Absolutely agree with that. I too didn't find Alex Yoong & Karun Chandok any good as commentators. IMO the best commentator ESPN Star had (during the last decade or so) was Chris Goodwin.
Old 15th June 2011, 15:03   #15
BHPian

I think we need to start a petition to bring back Chris Goodwin. He was an awesome commentator. I think Karun Chandok could turn out to be a good commentator too. He was on the BBC as a commentator during one session last year and he got very positive reviews. However, I hate it when he keeps mentioning his close relations with Bernie. Yeah, we know you got into F1 because of him, now stop already.

Steve Slater probably thinks that he is the Murray Walker of ESPN Star, but his mistakes are not even funny anymore.

Most Viewed