Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 08:30   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2012 Formula One Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Expect the new front wing to look something like this

Attachment 887971
I read somewhere (probably scarbs F1) that according to rules the only purpose for that hole on the nose is for drivers cooling. It cannot be used for any other purpose. So not sure if that wing can be legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
What is it? Are those strips temperature sensors?
Yes.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, you don't have to look at a car to know whether it has EBD or not. Listening to the engine note on the turns will do.
No! The EBD works when the exhaust is placed towards the end of the coke bottle structure on the rear and is blowing hot air on top of the diffuser + running a high rake. The picture I posted of the W02 used by Merc in testing has the exhaust high up on the coke bottle which means the car is not running the EBD setup like they did from last year.

Some teams testing their 2012 cars are blowing the exhaust gases around the rear suspension to get the EBD effect and you can see how cleverly Ferrari is channeling the air parallely with the exhausts to create the EBD effect this year. Also notice the high rake that Ferrari is running with the 2012 car.

The 2012 Formula One Season-ferr_mass_jere_201213.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Didi Mateschitz tells the press that he will treat Webbo equally with Seb. Am not sure on that. How many failed starts can he have every year !
Saw a tweet just now from MercAMGF1Fans

Good Morning Fans! In a few hours we may see a glimps of the Silver Bullet! #F1

And what the boys from the drinks company think about the Merc.

Sportbild:

Newey said their car behaves as predicted, the only team Red Bull now still fears is Mercedes.
Mateschitz about Ferrari: "We already know that Ferrari had a few problems" while he was smiling.
The magazine says they know Hamilton told Kovalainen that McLaren is also disappointedwith their new car.
Horner about Mercedes: "Mercedes must be very sure about what they´re doing if they sacrifice 1/3 of pre season testing"
Marko: "It seems Mercedes have something special at the front of the car"
Newey: "We know that the new Mercedes was ready long ago. I think they want to hide something. It must be a part which is quite fast to copy as they wouldn´t make such an effort to hide it"
Mateschitz: "Mercedes has huge pressure on them, the team must risk something"
Mercedes reserved the Catalunya Circuit on 19th February for a filming day. Insider say the car will look very different to all other cars.
MS: "We wanted to have as much time as possible for the basic stuff and if you get those wrong, you´re unable to change it"
Old 15th February 2012, 13:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some teams testing their 2012 cars are blowing the exhaust gases around the rear suspension to get the EBD effect and you can see how cleverly Ferrari is channeling the air parallely with the exhausts to create the EBD effect this year. Also notice the high rake that Ferrari is running with the 2012 car.
It doesn't matter whether your exhaust is right before the diffuser or the rear wing. It should be able to blow out hot exhaust gases even when the driver is off throttle or on part throttle like in the middle of a corner.

So will 'blowing' have its charm in 2012 without the associated engine mapping to blast exhaust gases even when the driver is off throttle? It might work on high speed corners but low speed ones, I doubt.

Very interesting comments on the new Merc. I hope its up to all that hype. Come on Ross!

Last edited by deetjohn : 15th February 2012 at 13:42. Reason: Rephrasing.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:07   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The exhaust is not being blown around the rear suspension but at the vanes on the rear wheels. More information about this analysis. The grey area with this is will the FIA allow fuel injection on off throttle. This has still not been clarified.

Quote:
Even more aggressive solution would be directing the exhausts onto the vanes allowed around the rear brake ducts. If avoiding the brake cooling inlet snorkel, the fast moving exhaust gas would produce downforce directly at the wheel, which is more efficient than wings mounted to the sprung part of the chassis. However the issue here would be the solution is likely to be so effective, that it will be sensitive to throttle position and rear ride height. If these issues can be engineered out, then this is an attractive solution
Source:F1 2012: Rules, Designs and Trends | Scarbsf1's Blog

Last edited by vikram_d : 15th February 2012 at 14:09.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether your exhaust is right before the diffuser or the rear wing. It should be able to blow out hot exhaust gases even when the driver is off throttle or on part throttle like in the middle of a corner.
No dude, if you look at the F150 Italia the exhaust was positioned near the floor to channel the hot air above the diffuser and then the fancy engine maps blows the hot air around a slow or medium fast corners even when the driver is off-throttle. The F2012 has the exhausts high up the sidepod!

Quote:
So will 'blowing' have its charm in 2012 without the associated engine mapping to blast exhaust gases even when the driver is off throttle? It might work on high speed corners but low speed ones, I doubt.
Blowing around slow corners with fancy engine mapping is not allowed anymore, but the drivers who have a unique style of keeping revs around slow corners would benefit. Michael for example!

Quote:
Very interesting comments on the new Merc. I hope its up to all that hype. Come on Ross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The exhaust is not being blown around the rear suspension but at the vanes on the rear wheels. More information about this analysis. The grey area with this is will the FIA allow fuel injection on off throttle. This has still not been clarified.

Source:F1 2012: Rules, Designs and Trends | Scarbsf1's Blog
I was confused seeing all those temparature sensors around the suspension arms in the F2012 during the testing. But I guess STR has some EBD effect by blowing around the suspension arms(!?)

BTW, here is the first teaser picture of the Mercedes W03. Long & Slim

The 2012 Formula One Season-419297_10150536996897411_79511407410_9043828_1465723723_n.jpg

Last edited by anachronix : 15th February 2012 at 16:53.
Old 15th February 2012, 19:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blowing around slow corners with fancy engine mapping is not allowed anymore, but the drivers who have a unique style of keeping revs around slow corners would benefit. Michael for example!
True, even during his earlier days Michael would never completely go off the throttle even in slow corners. Not sure who the other drivers are who use this trick.
Old 15th February 2012, 23:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

I recall seeing Michael' telemetry throttle graph. It was full of blips during cornering or braking and he is fully off the throttle for a very limited time. It was a comparison with that of Rubens. Rubens was off throttle more than Michael and with sudden spikes and troughs.

But will that be enough for blowing the vanes or the wing?

Oh! Mercedes have added AMG to their name. Usually, when Mercedes do it to a car, it becomes a lot lot faster, louder and mighty around a track. Hope, it carries on here.
Old 15th February 2012, 23:11   #143
Senior - BHPian

JoseLuisF1©®™
Source: Twitter@JoseLuisF1
  • "In production it seems that they know the cause of the unexpected behavior of the parts. Tomorrow they begin to produce new ones" (It was supposed to be a manufacturing defect on the parts produced )
  • "New center of aerodynamic forces have been recalculated, as a result the F2012 in Barcelona should have improved balance"
  • "If all goes well, reliability and management of Pirelli will be the focus of the next test in Barcelona"
  • Ferrari will bring a new floor, new diffuser & possibly a new DRS modification as well as use better heat resistant materials regarding the exhaust outlets.
Quote:
I recall seeing Michael' telemetry throttle graph. It was full of blips during cornering or braking and he is fully off the throttle for a very limited time. It was a comparison with that of Rubens. Rubens was off throttle more than Michael and with sudden spikes and troughs.

But will that be enough for blowing the vanes or the wing?
That was Herbert dude!

Quote:
Oh! Mercedes have added AMG to their name. Usually, when Mercedes do it to a car, it becomes a lot lot faster, louder and mighty around a track. Hope, it carries on here.
Not just AMG, Puma is joining hands with Mercedes team for the 2012 race suit and merchansise

The 2012 Formula One Season-336838_391485987535165_386147001402397_1790495_2035228546_o.jpg

Last edited by anachronix : 15th February 2012 at 23:17.
Old 16th February 2012, 08:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • "In production it seems that they know the cause of the unexpected behavior of the parts. Tomorrow they begin to produce new ones" (It was supposed to be a manufacturing defect on the parts produced )
Last year, it was calibration of wind tunnel model and its manufacturing defect now. Hope they are able to crack it on time.

Quote:
That was Herbert dude!
Oh yeah! Been a long time.

Pirelli has revealed the tyre compounds for the first three races.

Australia: Soft and Medium compounds
Malaysia: Medium and Hard compounds
China: Soft and Medium compounds
Old 16th February 2012, 09:12   #145
BANNED

Quote:

I was confused seeing all those temparature sensors around the suspension arms in the F2012 during the testing. But I guess STR has some EBD effect by blowing around the suspension arms(!?)

BTW, here is the first teaser picture of the Mercedes W03. Long & Slim

Attachment 888552
If the car is indeed long and slim as you said, it should definitely be built as per Schumi's taste

But why this kolaveri of hiding the car so long. Its creating an unnecessary hype, and hope it does not fizzle out at the end.

Feb 21st is the said launch (REVEAL) date, need to see what they have in store
Old 16th February 2012, 11:51   #146
BHPian

Quote:

Not just AMG, Puma is joining hands with Mercedes team for the 2012 race suit and merchansise

Attachment 888712
Will this be available in India? as of now the F1 merchandise collection is very sad, there used to be Red Bull and Torro Rosso collection available but not anymore and the Ferrari collection is very sad

-Sajan
Old 16th February 2012, 12:15   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last year, it was calibration of wind tunnel model and its manufacturing defect now. Hope they are able to crack it on time.
Remember the shaky front wing on Massa's car from last year's Indian GP!? That was a manufacturing defect too. I hope they avoid a repeat of this! People were spreading rumors about a chassis flex on the Ferrari, I was worried if the season was over for Ferrari even before it started. I am glad its only a manufacturing defect on certain parts. I hope they put on a better show in Barca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands
Will this be available in India?
Yes, like the Ferrari merchandise thats available in Puma store. I have always found good collections in Chennai stores!
Old 17th February 2012, 06:41   #148
Senior - BHPian

To all the impatient Mercedes fans. A scoop of the W03 from shakedown at Silverstone yesterday

Source: AF1

The 2012 Formula One Season-51332208.png
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:31   #149
BHPian

Quote:
To all the impatient Mercedes fans. A scoop of the W03 from shakedown at Silverstone yesterday

Source: AF1
Looks like the boxer nose of the other teams to me.
Old 17th February 2012, 16:06   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Looks like the boxer nose of the other teams to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
If the car is indeed long and slim as you said, it should definitely be built as per Schumi's taste
It seems like Newey is the most concerned regarding W03 late launch.

Newey wary of Mercedes

Red Bull design guru Adrian Newey admits to being intrigued by Mercedes delay in unveiling its 2012 contender, fearing the German team may have a trick up its sleeve.

In 2009, as Brawn, the Brackley outfit's controversial diffuser caught rivals on the hop, and by the time the rest of the field had caught on Jenson Button and his team had secured the title.

In recent years, in terms of great innovations, McLaren gave F1 the F-duct, while Red Bull developed the side exhaust system.

As Mercedes prepares to unveil its 2012 car, there are claims that the German team could have run it in Jerez but opted not to, not only to give it more time to develop the car but also to hold off rivals prying eyes for that little bit longer.
"I was told by the German press, whether this is true or not, that the car was ready to run at the last test," Newey told Reuters, "but they chose not to and why would that be?"

"I said I've got no idea," he continued, "but why you might choose to do that would be if you had some feature on your car which you think is a big benefit and which is relatively easily copied. I'm not saying that is the reason, but it's a possible reason."

With just four weeks to the opening session in Melbourne, the design legend admits that it takes around six seeks to evaluate a rival team's idea to the point where one might consider incorporating it on one's own car.

"If you were prepared to simply go out and copy it because you think it's such a blinding idea without actually evaluating it properly then you can cut a bit of time out of that," said Newey. "Last year where we put our exhausts on from the first test and McLaren had managed to copy (us), by their own admission, by the first race. I guess with hindsight we perhaps should have delayed that a bit longer."

While the Mercedes WO3 will be under close scrutiny next week, for the most part times will be ignored, though Newey no doubt remembers the shock debut of the Brawn at the penultimate pre-season test in Barcelona in 2009, the Brackley car dominating proceedings almost from the outset.
Asked if he will be paying particular attention to the Brackley car in Spain, Newey's response was seemingly non-committal. "If it comes out and goes three seconds quicker than anybody else, yes of course," he said. "Other than that, simply because its later doesn't mean to say you are going to suddenly show more attention at that than anybody else's.

"Of course you do look at other people's cars but I generally find that it this time of the year actually the main thing to do is try and understand your own car rather than worry too much about what everybody else is doing."

Source: pitpass - Newey wary of Mercedes

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed