Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 19:47   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2012 Formula One Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Stumbled on this,

Did Ferrari order Sergio Perez to back off of Fernando Alonso in Malaysia?

Did Ferrari ask Sauber to slow Perez in Malaysia? again this can be a rumor.

-Sajan
Highly unlikely. Peter Sauber would never allow it.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:27   #257
Senior - BHPian

There are always going to be conspiracy theories about this. And we will never know the truth as both sides are believable. So forget about it.

But it sure would have been fun to watch Perez hustle Alonso.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:09   #258
mgh
BHPian

Perez himself said that he needed to push his tires, and they could not be sure of the life left. He could have ended up like Kimi at the Chinese Grand Prix, sliding from 2nd to 12th.
Of course, the mistake ensured that it was not possible.
Old 18th April 2012, 20:31   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
Perez himself said that he needed to push his tires, and they could not be sure of the life left. He could have ended up like Kimi at the Chinese Grand Prix, sliding from 2nd to 12th.
Of course, the mistake ensured that it was not possible.
I agree, being chased by a Sauber is enough insult for the Scuderia.

Now the question is , with the relentless pace of development will the Ferrari ever catch up this year ???
Old 30th April 2012, 11:40   #260
BANNED

Surprisingly both the drivers in Mercedes GP AMG has different views regarding tyre wear Situation. While Schumacher believes tyre wear not a good thing for F1, His team mate, Roseberg has something different to say.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99103

Nico Rosberg says challenge of 2012 Pirelli tyres is great for Formula 1 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Contrasting..!
Old 30th April 2012, 11:57   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Surprisingly both the drivers in Mercedes GP AMG has different views regarding tyre wear Situation. While Schumacher believes tyre wear not a good thing for F1, His team mate, Roseberg has something different to say.

Pirelli responds to Michael Schumacher's criticism of its tyres - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Nico Rosberg says challenge of 2012 Pirelli tyres is great for Formula 1 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Contrasting..!
I don't agree with Nico's view. This year is so much more artificial racing than it has ever been. In fact I would go to the extent of not even calling this racing where a driver cannot drive at the full potential of the car and himself.

Moreover after Nico won in China, he himself said that we was driving at around 60 - 70% of the car's abilities because of the tyre wear. This is not racing at all. It is more like a staged event.

Last edited by vikram_d : 30th April 2012 at 11:58.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:38   #262
Senior - BHPian

Source: Sauber announces Chelsea FC partnership | Sauber | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Quote:
Sauber has announced a new partnership with English Premier League side Chelsea FC.

The team has been dropping hints at a new partnership during the last two races, carrying the words "Out of the Blue" on the engine cover in China, and "True Blue" at the Bahrain Grand Prix. Announcing the link-up, a press release from Sauber states that the partnership 'includes the sale of merchandising articles and exchange of knowledge in the area of sport science. Both partners will support each other by featuring the other partner's logo and thus benefit from a significant market presence outside their original sport'.

The Chelsea logo will be carried on the C31 for the first time at the Spanish Grand Prix, and Sauber CEO Monisha Kaltenborn says the team is excited about the opportunities created.

"A partnership like this between Formula One and Football has never existed before in this form, yet there are numerous commonalities and possible synergies," Kaltenborn said. "In either case we are talking about team sport at the highest - and international - level. The Sauber F1 Team and Chelsea FC are dealing with many of the same sporting and commercial topics and we want to strengthen each other in these areas. We are looking forward to exploiting these opportunities, and we congratulate Chelsea on making it to the final of the Champions League."

Sauber's logo will be on display at Chelsea home matches, as well as on interview boards at Stamford Bridge, and Chelsea's chief executive Ron Gourlay said the partnership was a result of shared philosophies.

"This is an innovative partnership that will see a football club link up with a Formula 1 team like never before, bringing together two of the world's biggest sports and uniting our fans," Gourlay said. "We felt that this Swiss team, the fourth oldest of the existing teams, reflects our own ideals perfectly.

"In a year when Chelsea celebrates 20 seasons as a Premier League team, Sauber does so as a Formula 1 team. We share many philosophies when it comes to how the respective organisations are run, from the development of young talent to constantly striving for success. Sauber's philosophy towards grassroots development has produced some of the best drivers in F1, which mirrors our dedication to develop promising young football talent through our Academy.

"This partnership will benefit us both greatly, with the potential to create unique commercial opportunities. It is a shared vision to unite the two most attractive sports in the world. We look forward to working closely with the Sauber F1 Team and wish them the very best of luck for the remainder of the Formula 1 season."
Old 30th April 2012, 14:48   #263
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Very interesting partnership. Is there any money changing hands somewhere? If not, it's brilliant for Sauber. Chelsea, being a huge club, has a huge fan base who will now also be acquainted with Sauber F1 team. That can't be too bad for them.
Old 30th April 2012, 15:57   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I don't agree with Nico's view. This year is so much more artificial racing than it has ever been. In fact I would go to the extent of not even calling this racing where a driver cannot drive at the full potential of the car and himself.

Moreover after Nico won in China, he himself said that we was driving at around 60 - 70% of the car's abilities because of the tyre wear. This is not racing at all. It is more like a staged event.
Completely agree. Personally, I think Rosberg is just intent on gamesmanship against Schumacher. He is trying to get the upper hand on his teammate in whichever way possible. Especially considering that we're approaching the European leg of the championship, where Schumacher will be more difficult to beat.

The next race at Spain will be Pirellis big test. All the top teams have excellent data regarding setups for a track like Barcelona, so I dont think drivers will have a problem setting up their car for this high downforce, high speed and high temperature track. If the tyres are once again pancakes though, we can reasonably expect the voice of protest against Pirelli to get louder and louder to the point where they finally go back to the drawing board and get us some real racing tyres.
Old 30th April 2012, 18:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do quote the article where he claims to be driving around at 60-70% of the car's abilities.. before we get into how this is not a staged event etc etc
Old 1st May 2012, 00:21   #266
BANNED

Quote:

So Pirelli know's what to do, when criticism comes from Legend of F1

Pirelli: Mugello test key to understand tyre challenges - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Need to see if Mugello testing will yeild some changes with regards to tyres.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:27   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Do quote the article where he claims to be driving around at 60-70% of the car's abilities.. before we get into how this is not a staged event etc etc
"There was not one lap in the race where you could go flat out. You really have to take it carefully and manage the tyres, so it's very challenging. But it worked out fine, and the strategy was also perfect."
[COLOR=#22229c]Rosberg says victory in China was far from easy due to tyre management - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com[/COLOR]

..and this is what Ross had to say

"I think with these tyres if you get it right on the day then you can do what we did today," explained Brawn. "You can see what is very strong opposition perhaps not quite hitting the sweet spot, and having what happened today."We managed to get it to work and others didn't, and that will be the characteristic of this year. I think the teams will all get better in using tyres and, as they get better, the occasions when you don't get it right will be fewer.

[COLOR=#22229c]Ross Brawn says understanding tyres were key to victory in the Chinese Grand Prix - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com[/COLOR]

Looking back at Chinese GP not many in the paddock expected Merc to dominate the way they did.Heck even Merc didnt see it coming.

Well thats how the tyre lottery has been panning out this year
I am sure Jenson Button would agree.He must be feeling OzGP 2012 was moonyears ago
jraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 07:44   #268
Senior - BHPian

A post race article by Martin Brundle talks how F1 is close to becoming an entertainment sport!

Quote:
" In eight days we have had two great races largely driven by the degradation and resultant strategy dilemmas around the Pirelli tyres. In our show I expressed an opinion that whilst I'm really enjoying the races I wouldn't want F1 to become only about the tyres. I hadn't realised that Michael Schumacher was about to launch a broadside at the difficulty of managing the narrow window of performance and the high drop off of the tyre grip.

On the journey home I was talking with two F1 drivers, a world champion and a multiple race winner, and they had very similar concerns to Michael in that they can't push the cars anywhere near their limits. 'Physically my granny could drive the race' quipped one to underline how far away from the limits they are.

Pirelli have done a great job for F1 and judging by audience figures and comments the fans love this style of unpredictable racing. But it does become confusing when we have drivers popping up out of the blue with a fast but unrepeatable lap time in a session, and fancied runners simply disappearing backwards in the race. We need to see pure skill, speed and pace win through too, and not simply just applaud those who could tip toe the best or find the right set-up sweetspot on the day. There is room for both."
I am not surprised now when Rosberg or Jenson wins a grand prix!

Paul Hembrey can cut his sarcasm and do something about getting the tires to work. High track temparatures in Bahrain is not the only time the Pirellis sucked, it was also in China where the track temparature was considerably lower.

If you are wondering where all the artificial racing is coming from... Its the mad man Bernie

Quote:
Pirelli was the right choice for 2011 because the alternative tire suppliers did not want to spice up formula one.

That is the claim of Bernie Ecclestone, who in recent days has thanked the Italian marque for agreeing to deliberately produce tires that degrade quickly.

"Only Pirelli would do it, and we must thank them. It was brave and the show has improved. Michelin and Bridgestone refused to build tires like this because they were worried about their image," he said in an interview with Swiss newspaper Blick.
A request to all the new fans following F1, please dont kill F1!
Old 1st May 2012, 10:48   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
"There was not one lap in the race where you could go flat out. You really have to take it carefully and manage the tyres, so it's very challenging. But it worked out fine, and the strategy was also perfect."
[COLOR=#22229c]Rosberg says victory in China was far from easy due to tyre management - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com[/COLOR]
A. Not going flat out and driving at 60-70% are two COMPLETELY different things.

B. Pl read what he says carefully.
Quote:
"You really have to take it carefully and manage the tyres, so it's very challenging"
Old 1st May 2012, 11:02   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
If you are wondering where all the artificial racing is coming from... Its the mad man Bernie

A request to all the new fans following F1, please dont kill F1!
F1 has got sucked into the massive development in technology each year, as a result rules need to be more restrictive, which has led to most cars looking very similar and having similar technical characteristics. Aero is taking over and we had no overtaking.

How does one change that?

DRS, KERS were and are a big help.

The only avenue left are tires. If you do really think about it, it is far less "artificial" than DRS & KERS.
Teams need to understand them better and setup cars differently. How can people object to something that is 100% fair! One tire manufacturer ensures not tailor made to suit any one team.

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO F1!

It really baffles me how so many people here are bashing the tires. Dont forget F1 was losing its fan base due to the earlier snooze fest days. This is Bernie's last throw of the dice.

Last edited by Hatari : 1st May 2012 at 11:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks