Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 01:13   #1
BHPian

Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012

The Finnish former Formula One World Champion Raikkonen's return to the F1 circuit looks certain.Over the past month, rumours have been intensifying that he will return to F1 in 2012 after an absence of two years.
Ever since he walked away from F1 at the end of the 2009 season, parting ways with Ferrari and failing to secure a return to McLaren, rumours have persisted saying the Finn will return. The latest, which emerged in the week before the Singapore GP, claimed that he was in talks with Williams regarding next season and even visited their factory in Grove.
finnish paper Ilta-Sanomat reported that the key to Raikkonen’s return to formula one was whether Williams could sign the Qatar National Bank as a major new sponsor.In recent days Frank Williams had travelled to Arab states Qatar and Saudi Arabia fuelling the rumours.Williams on Wednesday hinted at the deal by revealing that a memorandum of understanding with Mowasalat, a Qatari company, was signed in Doha for the use of the team’s simulator technology.
If its true, the announcement may be made in Abu Dhabi next weekend.

Kimi as usual was point blank when asked- "For now there's really nothing and before I have anything 100 per cent confirmed, there's no point in talking".
The Finn is still only 32, and if he wants it enough, he could certainly be successful again. Not in a Williams, but if he impresses in his first season back, doors will open for the following year.
comebacks are always difficult and schumi has had it the hard way.only if kimi doesnt get disillusioned from an underperforming car next year.

Links - FORMULA ONE - F1: Williams To Announce Raikkonen Deal
'Raikkonen has signed Williams deal' | Planet F1 | Formula One News
F1 Racing - Sample feature from the November 2011 Issue of the world's best-selling F1 magazine
aditya116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 11:12   #2
BHPian

Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Very good news indeed and a good find Aditya! I was a big fan of kimi when he was still racing. others dislike the fact that he does not talk too much, but it is this trait that i admired most about him, a case of "little less conversation, little more action (on track)". Well its hard to imagine kimi ever lifting the world championship again even though that is what i would love to see. But as a driver he is very good and will probably be a strong midfilder.

He is said to be a driver who gives precise info to the engineers about the car, so i guess he will play a big role to help develop the Williams. Also he is very well known to be able to extract 110% of the car just like the 2009 Ferrari which was far from a good handling car.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hard to believe Kimi wants to return.
Though gifted with exceptional speed, he lacks pretty much everything else.
F1 was always too disciplined for him.

There's a story on how he missed a Rally because he missed his flight due to a heavy night earlier!
Old 4th November 2011, 17:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

More strong news coming in about Kimi's return with Williams to be announced in AbuDhabi in a week's time. The tweets have started coming out

Even William's stock profile has appreciated this week! All this for the news of the ICEMAN coming...

There is also news emerging that Kimi signed a deal with Luca back in Monza'09 for a whooping 45M Euros that would keep him away from driving in F1 for a top team for 18 months.

I hope he doesnt take too much time trying to understand the Pirelli rubber! Whatever may be the case, I am going to bet all my dollars on a Kimi win in Spa'12 if he is coming back
Old 4th November 2011, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Time to rejoice. The Flying Finn is back! Williams is going through a major personnel shuffle. Patrick Head has sold his stake and Sam Michael, long time technical director has left. This is a team with rich history, having won multiple championships.

But they have to be realistic. Raikkonen might bring in a few big ticket sponsors, but he will take time to adjust after a few years away. Does he have the drive to turn around a struggling team ? History does not seem to suggest so.

But then again, Kimi is an entertainer on track. The DRS era might just suit him. Better to have him in a mid field car than lose him to rallying or Nascar while still in his prime.
Old 4th November 2011, 19:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! This is news! So the Iceman is coming back!

This was one calm & cool headed driver - one of the best when he was racing.
So next year we are going to have Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Webber, Massa, Button & Kimi fighting for the pole position (doubt if Schumi is ever gonna get a good car that would ensure a top 3 position).

Btw Kimi's wiki page states that he is in talks with Renault too (in addition to Williams)!
Old 4th November 2011, 19:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Awesome news but hope Kimi would not be too disillusioned with the learning curve that he would have to withstand given the massive changes that have happened in the last 2 years - namely no refuelling (the car's dynamics is different with a heavier fuel load) , DRS , KERS and Pirelli's struggling tyres . Hope the flying finn truly makes his comeback
Old 4th November 2011, 23:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kimi is coming back. Should be announced at Abu Dhabi like anachronix said. Williams will be getting big money from Qatar. Perhaps it might be time to bid adieu to Reubens Barrichello unless he's got something going on with Marussia Virgin or HRT. The rest of the teams are either accounted for or wouldn't consider him, sadly.
Old 4th November 2011, 23:27   #9
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This is good news if it does come true. Kimi had a kind of dry humour where in he said a lot by saying almost nothing.

He was a also a very technically capable driver. He could help williams get back to steam. Hope Shumi too does better next year and does not quite so soon either. The only think we need to question for Kimi is if he is really prepared to slog it out in the middle group for possibly a whole first year.
Old 4th November 2011, 23:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Please god I don't want the only other driver I loved in F1 to also stage a hopeless comeback just like schumi. These guys left F1 at the height of there career and will always be remembered for there heroics. But the debacle of Schumi this year has been so tough to digest that I didn't follow F1 season for the first time since a decade now. I hope Kimi stays out.
Old 5th November 2011, 11:15   #11
BHPian

Agree with all of you regarding Kimi's comeback, BUT Kimi has always been a very technically sound driver. Sure there have been large changes since Kimi last got into an F1 car but he has a whole winter ahead of him to get up to speed.

Realistically speaking, I do not expect him to challenge Vettel, Button, Hami and Alonso with a Williams, but he sure as hell will bring the excitement back.

Can hardly wait!!
Old 5th November 2011, 20:41   #12
BHPian

finally something solid from williams side - Williams shareholder Toto Wolff has confirmed that the team is negotiating with kimi over a potential return to Formula One. link -http://en.espnf1.com/williams/motorsport/story/63487.html
Doesnt look that the deal is 100% done as speculated by others.If kimi can tow in sponsors why not force india consider him as they have a better car.
Old 6th November 2011, 00:59   #13
BHPian

will be great to see kimi back in F1, in spa 2012 he will definitely be on the podium :-)
Old 6th November 2011, 02:15   #14
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Please god I don't want the only other driver I loved in F1 to also stage a hopeless comeback just like schumi. These guys left F1 at the height of there career and will always be remembered for there heroics. But the debacle of Schumi this year has been so tough to digest that I didn't follow F1 season for the first time since a decade now. I hope Kimi stays out.
Im not really a schumi fan - for a variety of reasons - but that does not stop me from sticking my neck out & stating that with the right car he still has more than what it takes to be on the top step of the podium in 2012.

Same goes for kimi.... wont take him long to get up to speed in an F1 car.

The comeback im really looking forward to - The Flying finn - King Mika !! But then he is 2 Yrs older than schumi .... :(

Last edited by Zed : 6th November 2011 at 02:24.
Old 6th November 2011, 08:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed

Im not really a schumi fan - for a variety of reasons - but that does not stop me from sticking my neck out & stating that with the right car he still has more than what it takes to be on the top step of the podium in 2012.

The comeback im really looking forward to - The Flying finn - King Mika !! But then he is 2 Yrs older than schumi .... :(
I agree but its heart breaking for a fan to see his favorite driver struggling to even beat his teammate like rosberg in schumis case.

Another driver I would love to see on the F 1 track in Montoya.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks