Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 21:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 F1 - Australian Grand Prix

Great race from Button. He was going to win by a huge margin, till the SC cut his lead to nothing. I had expected Hamilton to stay 1st and pull away, instead it was Button who lead from Turn 1. Hamilton had a poor race by his own high standards.

I think Vettel lost some time behind MSC at the beginning, otherwise he might have been closer to Hamilton even earlier than the 2nd pit stop. Webber had a poor start and could've probably challenged Hamilton without that.

Alonso flattered the car, and I think he was in turn flattered by people dropping out in front of him. Massa was poor.

Grosjean was out too early, and Kimi had a good race. I think the timing of the SC worked against Kimi, otherwise I think he would've been closer to Alonso/Maldonado than Kobayashi.

Mercedes have good pace in qualifying, but poor race pace. I think they could upset a few teams like Redbull and Lotus in qualifying, only to frustrate them by their slow pace in the race. That could allow the leaders to escape and give us some really boring races.

Sauber seems to have decent pace, probably a little slower than Lotus, but not slow enough to be overtaken easily. Perez was running as high as 7th till the last lap after starting dead last. Good strategy call from Sauber.

I think Force India were a little disappointing because I had expected them to be better.

Did not pay attention to the others
Old 18th March 2012, 22:35   #62
mgh
BHPian

My take is slightly different.
McLaren and Red Bull will fight for the championships
Next three-Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes- Mercedes with a question mark, as they had problems with their tyres from second half of last year, which continues. Ferrari due to one reason alone-Alonso.
Sauber, SFI, Williams, and Toro Rosso-next lot.
Formula one should ask HRT to get out.
Old 18th March 2012, 23:17   #63
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful weelkend and was great to be back in front of the TV watching all the action!

And... how could one miss the old diabetic men doing commentry for Star Sports. Taking a leak every 5 odd laps is just too much. And... boy oh boy, Slater is getting too old now. He cant identify cars, mistaking a Redbull for a Ferrari is total madness!

Anyway, its Mclaren who did a quality job over the winter! Kudos to them. But OZ GP will never indicate the true potential of a car. The RBs arent far away from the Mclaren IMO. I will wait to see the order in Malaysia!

- Button drove like a champ. He was in total control of the race all the time
- Hamilton needs something more than a PussyCat in the garage
- Who said Vettel cant overtake!? He did really well to earn that 2nd position on the podium. I am happy that he has to fight it out this time around though!
- Webber being up there with the front runners after initially losing out positions early is just an indicator of some unexplored strengths of the RB car. I am sure the old man Newey will get it sorted out for Sepang
- Alonso, my respect for him has just doubled and tripled. I have always hated him from the days he started fighting Michael for his attitude around the track as a racing driver. But he has proved that he is a level above the rest by letting that pig of a car Ferrari created acheive more than what it deserves. A true racer, Respect!
- Poor luck for Michael. I hope Mercedes puts up a better show in Malaysia
- Wait till Rosberg's true qualities as a racing drivers start to show up this season. Master of all overrated drivers on the grid (including DiRiesta).
- Kimi did a good race and he dint look like he was away from F1 for a long time. 17th to 7th of the grid is not too bad!
- DiRiesta, the most overrated driver of the grid at the moment. FI needs a better driver if they need to be fighting strongly in the middle order.

Overall, it was nice fun and not boring like the last year's GP and cant wait for the next one!
Old 19th March 2012, 02:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

What an eventful race! McLaren is the team to beat now. Yes, RBR have pace, and Vettel got P2, but it was mostly down to SC, otherwise McLaren had an easy 1-2. Hamilton needs to up his game.

Solid drives from Kimi and Perez thorugh the field. It was funny when Kimi asked his team over radio why he is getting blue flags!

With lot of retirements at the front it's hard to assess the speed of teams. We don't know how Lotus would have fared in some clean air and where Schumi would have finished. Grosjean was a bit unlucky to get hit by Pasta.
Alonso put that Ferrari way above where it should have been. Massa by contrast was struggling to stay ahead of Williams, Sauber and STR.

IMO, this is how the teams are at the moment:
McLaren
RedBull
Mercedes, Lotus
Ferrari, Williams, Sauber - Ferrari slightly ahead because of Alonso
STR, SFI
Caterham and the rest

Was mostly following race live on Sky stream online. Star sports seems ridiculous in front of that. I had access to Speed TV here, but just put it on mute, they are just useless. American accent and F1 don't go that well.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 19th March 2012 at 02:12.
Old 19th March 2012, 06:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Amazing driving by Pastor Maldonado chasing down Alonso until it all ended onthe last lap.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 08:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Jenson drove a great race. Very restrained and put the hammer down only when needed. Vettel was lucky with the safety car. McLaren made a mistake with the fuel calculations and had to limit their pace from early on because they were using more fuel than the team had calculated they would. Jenson Button was 'more than marginal' on fuel during the Australian Grand Prix - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Alonso and the Ferrari pit crew did very well. Alonso and Massa’ 5 visits to the pits were the 5 quickest pit stops of the race. Very Impressive after what was happening last year. But they better get the car working soon.

Since 2000, a whopping 9 out 12 times, the Australian GP winner went on to win the championship. This holds good for the many closely contested seasons and the boring ones as well. Maybe a big coincidence but JB is in great shape indeed.
Old 19th March 2012, 08:57   #67
BANNED

The telecast was Terrible, the commetry was Horrible

Whats Fun if only the top 5 are shown in the telecast, never got to see the other cars fight it out. The mid-field was just negelected, and the cars at the back of the grid were not even shown to be a part of the race

F1 definately needs the Top-Gear Trio to host the show from now and the same producers shoot the entire F1 and telecast it. This would make F1 more interesting.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 09:07   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
- Kimi did a good race and he dint look like he was away from F1 for a long time. 17th to 7th of the grid is not too bad!
Except for only when he queried about the blue flags on the team radio.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Jenson drove a great race. Very restrained and put the hammer down only when needed. Vettel was lucky with the safety car. McLaren made a mistake with the fuel calculations and had to limit their pace from early on because they were using more fuel than the team had calculated they would. Jenson Button was 'more than marginal' on fuel during the Australian Grand Prix - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com
Thats just the usual PR talk by MW. Button has been strong around the street type circuits and I will wait till Malaysia to see if Mclaren really have such monster race pace over the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
Except for only when he queried about the blue flags on the team radio.

Kimi: "Why do I all the time get blue flags?".
Engineer: "Blue flags are for cars behind Kimi, they're not for you."

Last edited by anachronix : 19th March 2012 at 09:22.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:34   #70
BHPian

Pathetic Commentry !

Where on earth is Gary Anderson ????

Some one kick those 3 crazy buggers !
karizma_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 11:18   #71
BHPian

Why is Massa still in F1? OMG

edit - 11 wins out of 108 races in the last 6 years with his last win coming in 2008 and last podium in 2010.

Ferrari must be out of their minds!

Last edited by discobiscuit : 19th March 2012 at 11:23.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Pathetic Commentry !

Where on earth is Gary Anderson ????
He's left ESPN for Sky Sports (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Whats Fun if only the top 5 are shown in the telecast, never got to see the other cars fight it out. The mid-field was just negelected, and the cars at the back of the grid were not even shown to be a part of the race
Hasn't it always been that way? Of course this race had action going on for all positions (except 1st & last), and that was a refreshing change, so it made the race director's job quite difficult but who do most people want to see? WCs fighting it out for 2,3,4 or another double WC fight for 5,6 or an under-performing driver (Massa) fighting it out for 11-12-13? I think the only reason we still saw a lot (by comparison) of that part of race was because of Kimi (another WC) and Ferrari (Massa). Otherwise you only see mid-field battles when they overtake or go off the track. Another reason sponsors pay more money for top teams than the rest of the field.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:50   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic opener!!
'cept for lewis losing out.
I feel its going to be back to the one-on-one with McLaren and RBR this year, RBR replacing ferrari from earlier in the decade.

Off note, any body else spot this safety conscious Jack guy in Mercedes?
Attached Thumbnails
2012 F1 - Australian Grand Prix-20120318-12.45.33-large.jpg  

Old 19th March 2012, 11:53   #74
BANNED

Brilliant race. Now the DRS seems to becoming an artefact after the wind size reduction. I was a bit disappointed by the poor show of Ferrari (notwithstanding the heroics of Alonso). It is good to see Mercedes competitive. Look forward to some good performances by Schumi and Rosberg.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

A great start to the season. Mclaren vs Red Bull will be very interesting. RBs will still have some pace to unlock while Mclaren are arguably the best at developing a car through the season.

I dont see Ferrari mounting a serious challenge to either throughout the year.
Massa is unable to extract any pace out of a car that is not handling perfectly, doubt he will continue beyond the season.

Malaysia should answer all true questions on pace.

Most Viewed