Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 14:02   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2012 Formula One Season

So Ferrari isn't happy with it's performance. If they have another year like 2011, Alonso would be frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Not a question on Massa's current rant.

What do you folks think on where he will land up in 2013 ?
I don't think the Scuderia will host him. He might land in one of the midfield teams.... Thoughts please !
Lot depends on how he does this year + the fact how well Kubica recovers. If he recovers well, he's most likely out irrespective of how he performs. Another year like 2011 and he might be out of F1.
Old 10th February 2012, 14:05   #107
mgh
BHPian

It's official that Ferrari are not happy
Pat Fry says Ferrari not happy with where it is at the moment with new F1 car - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com
Old 10th February 2012, 15:47   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Media has really twisted Massa's words when he said that Ferrari is going to spend more time on collecting data since its a completely new car compared to the F150. And if you folks are still worried about the fastest that Ferrari could do, they have used only the Medium & Hard compound tires so far in testing.

Here are Massa's comments from InsideFerrari:

Felipe Massa: “I think the F2012 could well suit my driving style better than the previous car: for example, there is much less understeer. It’s only a case of working on it calmly and with concentration and that’s what we will continue to do over the next few days when Fernando drives. I think this car has great potential, also taking into account the point we are at now. Is this the ugliest Ferrari I’ve ever driven? I don’t know, as from the cockpit you can’t see the front wing and therefore not the step either: but definitely from the outside, it’s not the prettiest…”
To follow up on Massa's comments. Here's what Pat Fry (technical director) had to say about the F2012: Click

I think there is a fundamental issue with the car.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
To follow up on Massa's comments. Here's what Pat Fry (technical director) had to say about the F2012: Click

I think there is a fundamental issue with the car.
To quote what Pat Fry said!

Quote:
"I think there is a lot of room for us to improve from where we are. Reliability wise it is good. Performance wise I think we are okay, but we can play around with the performance and improve [the car in] some corners and some particular parts of the corner, but I would not say I am happy yet until we get the whole thing working."
Quote:
"We are working through a reasonably large matrix here, so on each run we are trying almost a different configuration. There is a lot of analysis here and then back at the factory. We are using the simulation and the simulator to make sure everything ties in, so we can put the right package together."
We are not concentrating on taking the fuel out and trying to set a laptime. With only 12 days of testing before the next race, we have to make the most of all the time we have got.
Its a new car and they are trying to collect data to validate their CAE numbers. Thats what the teams are supposed to do in testing, not do PR glory runs on testing.

It matters ONLY if Ferrari has a dog in red clothing in Melbourne, take the media twisties with a pinch of salt until the season starts. I repeat, its testing and they are doing their job!
Old 10th February 2012, 19:27   #110
Senior - BHPian

Well Alonso seems to be doing pretty decent in testing so far; so problems with Ferrari seems to be far fetched, well atleast for the moment.

Didnt anyone invite Hispanias to the party?!! I Was looking forward to Karthikeyan setting the lap times on fire!!
Old 10th February 2012, 19:30   #111
mgh
BHPian

Anyway, in today's tests, Alonso is 0.7 sec faster than anyone else.
Old 10th February 2012, 19:34   #112
BHPian

HRT in limbo after two failed crash tests | News | F1 Pulse

Out of the 17 mandatory crash tests, HRT cleared 14, failed two and was unable to conduct one.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:00   #113
BANNED

Can someone explain what exactly happens every year at Jerez? In a very detailed manner too please.

As in what EXACTLY goes on, from what happens from the moment the car hits the track till the first race.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Can someone explain what exactly happens every year at Jerez? In a very detailed manner too please.

As in what EXACTLY goes on, from what happens from the moment the car hits the track till the first race.
To answer it in simple words the new season cars are tested in Jerez for various things such as performance, reliabiity, unforeseen problems etc. Also these tests give insights into what the other teams are up to.
Old 11th February 2012, 11:36   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
To answer it in simple words the new season cars are tested in Jerez for various things such as performance, reliabiity, unforeseen problems etc. Also these tests give insights into what the other teams are up to.

So on track there is unrestricted freedom? Why is Jerez the testing grounds? Is it due to location and the fact that testing on any one of the tracks on the calender could be considered preparation for the real race?
Old 11th February 2012, 11:40   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So on track there is unrestricted freedom? Why is Jerez the testing grounds? Is it due to location and the fact that testing on any one of the tracks on the calender could be considered preparation for the real race?
Unsrestricted freedom from what? Didnt get that point.

They normally have 2 - 3 pre-season testing sessions usually at Jerez, Barcelona. Yes the testing is done at these tracks due to location and also because all of the teams are based out of Europe.

I'm not too sure why testing is not done on any of the regular season tracks, but what you say may be true about it being considered race preparation.

Edit: Barcelona is on the regular seaon calendar. It's the Spanish GP.

Last edited by vikram_d : 11th February 2012 at 11:46.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:38   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Unsrestricted freedom from what? Didnt get that point.

They normally have 2 - 3 pre-season testing sessions usually at Jerez, Barcelona. Yes the testing is done at these tracks due to location and also because all of the teams are based out of Europe.

I'm not too sure why testing is not done on any of the regular season tracks, but what you say may be true about it being considered race preparation.

Edit: Barcelona is on the regular seaon calendar. It's the Spanish GP.
Freedom to "experiment" with the car, as in make additions / engineering amends that would not be allowed during the season.

Could minor "tweaks" be tested? Or does everything have to fit in with the engineering regulations?

We've seen that data recorder, which looks like a periscope/shark fin on the cars. I'm speaking about things like that.

And would the tires used be accounted as separate from the quota meant for the season?

And does Valencia switch with Catalunya every other year?
Old 11th February 2012, 14:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

Coming to conclusions based on testing times may be misleading, because not everyone may be pushing to the limit. Also Mercedes were using 2011 spec cars unlike most others who were using 2012 spec.

Out of 2012 spec cars, Lotus E20 is the quickest so far, as both Raikkonen and Grosjean demonstrated.

Biggest positive for me (as a Kimi fan) out of this is that Kimi is already feeling good about the car, and car is reasonably quicker.
We can look forward to his interviews after the podium.

Quote:
And would the tires used be accounted as separate from the quota meant for the season?
My understanding is that tyres are allocated for each race. Even if there are unused sets from one race, you don't get extra sets in the next race. So what happens in testing should be outside the normal allocations of tyres for race.
I think the same applies to other components like engine, gearbox etc. (correct me if i am wrong). So if you blow up an engine in testing, it won't count against the allocation of engines for the races.

Quote:
No, both are regular venues every year (unfortunately).

Last edited by SilentEngine : 11th February 2012 at 15:05.
Old 11th February 2012, 14:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Freedom to "experiment" with the car, as in make additions / engineering amends that would not be allowed during the season.
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
Could minor "tweaks" be tested? Or does everything have to fit in with the engineering regulations?
I think they can test all tweaks that fit within the regulations.

Quote:
We've seen that data recorder, which looks like a periscope/shark fin on the cars. I'm speaking about things like that.
I'm not sure as to what exactly the Periscope data logger is recording.

Quote:
Yes, the tyres used for testing are different from the season quota. I dont think they have a testing quota, or may be they do in the name of cost reduction.

The tyre manufacturers also keep coming up with new/better rubber compounds for each season. So even those get tested at these tests by all the teams.

Quote:
No Valencia is termed the European GP and Catalunya is the Spanish GP. The European GP earlier used to be held at the Nurburgring.

Last edited by vikram_d : 11th February 2012 at 15:00. Reason: Spell check
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 17:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

I suppose that the testing happens in Jerez because apart from it being based out of Europe and being near to the bases of most of the teams ( more importantly the big teams ) , its a track which is not disrupted by snow.
They are testing the new Pirellis which are supposedly much better than the disasters of last year.

Coming to Kimi .. he is unimpressed by the DRS since its makes overtaking easy love this guy and am loving it that he has not lost his touch given the first impressions
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks