Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indian Grand Prix (MotoGP) will happen in 2012?

Was going through the Buddh Circuit Wiki page yesterday and stumbled upon this,
Source
Indian Grand Prix (MotoGP) will happen in 2012?-mgp.jpg

But the already published MotoGP calendar suggests otherwise.
Source
Indian Grand Prix (MotoGP) will happen in 2012?-mgp-calendar.jpg

What is to be believed?
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:53   #2
BANNED

Re: Indian Grand Prix (MotoGP) will happen in 2012?

Excellent news. I hope the babus in Delhi do not mess it up. There are enough sour grapes all round. They will just say it clashes with the elections is state x.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:08   #3
BHPian

I hope this MotoGP thing happens sooner than later.

The organizers are keen on having MotoGP here from 2012 only. Read more about it here:

Formula 1: Indian GP to 'break even in four years' - The Times of India
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

So is it still possible that despite the fact that they have excluded Indian GP from the published 2012 calendar, we could still make it in? Does it mean that some other GP has to be dismissed or pulled out?
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

That calender looks absolutely jam-packed. Unless they agree to race on consecutive weekends (maybe before/after Sepang), I don't really see how the Indian race can get a spot on the 2012 calender.

I'd love it if MotoGP comes to India. Tickets will be cheaper than F1 as well. I've attended MotoGP race once. I had a lowly P&S Sony W30 camera with me and when I reached the circuit FP session for 125's was going on. In the the first 2-3 pics I clicked, only the circuit was seen - reason? The bikes were too fast for me (and my camera)

Edit: They are already racing on consecutive weekends - Japan, Sepang, Australia. So I guess no chance for Indian MotoGP in 2012, unless they can put it as the first race.

Last edited by StarrySky : 2nd November 2011 at 23:57.
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:47   #6
BHPian

Yes Oct is not a possibility since F1 GP will be hosted on 26-28 Oct.
But may be this calendar will change, MotoGP was to consider Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi along with India. Dont see both!
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is the provisional calendar. Many races are subject to the contract extensions.

Hope MotoGP comes to BIC. I have been lucky to attend MotoGP at Laguna Seca. It's unreal.

Why is Indianapolis stated like that? Don't they want people to know there are 2 races in the US.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

there's the article in today's TOI about BIC getting into talks with quite a few motorsports authorities post november 10th, supposedly to keep the momentum going.
mentionables:
MotoGP, SBK, i1, V8, posrche and audi series......4-5 events in a year.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/10586604.cms

yowza!!
oughta be great great fun weekends!

up next:
" The weekend of November 26-27 will see 10 races: four rounds of JKRAS, two races of JK Polo Cup, two races of Formula LGB and two races in the Super Saloon category."
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:30   #9
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2011 at 18:24.
invincible7 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:25   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bike newbie question : Can MotoGP realistically expect an audience in India? Someone in the know once told me that the proportion of F1 : MotoGP tv viewership in India is 20 : 1.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Not from a Racing (car Vs bike) POV -

But a MoToGP would be a DREAM Platform for wannabe 'pulsar/zma' upgraders who are looking at ninja and other 5lac+ Rs Super bikes. (EDIT- from a viewing and understanding and falling in love permanently POV)

ViceVersa - it would be a bigger platform for bike makers to showcase what these bikes can do and sell more at a more aggressive price...

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd November 2011 at 18:31.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bike newbie question : Can MotoGP realistically expect an audience in India? Someone in the know once told me that the proportion of F1 : MotoGP tv viewership in India is 20 : 1.
IMHO motor sports viewership is on an upswing in India post the F1 success. This may have a trickle effect on to the viewership of MotoGP as well. The unfortunate events (Indycar and MotoGP crashes) over the past few weeks have also brought racing to the forefront for a part of the population that may not have been very aware of these events. Of course, I feel the media will again play the biggest role in the success or failure of MotoGP in our country. We can only hope that like the FI, MotoGP too will take the country by storm!
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow, I have the same doubt. Its not that hard to notice. Here in team-bhp, while every race gets its own dedicated thread, motogp has just one thread for the whole season. And that too doesn't have to many viewers. Although it is just as exciting as formula 1 [maybe more] it has just not caught up in India.

Then again it could be that bringing motogp to India would boost viewership of the sport here.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think one point you have to consider is that ticket prices for MotoGP might be much less as compared to F1 as hosting fees is also a lot less (from what I read somewhere it's $4-5M compared to $20M+ of F1). Plus Mahindra has a team in Moto125. They might want to market that if it comes to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Here in team-bhp, while every race gets its own dedicated thread, motogp has just one thread for the whole season. And that too doesn't have to many viewers.
I always thought of team-bhp more of a car forum than a bike one. Maybe it wasn't intended that way but people tend to do a lot more research when buying a car than a bike. Bikers might sticking to a bike-oriented forum.

Quote:
Although it is just as exciting as formula 1 [maybe more] it has just not caught up in India.
Definitely more.

Last edited by asr245 : 3rd November 2011 at 19:38.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not much. F1 draws crowds & even the taxi wallah ferrying you might know Schumacher.

I had read somewhere that F1 on tv is quite popular in India. Your ratio is spot on GTO. Maybe more negative. Sad but true.

World Super Bikes WORLDSBK.COM | HOME is similar to DTM/WTCC and only 10 folks discuss this on the other forum. For me it is much more exciting than Moto-GP as there aren't exactly prototypes, but production based machines. Will it ever come to India? Sigh!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

ViceVersa - it would be a bigger platform for bike makers to showcase what these bikes can do and sell more at a more aggressive price...
Damn taxes mate. How I love to buy a 600, but these taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgbiswas View Post
IMHO motor sports viewership is on an upswing in India post the F1 success. This may have a trickle effect on to the viewership of MotoGP as well. The unfortunate events (Indycar and MotoGP crashes) over the past few weeks have also brought racing to the forefront for a part of the population that may not have been very aware of these events. Of course, I feel the media will again play the biggest role in the success or failure of MotoGP in our country. We can only hope that like the FI, MotoGP too will take the country by storm!
Sir, most folks aren't amused at all seeing the Car/Bike going round & round. They are excited when a rider falls or there is a straight. I bet drag-races will get better viewership with bench/club racers.

Quote:
Somehow, I have the same doubt. Its not that hard to notice. Here in team-bhp, while every race gets its own dedicated thread, motogp has just one thread for the whole season. And that too doesn't have to many viewers. Although it is just as exciting as formula 1 [maybe more] it has just not caught up in India.

Then again it could be that bringing motogp to India would boost viewership of the sport here.
Very few people try to liven up that thread. Most are Rossi fans (I am one too), but it is still so much exciting even if Rossi isn't at the front now.

More exciting than F1? Yes, yes, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I think one point you have to consider is that ticket prices for MotoGP might be much less as compared to F1 as hosting fees is also a lot less (from what I read somewhere it's $4-5M compared to $20M+ of F1). Plus Mahindra has a team in Moto125. They might want to market that if it comes to India.
It surely will be cheaper.
Mahindra will definitely try to promote it.

Quote:
I always thought of team-bhp more of a car forum than a bike one. Maybe it wasn't intended that way but people tend to do a lot more research when buying a car than a bike. Bikers might sticking to a bike-oriented forum.
It is a car forum, but we have bike nuts too.

Bike oriented forum? I wish there was one which was as credible, quality oriented with no bias & commercial interest.

Why don't we taken upon ourselves to make Team-Bhp as a mentor for both? (It already is for Cars). Precisely the reason 10 forums/web-sites come up for bikes, but you won't find one dealing in Cars.
Sure, Cars will have an upper-hand, create more traffic & eye-balls, but believe both can go hand in hand.

Disclaimer : I know nothing about cruisers or scooters, so please excuse on that.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd November 2011 at 22:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks