Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 19:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: F1 2011 - Germany -Nurburgring

Excellent race!!! Especially the fight for 1-2-3 between Hamilton, Alonso and Webber.
Finally Force India got a well deserved bunch of points. Hope they continue this show.
Old 24th July 2011, 20:04   #17
BANNED

Entertaining race. Too bad Webber didn't get a proper launch.This is perhaps the hundredth time he screwed up a p1 start due to an improper launch. He would have had the race had he started properly. Very unlucky driver. But then again maybe Hamilton would've hunted Webber down..we will never know.

Did anyone understand why it took Massa longer to pit at the second last lap? Was there any error or was it just Vettel's team that managed to finish the pit earlier?

And how did Karun lose control at the chicane? They haven't replayed that!

Last edited by D33-PAC : 24th July 2011 at 20:10.
Old 24th July 2011, 20:20   #18
mgh
BHPian

Finally Force India do well this season. Brilliant drive by Sutil, more than the two-stop strategy was responsible. He was the fastest of the two-stoppers by a wide margin. His closest challengers, the Mercedes duo found that they could not keep him back, even though he changed to the harder tyre earlier.
Sutil was far from the pace of the top three constructors, Red Bull, McLaren, and Ferrari, but was faster than the rest, including Mercedes and Renault.
Vettel and Red bull, stiill remain too far ahead, to be worried.
It was a very close fight between Hamilton, Alonso, and Webber.
Thrilling race to watch
Old 24th July 2011, 23:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahhh....finally!!!
The stranglehold eases,the boredom gone.
Entertaining,and edge of the seat!!
Not just as a mclaren fan,but otherwise too.
Especially the last lap shenanigans between massa and vettel.
The resurgence is nice,though a lil late, but still good!
Old 25th July 2011, 00:22   #20
BHPian

Great, fascinating race! A super win for Hamilton. Finally, Vettel not on the podium for the first time this season! Good to see Force India do well here. Thrilling race to say the least!
Old 25th July 2011, 09:10   #21
BHPian

Go Force India ... Sixth position... Loved the race yesterday especially the last 5 laps saw people moving up and down the positions.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:20   #22
BHPian

One of the better races this season or for several seasons as a matter of fact. What a good performance by Sutil. Di Resta has done well too. Lets hope the same continues or even improve in Budapest!!!
Old 25th July 2011, 09:53   #23
BHPian

All is well! Great race and it was a delight seeing Hamilton rushing back to take the lead
And Webber again: what is it with him and launch? Sutil was brilliant and so was Roseberg/MSC.

What I don't understand is the last-lap-pit-stop-strategy!
Why would they both go in for a stop in the final lap? (I understand that Sutil was more than a minute slower than Vettel, but still I don't get the idea: won't the tires last or what? Please help me understand)
It had cost a dearer place for Massa and much more for Ferrari.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Why would they both go in for a stop in the final lap? (I understand that Sutil was more than a minute slower than Vettel, but still I don't get the idea: won't the tires last or what? Please help me understand)
I didnot see the race, but AFAIK they must have had to go on the options (tires) on this last lap.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:13   #25
BANNED

Quote:
From what I understand Ferrari kept Massa out hoping he could increase the gap between him and Vettel. And Vettel couldn't pit earlier because Mark Webber had to come in and Red Bull also thought Vettel could decrease the gap if they kept him out till lap 58.

At lap 58 Red Bull told Vettel to do the opposite of Massa during the last corner, that if Massa was to enter the pits, Vettel should stay out, and vice versa. There was some error there as Massa stayed out and Vettel also stayed out, perhaps he was already past the pit entrance when he heard the message.

As per rules, you have to make 3 pit stops per race, so they both had to come in at the lap 59 or be penalized. The pit stop the RBR crew pulled at the end was amazing.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 25th July 2011 at 10:18.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
As per rules, you have to make 3 pit stops per race, so they both had to come in at the lap 59 or be penalized. The pit stop the RBR crew pulled at the end was amazing.
Are you sure about this? Somewhere I read that only one pit stop is mandatory and many tail drivers just had two stops, including Sutil, IIRC.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:29   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Are you sure about this? Somewhere I read that only one pit stop is mandatory and many tail drivers just had two stops, including Sutil, IIRC.
Well I'm just saying what Steve Slater said. Because I was also wondering how foolish it seemed to have Webber come into the pits when he was leading the pack and have him throw away first place like that.By then he pitted twice. And then Gary Anderson said he would be penalized for not pitting.

But you are right, some haven't pitted thrice! Would anybody like to clarify?

Last edited by D33-PAC : 25th July 2011 at 10:33.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:35   #28
BHPian

Quite a bit of searching did answer: you gotta use both - med & soft tires unless and until the race is classified as a wet one. These guys were running on soft till the last lap and they pitted in for the med.

Last edited by hdnivara : 25th July 2011 at 10:44.
hdnivara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 10:40   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Quite a bit of searching did answer: you gotta use any two - hard/med/soft tires unless and until the race is classified as a wet one. These guys were running on soft till the last lap and they pitted in for the med.
I don't understand their strategy. If Webber survived 8 laps or something on his tires he would have bagged 1st. Tire usage is too complicated in F1.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:47   #30
BHPian

Awesome race. Literally you were on the edge of your seat. Immature driving by buemi to take Heidfield out, or else he was driving like a man possessed( Hamilton Like). The top three were literally driving the wheels off their car. Massa vs Vettel at the pit in the final lap was a treat.

However, the official F1 site shows both Webber and Button as 3rd on this page:

Formula 1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks