Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 16:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2011...championship decided, boon or bane?

So, the F1 circus moves to Abu Dhabi, set amidst the beautiful locales of the Yas Island complex. The oil sheikhs have tried to do a rich man's play ground in the capital city of the Emirates. Will the racing be as exciting?

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2011...championship decided, boon or bane?-yas.jpg

Now that the championship has been decided, will we see drivers going for personal glory? Martin Whitmarsh certainly seems to thinks so. Fans and people who turn up to watch races will definitely hope so.

This is the circuit where Alonso was stuck behind Petrov last year, unable to overtake and finishing outside the top 5, which ultimately cost him the championship. This year should be more exciting with two DRS zones announced for the Yas Marina circuit.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2011...championship decided, boon or bane?-yasmarinacircuit.jpg

More here:
Welcome to Yas Marina Circuit

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit - F1mix.com
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 21:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2011...championship decided, boon or bane?

I absolutely loved the track. A lot of visual drama, definetly the rich sheikhs' playground.
Seb Vet seems to be in some sort of a trance. He is grabbing pole positions,wins,fastest laps at will . The last lap of Q3 looked picture perfect, cant imagine how frustrated Hamilton must be
Old 13th November 2011, 07:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am going to bet on another boring race of the season in Abu Dhabi. The FIA has quickly sensed that and working on extending the DRS zone for some artificial fun.

The track as such, sucks!
Old 13th November 2011, 08:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

^^Yes, I am already looking forward to the next season. Just waiting for the procession to end.
Really miss those days when rivalary was thick between McLaren and Ferrari. Not taking anything away from Vettel, but I find him a bit mechanical and monotonous, and really getting a bit tired with the lack of competition.
Old 13th November 2011, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

What is surprising is that Webber has not taken a few more chances to try and win a race and possibly finish 2nd in the driver's championship. Admittedly, he has struggled with the Pirellis, but Vettel has left him for dead unlike the last 2 seasons. Massa and Webber have looked clueless this season.

If Hamilton can stay out of the grass, he can provide some entertainment, else might as well switch off the telly if Vettel flies away on lap 1. The Force Indias looked solid in qualifying. Hopefully that should translate into a good race finish.
Old 13th November 2011, 11:38   #6
mgh
BHPian

Force India had a problem earlier of good race pace, but not in qualifying
Last few races they have improved in qualifying, but Toro Rosso especially, have outgunned them on race pace.
Let us hope they pick up more points and stay ahead of both Toro Rosso and Sauber.
Old 13th November 2011, 20:22   #7
mgh
BHPian

With Vettel DNF, Hamilton wins, Alonso 2nd, Button 3, Webber 4, Massa 5, Rosberg 6, Schumacher 7, Sutil 8, di Resta 9, Kobayashi 10
Force India lead by 15 points, Sutil needs one more point to finish 10th, he is tied with heidfeld on points, but Heidfeld has finished 3rd once, so is ahead for the moment.
Old 13th November 2011, 22:56   #8
BHPian

Atlast, Vettel train has derailed. Period.
Nice to see Hamilton turn Victorious and see him along with Alonso in podium.
Old 14th November 2011, 00:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

One of the better races at the Yas Marina circuit. Maybe a Vettel DNF had something to do with it! But Hamilton was in fine form. This season has been a litmus test for him, both on and off the track. He will be all the more wiser and stronger for it. This victory must have given him a sense of relief than one of triumph.

Force Indias were just fabulous today, finishing best of the rest. Alonso too was magnificent, keeping up with Hamilton but simply did not have the pace to challenge. He will be looking forward to next year already.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am going to bet on another boring race of the season in Abu Dhabi. The FIA has quickly sensed that and working on extending the DRS zone for some artificial fun.

The track as such, sucks!

The race continues to be boring. The track itself is quite boring - it's a start-stop track. The back to back double DRS sucked. Yes, there was a lot of overtaking but that was because of the car being overtaken in 1st DRS zone was able to do the same in the 2nd DRS zone. That was no fun to watch. It's only the environment outside the track which excites people - race as such fails to do that.
Old 14th November 2011, 15:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

oh thank god!!
I thought it was just me who found it boring.
I was going "hey, i am losing interest in the one sport i like to watch"....petrified!!

There were nohigh points left coming into india, which was THE high point left for us atleast.
i suppose thats why waiting now just for the season to finish.

By the by, has the silly season started yet?
i havent caught a lot of auto mags in the past few months.

Most Viewed