Old 24th October 2011, 18:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli...
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 22:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Marco had great future.Some times motorsport is so cruel.
marco will be missed.RIP
Old 24th October 2011, 22:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Circumstances that lead to his death were eerily similar to Tomizawa's Moto2 crash last year.

It just shows that you can survive a fall.......... but not when when you do so in the path of another rider
Old 24th October 2011, 23:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

Pictures from Rossi's Twitter Account reminding us of the better times:

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli-achnlbcciaavbp5.jpg-large.jpg
R.I.P Marco Simoncelli-acht6nvceaa1r3.jpg-large.jpg

When asked if he was afraid of dying in an accident, Simoncelli apparently responded: "No. You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life."

Kudos to the man, kudos to his raw talent, kudos to his fighting spirit to match, at luck.

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th October 2011 at 12:14. Reason: As you said, image is disturbing. Lets exclude it please
Old 24th October 2011, 23:55   #50
BHPian

If there was one rider other than the God of MotoGP who I used to love to watch it was Marco. His agression, clean overtaking lines, the way he used to tail a person like a cat teasing its prey. Man, I will miss him for sure.

Mario R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not to sound rude, but i felt Simo was too rash in riding his bike around the circuit with no respect for fellow riders or himself. An accident was definitely around the corner, and its sad it took his life.

Sure he died doing what he loved. How many can get such a chance.
He was not rash, he was agressive, just the way people called Michael Schumaker, Kimi Raikonen, Rossi, Max were. Thats why they are champions, because when every one thought there is no racing line (to overtake) these guys created their own lines or forced the person in front off his line. That my friend is racing.

Last edited by torquecurve : 24th October 2011 at 23:58.
Old 25th October 2011, 00:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
He was not rash, he was agressive, just the way people called Michael Schumaker, Kimi Raikonen, Rossi, Max were. Thats why they are champions, because when every one thought there is no racing line (to overtake) these guys created their own lines or forced the person in front off his line. That my friend is racing.
True, take Lewis Hamilton too for example. Rash, aggressive, call it what you like, he gets the job done. Same with Schumi in the mid 90s in his battles with Damon Hill, outright preposterous but gave him a World Championship. Besides, Sic himself conceded that he needed to be more cautious from next time after his incident involving Dani Pedrosa. He was just 24, his prime was yet to come and he was sure to have matured into a much better rider eventually. He had the raw talent and a fighting spirit to match.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:07   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

This from when he was asked to show his bike:
"There's 2 minutes to fill in and they asked me to show you my bike.
This is the clutch lever, I pull it in to change the gear with this lever with my foot. This is the handlebar I hang onto to turn the corners.
This is the throttle to make the bike go fast"

Like vale, but with words!
Old 25th October 2011, 14:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
True, take Lewis Hamilton too for example. Rash, aggressive, call it what you like, he gets the job done. Same with Schumi in the mid 90s in his battles with Damon Hill, outright preposterous but gave him a World Championship. Besides, Sic himself conceded that he needed to be more cautious from next time after his incident involving Dani Pedrosa. He was just 24, his prime was yet to come and he was sure to have matured into a much better rider eventually. He had the raw talent and a fighting spirit to match.
Very true!
And the aggression is the demand of the sport, it's what differentiates the champions from the rest of the lot.

But indeed a very sad moment for motor sport.
Old 25th October 2011, 20:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
"No. You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life."

K.
No offence intended, but sounds like the line out of the movie " The fastest Indian"

Aggression or not, it was clear that Marco sure had issues with handling the tyres during early laps. He had crashed quite a few times during the early parts of the races this year. It was always exciting to watch him race but the scary thought was always there at the back of mind as to when he would crash..and crash he did quite often.

Here's an article from Eurosport sharing some views of the great Agostini on tyres.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/24102011/...ges-tyres.html

Marco had abundance of natural talent and fearless approach but was still on the growing curve of the motogp racecraft. Unfortunately, he passed away before his full potential was realized.

His death still hasn't sunk in and I can't think of future races without him..he's one of the few racers who had some character.

Last edited by badri : 25th October 2011 at 21:05.
Old 25th October 2011, 21:06   #55
BHPian

Ride in Peace, Simo... You'll always be remembered.
Old 25th October 2011, 21:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Very very sad to see this .

I still don't understand how can the helmet just COME OFF like that ?.That's shocking .
Old 25th October 2011, 21:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
No offence intended, but sounds like the line out of the movie " The fastest Indian".
None taken.
I found this on the IMDB page:
"Tom: Aren't you scared you'll kill yourself if you crash?
Burt Munro: No... You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime. "

So yeah either its a figment of someone's imagination or it may have been a line which summed up Sic's attitude towards racing for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Very very sad to see this .

I still don't understand how can the helmet just COME OFF like that ?.That's shocking .
Well, from a closer look of the video, looks like the strap just got ripped off from one of the sides from inside the helmet and the higher sized helmet to accommodate his exuberant hair made sure his helmet wasn't a tight fit. My speculation, I maybe wrong.

My thoughts go out to Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, both of who have to live with the guilt of eventually being a major part of the collision which killed Simoncelli. We all know they could not have done much, but their conscience will prevent them from thinking the same way. More so in the case of Rossi because they trained, joked and hung out together and Sic considered Rossi his hero and mentor while Rossi considered Sic as his youngest brother. Tumultuous times await Rossi and Colin Edwards and I can only hope they find the strength within themselves to forgive themselves, just the way I'm sure Marco has as he looks down from the heavens.

Condolences also for his parents as losing a 24-year old son, destined for greatness, exuded warmth and charisma, flamboyance and still down to earth would be one of the most hard things to cope with for anyone.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 25th October 2011 at 21:39.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We all know they could not have done much,
Much?? They could not have done ANYTHING..They weren't even trying to overtake him or anything like that.

If Simonchelli had not tried to save the lowside, he would be alive and well today.

Quote:
Tumultuous times await Rossi and Colin Edwards and I can only hope they find the strength within themselves to forgive themselves
Forgive themselves for what?? being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Lets stop this hinting and speculating..this is a condolence thread it should stay that way.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th October 2011 at 18:10.
Old 27th October 2011, 19:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Forgive themselves for what?? being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Lets stop this hinting and speculating..this is a condolence thread it should stay that way.
I never said they were wrong, just that they must be very angry at themselves. Anyone who sees the video will know that they were helpless in the situation they were in. I'm just saying that they should be able to forgive themselves for the mistake that they think they've made and stop speculating about all the things they feel they could do to save Sic.

Anyway, true, this is a condolence thread. I mean no offense, just clearing my stand.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:49   #60

R.I.P Marco, my sincere condolences to his family. He was destined for greatness. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Most Viewed