Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Circuit of the Americas - Austin, Texas to host 2012 U.S Grand Prix

Circuit of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Another Hemann Tilke masterpiece is prepping up to welcome Formula 1 back to Americas.

My God, that is a mother of all welcome videos. Pheww!

OT: Downloaded the video in 1080p, worth!
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Circuit of the Americas - Austin, Texas to host 2012 U.S Grand Prix

Didn't watch the video but Tilke circuits usually do not go along with "masterpiece" IMO. I am not sure if there's any circuit designed by him which drivers find challenging and viewers find interesting (like Spa, Monza, Suzuka). I guess few such circuits remain now.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Didn't watch the video but Tilke circuits usually do not go along with "masterpiece" IMO. I am not sure if there's any circuit designed by him which drivers find challenging and viewers find interesting (like Spa, Monza, Suzuka). I guess few such circuits remain now.
The Buddh International Circuit is quite challenging, as seen in the recent Indian Grand Prix, and as mentioned by some of the drivers, if I remember correctly. It is designed by Tilke as well.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
The Buddh International Circuit is quite challenging, as seen in the recent Indian Grand Prix, and as mentioned by some of the drivers, if I remember correctly. It is designed by Tilke as well.
Yes, it's a Tilke design and yes driver's did say that it was a challenging circuit but I am not sure whether it's just PR stuff or they actually find it challenging. And I hope that "challenging" stuff was not due to the track being dusty. More over, when I watched the race later it was quite boring to watch - there are big run off areas on the track which don't punish drivers mistake enough. Maybe with less dust (& thus more grip for multiple racing lines) it might be better next year.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:51   #5
BHPian

US will get two F1 events from 2013

Formula One racing coming to New Jersey 2013
Old 17th November 2011, 00:14   #6
BHPian

Looks like we have to wait longer for the US GP
Quote:
The fate of the 2012 United States Grand Prix appears to be in limbo.
A $300-million effort to bring international Formula One auto racing to the Texas capital of Austin was placed on hold this week amid disputes about financing the project.
Investors in the Circuit of the Americas project told the Austin American-Statesman on Tuesday that they were suspending construction of a new 3.4-mile racetrack southeast of Austin, idling about 300 workers. Work on the track had slowed in recent months, but sped up in recent days, according to the Statesman.

But circuit investors, including San Antonio billionaire Red McCombs and local businessman Bobby Epstein, told the Statesman this week that construction stopped because they were still waiting for the rights for the

Formula One race from promoter Tavo Hellmund, a former driver and longtime associate of Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.
When asked last week about the progress of the Austin project, Ecclestone told the Associated Press: "There are two parties. One is building a track, the other has the contract, and they've forgotten to talk to each other."
Source: LA Times
Old 17th November 2011, 09:32   #7
BHPian

I guess they will pull up their socks & sort out the gaps. They have time in their hands to finish the work. The race calendar shows the race day as 11/18 i.e. one year from today.
It would be a big disappointment for all American F1 fans if the race does not happen.
Old 17th November 2011, 19:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bernie says it's off

How quickly things have turned upside down!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed