Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix

I know the engineers push the performance - reliability envelope to the absolute limit in F1 but having material defects is quite bad.

Quote:
"The car at the moment is slow in a straight line and has poor traction and slow corner performance," confirmed Team Principal Stefano Domenicali post-race.
So, It doesn't read well for Sepang either. But rain is a great leveler.
Old 21st March 2012, 11:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
My top 10 would be something like this for the Sunday's race

1) Hamilton
2) Michael Schumacher
3) Jenson Button
4) Vettel
5) Alonso
6) Kimi Raikonnen
7) Nico Roseberg
8) Mark Webber
9) Nico Hulkenberg
10)Paul Di Riesta
Top 6 might be same drivers but cant say about the order. Vettel & Jenson are strong in rain. I think Jenson won both the wet races last year & Vettel won his first GP in rain hit Monza for the STR.

I don't think Nico R is very good in rain (or at least I can't remember the last time he performed above par in rain) while Webber does do well in rain. So I would put Webber above Nico R.

9th-10th are total unknown. Could be any of the Williams, FIF1, Sauber or STR drivers. But I expect to see half of them + Massa in the barriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

So, It doesn't read well for Sepang either. But rain is a great leveler.
Wouldn't poor traction actually create more problems in the rain?
Old 21st March 2012, 12:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Herman Tilke and Bernd Maylander

Source: MercedesAMG F1 Fans page on FB

2012 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix-462639_418603151490115_386147001402397_1878796_1094662171_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Wouldn't poor traction actually create more problems in the rain?
Yes!
Old 21st March 2012, 15:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

The controversial(?) rear wing on the Merc may help them even more in Sepang due to the long straights, especially in qualifying where usage of DRS is unrestricted. So we might see a Mercedes on pole in Sepang.

Getting heat into the tires will be even more important in a wet race. McLaren seem to be quite good at it, while RedBull and Lotus less so (based on Vettel and Kimi both struggling for a few laps after SC in Australia). Mercedes and Ferrari (Alonso) also seem to have good one-lap pace. A rain affected qualifying could see Redbull and Lotus towards the end of the top ten. So I think in a race-affected race, Jenson/Lewis/Schumacher/Alonso have more chances of a victory than Vettel/Kimi.

However, the problem with Mercedes and Ferrari seem to be that they use up their tires pretty soon. Their chances will very much depend on how fast they wear out the tires in the rain. In the dry, if soft(er) tires wear out soon, they have a choice of running more laps on the hard(er) tire choice for the race. No such choice in the rain.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

A picture of the 6 Champions fighting this year from Melbourne

2012 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix-gruppenfotogpaustralien2012fotoshowimagebde93621580117.jpg
Old 21st March 2012, 16:09   #21
F50
Senior - BHPian

^^ Aah! I wonder why Schumacher and Vettel were together for an interview. The picture explains.

Coming to Malaysia, I just hope Mercedes have solved their reliability issues, need to see Schumi in action. Mclaren look strong and I sure wanna see Vettel crack up with ok-ok performing Red Bull.

Its really strange to see a car (Red Bull) with smallest engine (renault) on the grid winning against heavy weights like Ferrari and Mercedes. This shows how much F1 has inclined too much towards Aerodynamics.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Its really strange to see a car (Red Bull) with smallest engine (renault) on the grid winning against heavy weights like Ferrari and Mercedes. This shows how much F1 has inclined too much towards Aerodynamics.
I guess you meant least power (and not smallest). But I agree. There should be wider tyres, narrower cars, smaller wings, no F-ducts/DRS/EBDs/double diffusers (I know latter 2 have been banned) and engines which produce 1000+ HP. Focus should be on getting the highest power/L with highest mileage - something that can be useful for road cars.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
And I somehow dont like it. This is like racing airplanes on tracks albeit inverted. Clip those wings and reduce tire width. Then we will see who is the best.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:31   #24
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you meant least power (and not smallest). But I agree. There should be wider tyres, narrower cars, smaller wings, no F-ducts/DRS/EBDs/double diffusers (I know latter 2 have been banned) and engines which produce 1000+ HP. Focus should be on getting the highest power/L with highest mileage - something that can be useful for road cars.
Yeah least powered. Thanks for correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
And I somehow dont like it. This is like racing airplanes on tracks albeit inverted. Clip those wings and reduce tire width. Then we will see who is the best.
And please bring refueling back! No matter what regulations are introduced there is always going to be a gap in the field. Top-runners, mid-fielders and tail-enders and HRT
Old 21st March 2012, 17:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why reduce tyre width? Reducing width & wings at the same time will reduce overall grip by a huge margin which will make for extremely dangerous racing. Reducing wings & increasing tyre width will reducing downforce but will be compensated by mechanical grip. That will reduce "dirty air" for the following car thus allowing to follow a car closely through fast turns.

To add to that no tyre stops and of course no re-fueling. Overtake on track, not in the pits.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is GP2 and other spec car series if you like that kind of racing.

I want F1 to go back to atleast 2008, that would be more fun. It would be awesome if they can bring in the V12 monsters too
Old 21st March 2012, 17:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Why reduce tyre width? Reducing width & wings at the same time will reduce overall grip by a huge margin which will make for extremely dangerous racing. Reducing wings & increasing tyre width will reducing downforce but will be compensated by mechanical grip. That will reduce "dirty air" for the following car thus allowing to follow a car closely through fast turns.

To add to that no tyre stops and of course no re-fueling. Overtake on track, not in the pits.
Why not have an A1 GP or a Nascar then? Why do we need Formula 1 at all? And I completely agree with F50. Bring back refuelling. It only added to drama and spectacle of the whole thing.

Formula 1 is not only about best drivers. It is about the best of everything. Man, machine and technology.

And while I am on this rant, bring back multiple tyre suppliers.

Last edited by vikram_d : 21st March 2012 at 17:44.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Focus should be on getting the highest power/L with highest mileage - something that can be useful for road cars.
Why should it be? This isn't a mileage contest or an engine power context. Of course, there is some incentive for producing more efficient engines since then you have to carry less weight (fuel).

Let the team who can produce the fastest car within the applicable regulations win - whether they produce it by having a more efficient engine or more efficient aero or by reducing weight - it doesn't matter.

Engine development is now frozen to reduce costs. Probably teams can gain more time and save more money by designing better aero than by producing more powerful engines. Which means teams will anyway concentrate on aero even if engine freeze is removed.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
There is GP2 and other spec car series if you like that kind of racing.

I want F1 to go back to atleast 2008, that would be more fun. It would be awesome if they can bring in the V12 monsters too
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Why not have an A1 GP or a Nascar then? Why do we need Formula 1 at all? And I completely agree with F50. Bring back refuelling. It only added to drama and spectacle of the whole thing.
I frankly want Formula One to go back to 1989-90s period though without compromising safety. In short something that will shift the focus from aerodynamics to mechanical grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Engine development is now frozen to reduce costs. Probably teams can gain more time and save more money by designing better aero than by producing more powerful engines. Which means teams will anyway concentrate on aero even if engine freeze is removed.
1.6L Turbos from 2014?

Last edited by akshay380 : 21st March 2012 at 17:46.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 17:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

Formula 1 is not only about best drivers. It is about the best of everything. Man, machine and technology.

And while I am on this rant, bring back multiple tyre suppliers.
And with wider tyres and reduced wings it won't be the best machine out there? What about other parts of the car? Most importantly engine. I don't think it's the aerodynamics of an F1 car that mesmerizes most of the fans following F1. It's the speed.

There are other areas in the car which can be worked on. Too much stress has been put on aerodynamics.

That's the point some of us are trying to make.

Quote:
I frankly want Formula One to go back to 1989-90s period though without compromising safety. In short something that will shift the focus from aerodynamics to mechanical grip.
Wholeheartedly agree. And add to that turbo engines producing 1000+ HP

Quote:
Why should it be? This isn't a mileage contest or an engine power context. Of course, there is some incentive for producing more efficient engines since then you have to carry less weight (fuel).
Yes, which is amongst the reasons why Renault have been WCs (as engine suppliers) for the past 2 years (drinks less fuel).

Quote:
Let the team who can produce the fastest car within the applicable regulations win - whether they produce it by having a more efficient engine or more efficient aero or by reducing weight - it doesn't matter.
Aero spoils overtaking producing some of the most boring races I have ever seen in aero tracks like Barcelona. That's the only reason why I am against it. And since it helps a car being pursued to produce "dirty air" they have no reason to "clean" it. Which is why mechanical grip is better.

I mean who enjoys watching a race where there's no overtaking because fast turns do not allow for close pursuit? Result of that is fake overtaking = DRS wing.

Last edited by asr245 : 21st March 2012 at 18:09.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed