Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 19:34   #1
BHPian

The 2012 Formula One Season

With the 2011 season coming to an end at Brazil and after a rather boring championship the eyes are set on 2012 season with likes of Lewis, Alonso, Kimi, Schumi etc wanting to dethrone Vettel!

The FIA has made a number of changes in the Sporting and Technical Regulations that govern Formula 1 for the 2012 season.
Technical and sporting rules altered for 2012 | News | F1 Pulse

Lets for for an exciting and competitive 2012 season
Old 7th December 2011, 23:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Formula One - 2012

f1pulse.com is down!
I like rules 3 &6 under changes to the sporting regulations.

The following is from Formula 1
Following Wednesday’s meeting of its World Motor Sport Council in New Delhi, India, the FIA has confirmed a number of Formula One rule changes for the 2012 season, most of which were already public knowledge.

The FIA is clamping down on engine mapping and exhaust positioning to effectively outlaw blown diffusers. There will be tougher side impact testing and new cars must now pass all crash tests prior to on-track testing.

During races, lapped drivers will be allowed to unlap themselves during a safety-car period, meaning no backmarkers will hinder the leaders at the restart. If in defending his position a driver leaves the racing line, he will not be allowed to retake it, and drivers will not be able to leave the track without good reason, thus banning such strategic moves as cutting chicanes during in-laps to save time and/or fuel.

In a change to the tyre rules, drivers will now be able to use all tyres allocated to them for the Grand Prix weekend on the Friday. They were previously limited to just three sets on the opening day. And on the testing front, there will now be one three-day in-season test in addition to the usual pre-season tests.

The full FIA statement:

FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Changes to the 2012 Technical Regulations

- All engine standard ECU set up and control parameters, which were formerly contained only within a Technical Directive, are now contained within the relevant parts of the Technical Regulations.
- The exhaust tailpipes are now strictly regulated in order to ensure that the aerodynamic effect exhaust gases have on the car is kept to an absolute minimum.
- Better marking of in-car emergency switches operated by marshals are now stipulated.
- The side impact structures will now have to be subjected to a further (upward) push-off test.

Changes to the 2012 Sporting Regulations

- Cars may no longer take part in pre-season testing without having passed all crash tests.
- There will now be a maximum race time of four hours to ensure that a lengthy suspension of a race does not result in a race that could run up to eight hours if left unregulated.
- Before the safety car returns to the pits all lapped cars will be allowed to unlap themselves and then join the back of the pack, ensuring a clean re-start without slower cars impeding those racing for the leading positions.
- Cars which were in the pit lane when a race is suspended will now be allowed to re-join the cars on the grid in the position they were in when the race was suspended.
- Drivers may no longer leave the track without a justifiable reason, i.e. cutting a chicane on reconnaissance laps or ‘in’ laps to save time and fuel.
- Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.
- One three-day test will be carried out during the season, formerly there were none.
- All stewards’ decisions which are not subject to appeal are now in one place instead of being in various places within the regulations.
- All tyres allocated to a driver may now be used on the first day of practice; formerly only three sets were permitted.

The 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar was confirmed as previously published.

Source: Formula 1
coolkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 18:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2012 Formula One Season

Quote:
Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.
I don't get this. What does it mean? Driver cannot move back to the racing line even if the maneuver failed? Did they bring this as a result of Hamilton-Massa clashes this season? This will cause more race disruptions with in-race investigations+penalties. IMO, too much policing!
Old 8th December 2011, 19:50   #4
mgh
BHPian

Spelling it out clearly that you cannot block somebody trying to overtake you. You can move across the track to block, but not move back again. The informal rule was there as far as I know, it has only been formalised.
News of the day is that McLaren aero chief is moving to the Malaysian team to be known as Caterham next season.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
Spelling it out clearly that you cannot block somebody trying to overtake you. You can move across the track to block, but not move back again. The informal rule was there as far as I know, it has only been formalised.
News of the day is that McLaren aero chief is moving to the Malaysian team to be known as Caterham next season.
I don't think this was an informal rule - it was already a rule. Weaving was not allowed - only one change in direction for a block. Infact I remember Hamilton being reprimanded for that back in 2009 (I think - don't remember which race).
Old 9th December 2011, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

2012 seats are filling up one by one.
LRGP have announced Romain Grosjean as their second driver, to partner Kimi Raikkonen.
Two out of these five may find themselves without a seat - Sutil, Petrov, Glock, Hulkenberg and Rubens. It would be a shame if Sutil is without a seat.

Confirmed list as of now:
Red Bull Racing Renault
1 Sebastian Vettel (DEU)
2 Mark Webber (AUS)

McLaren Mercedes
3 Jenson Button (GBR)
4 Lewis Hamilton (GBR)

Ferrari
5 Fernando Alonso (ESP)
6 Felipe Massa (BRA)

Mercedes
7 Michael Schumacher (DEU)
8 Nico Rosberg (DEU)

Lotus Renault
9 Kimi Raikkonen (FIN)
10 Romain Grosjean (FRA)

Force India Mercedes
11 TBA - likely Paul di Resta (GBR)
12 TBA - likely Nico Hulkenberg (DEU)

Sauber Ferrari
14 Kamui Kobayashi (JPN)
15 Sergio Perez Mendoza (MEX)

STR Ferrari
16 TBA - likely Jaime Alguersuari (ESP)
17 TBA - likely Sebastien Buemi (SUI)

Williams Renault
18/19 Pastor Maldonado (VEN)
19/18 TBA

Caterham Renault
20 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN)
21 Jarno Trulli (ITA)

HRT/TBA
22 Pedro de la Rosa (ESP) *signed but not in confirmed list yet
23 TBA - likely Daniel Ricciardo (AUS)

Marussia Cosworth
24 Timo Glock (DEU) *Rumors say Petrov may replace him
25 Charles Pic (FRA)

Last edited by SilentEngine : 9th December 2011 at 13:43.
SilentEngine is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Romain Grosjean will race alongside Kimi and bye bye to petrov as expected

Source: Romain Grosjean to race alongside Kimi Räikkönen in 2012

Guess sutil is destined to Williams, to pair with Maldonado
Old 9th December 2011, 15:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I don't think this was an informal rule - it was already a rule. Weaving was not allowed - only one change in direction for a block. Infact I remember Hamilton being reprimanded for that back in 2009 (I think - don't remember which race).
There was a rule that one cannot make more than one move. But in some incidents this year we saw drivers taking inside line to block the overtaking maneuver and then rejoining the racing line (informally making another move to block). Example Michael Schumacher on Hamilton in Monza!!
Old 9th December 2011, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
There was a rule that one cannot make more than one move. But in some incidents this year we saw drivers taking inside line to block the overtaking maneuver and then rejoining the racing line (informally making another move to block). Example Michael Schumacher on Hamilton in Monza!!
That is what I am talking about. I remember that incident. Hamilton wasn't close enough to make the maneuver stick. As long as there is enough room for the other driver, there shouldn't be any more rules which require more policing and thus more criticism.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
That is what I am talking about. I remember that incident. Hamilton wasn't close enough to make the maneuver stick. As long as there is enough room for the other driver, there shouldn't be any more rules which require more policing and thus more criticism.
There are two different rules here at work :
1. The driver in front, always has a right to the racing line through a corner. Many times we see that drivers who make ambitious lunges down the inside of their opponent are penalized, because the guy in front has the right to stick to the racing line through the corner.

2. The driver in front is allowed exactly one defensive move on his opponent.

What happened at Monza, was the genius of Michael Schumacher's mind at work. He simultaneously deployed both of these rules, making it impossible for the stewards to penalize him, as he was a) making exactly one defensive move, taking the inside line. Then, at the entry of a corner he was b) putting his car back on the racing line.

This new rule has just clarified the whole issue, but then, its going to lead to the death of the concept of defensive driving. A lot of wheel to wheel battles over the years have involved the use of various tactics (not all sporting mind you, but brilliant nevertheless) by the lead driver to ensure that he stays in front, such as

-> mild brake testing through the middle of a corner
-> engine remapping and adjustment of brake bias for certain sections of a race track to keep the attacking driver behind
-> Use of the 'hang out to dry' technique where the lead driver goes deeper than normal into a corner before braking, when his attacker is on the outside, which leads to the attacking driver being left to eat some grass and pebbles while the leading driver takes a less than optimal line through the corner.
-> Clever use of the rule book taking advantage of the grey areas between two rules, like what we saw in Monza 2011.

With the advent of DRS, and the one move defense, we were seeing a lot of boring overtakes as it is where the lead driver just pulls of the racing line like a backmarker and lets the attacker through. Now with this clarification, its going to be even more in the favor of the attacking driver. We might have lost the opportunity to watch how the most skilled F1 drivers like Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton keep their opponents at bay in slower cars, because now the rule book gives the attacker a free pass to barge through.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 9th December 2011 at 16:30.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:14   #11
mgh
BHPian

With Paul di Resta Rookie of the year by default (among the rookies, he had the best car), his seat seems assured. Sutil deserves a car better than what he has had so far. With SFI having more funds now, the car should be substantially better next year.
Would be happy if he stayed on at SFI. Changing teams at his juncture in the career would not be good for him unless he lands himself in one of the top three teams.
Officially, the positions left are two each with SFI and Toro Rosso, and one each with SRT and Williams.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania
What happened at Monza, was the genius of Michael Schumacher's mind at work. He simultaneously deployed both of these rules, making it impossible for the stewards to penalize him, as he was a) making exactly one defensive move, taking the inside line. Then, at the entry of a corner he was b) putting his car back on the racing line.
I know! Though i would say he was pushing the rules to the limit. Ross (Brawn) went on the radio asking him to leave space for Hamilton. Either way that was mighty fun to watch. With this new rule driver's would be compelled to move off the racing line for the fear of getting penalised. Why don't they just radio the driver to slow down to help overtaking!!

Too much policing. They are spoiling racing.
Old 10th December 2011, 10:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh
Sutil deserves a car better than what he has had so far. With SFI having more funds now, the car should be substantially better next year.
Would be happy if he stayed on at SFI. Changing teams at his juncture in the career would not be good for him unless he lands himself in one of the top three
I feel Sutil is overated. He couldn't dispose of Fisichella - who was destroyed by Alonso. After that he hasn't had a competitive team-mate to actually judge him. Now if he stays at SFI and destroys Di Riesta next year, i will change my opinion. Maybe so will Mercedes who are backing Di Riesta till date.

Mods: Sorry i couldn't figure out how to multi-quote using the Android app.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:11   #14
mgh
BHPian

Alonso would destroy most drivers today.
Definitely, Sutil is not a great driver, but he is certainly better than di Resta and Hulkenberg at the moment. SFI have also invested time in him.
A driver cannot be much better than the car he has.
In the old days, the contribution of a driver was much more. Today, the car is the most important, then only the driver.
Old 11th December 2011, 10:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I too agree that Sutil is better than Di Resta and Hulkenberg and it would make sense for him and SFI that he stays in SFI rather than moving to Williams. I think he spoiled a chance with Renalut by assaulting one of their official during the 2011 season.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks