Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 10:28   #31
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One point - how did his helmet come off? Also,two fatalities in sort order, just brings out once again that motorsport is still a high risk activity.
Tyre marks were found on Sic's neck. The guess is that the helmet strap gave away due to the impact. You will probably visualize it in the video frame by frame but I don't have the nerve to watch it anymore.
JVH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 10:31   #32
BHPian

Its very shocking. One minute there is this larger than life, flamboyant character who is an exciting talent and the next minute he doesn't exist.

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli, you will be missed and remembered fondly always
Old 24th October 2011, 11:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Not to sound rude, but i felt Simo was too rash in riding his bike around the circuit with no respect for fellow riders or himself. An accident was definitely around the corner, and its sad it took his life.

Sure he died doing what he loved. How many can get such a chance.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not to sound rude, but i felt Simo was too rash in riding his bike around the circuit with no respect for fellow riders or himself. An accident was definitely around the corner, and its sad it took his life.

hey come on.
at least for this, lay off the criticism.
Had he lived, and caused some other sod to lose points, or cause an accident, ok.
It would be for the authorities and other teams to deem unfit, or boycott dangerous riders.
He fell well within the envelope, or he would have been kicked out.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:17   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I request that none of us ever degrade or talk bad about any rider in this sport. The fact that they lay there life on the line, as evident, is enough for me to appreciate and love what they do.

Simo just really pushed hard early on. His bike was moving around a lot during the first lap, up until the crash. He cleared off Edwards. I'm sure he wanted to stay up with the Repsols and not let them check out, and having Bautista's Suzuki dicing with him might have been disconcerting. He was pushing, battling hard, right on the edge. He was racing. He was a racer.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th October 2011 at 11:34.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 11:34   #36
BHPian

I missed the race yesterday and never bothered to check the results. I am unable to control my tears from seeing the newspaper this morning - he was one guy I thought, will rule the MotoGP world for years to come.

RIP #58 Super Sic - You will be missed.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:35   #37
BANNED

Quote:

There is always a very fine line between riding at the edge, and going over it.

I was not watching the race when this happened (Rugby WC was my first choice - Rugby a Game for Hooligans played by Gentlemen).

When I saw Red Flagged and then stopped I know what must have happened.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:55   #38
BHPian

I was shocked to read it in today's papers that Marco Simomcelli is no more! I was watching the 125 cc race and after that I had to go out and missed the rest of the races. Sad that we've lost a great racer at a young age. R.I.P. Marco..
Old 24th October 2011, 11:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some racers have that intimidating driving/riding style and they have ended up in the list of all time greats. Like Simo, in F1, Senna, Schumacher are all proper examples of this style. I prefer them to the conservative ones.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:01   #40
BHPian

Saw the race and saw it happen.

Generally, when a rider highsides, the bike flies off tangetially with the rider. However, unfortunately for Sic, although he lost control, the bike still had traction which caused him to veer towards the inner line.

Edwards & Rossi were racing each out out of the corner. Remember seeing Edwards' front tires hitting Sic around the neck which caused his helmet to shear off due the brute force. Remeber, those bikes would be doing 140+ around that corner. Right after that, there was one sickening aerial view showing Sic sprawling across the track. It was over, all over. Not sure how Edwards is handling this as well. Rossi is definitely broken down since he was right next. The helmet touched his ride as well.
The kid was young and talented! You just dont be a any rider to win the 250cc category which is even more closely fought. He had all the potentials.Alas.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I was watching the race live and saw the crash and little later saw that the race was cancelled then I knew something drastic has happened as race is usually never cancelled

Totally devasted to know the news and was following him and Hector Barbara from their 250cc days and I predicted Simoncelli to be the next Rossi as he has a similar aggressive riding style

It's still unbeilevable that the flamboyant rider is no more. May god bless his soul and thanks to him for giving us the opportunity to see some great races.

Yeah, I wouldnt go near a racetrack for a few months if I was Colin Edwards and Rossi....
Old 24th October 2011, 14:52   #42
BHPian

Big loss to the Motoring world.
He had won his 250cc world title 2008 on the same track that he lost his life.

RIP Marco. We will miss you a lot.
Old 24th October 2011, 15:58   #43
BHPian

Simoncelli was an excellent rider. Sadly, those who live by the edge sometimes have to pay an unreasonable price.
I still remember a race with him, Bautista, Aoyama and Barbara all slugging it out like mad men in the 250cc class . Before this moment, I used to watch 250's only in anticipation of the big boys with no real interest.
That day I knew, these guys had it in them to be right up there with the best. Simoncelli with his whacked out demeanor stood out simply because of the pure talent he showed. Reminded me of the first time I saw Hamilton drive.

You left behind you an unfulfilled promise Marco. R.I.P.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:45   #44
BHPian

I am yet to retrieve from the shock .
Brave chap , he always pushed him and his bike to the very extend possible .
For a racer who wants to be the champion its quite normal as well .
I was sad that I missed the race yesterday , but then now all GP fans moan on this incident .

Such a great loss to the biking world .

RIP Simonchelli
Old 24th October 2011, 17:55   #45
BHPian

R.I.P Marco, motogp will not be the same now :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks